Does anyone know the motorway through Rouen?

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Teasy2007, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Hi we always use the motorway from Dunkirk through Rouen down to Marboue BUT Tom Tom always takes us off the motorway, round the town and over the river before joining what seems to be the same motorway. It does the same thing on the way back! I have looked on Auto Route and a 2010 map but niether show clearly if the motorway runs straight through Rouen.

My question is, has anyone followed the motorway and does it save us the trouble of coming off and rejoining or do we have to follow Tom Tom?

Ginny

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi

there is no motorway around or through Rouen ..

I hate the place and always try to avoid by going North of the town and crossing the river near St Maillier sur Seine .. where we usually stop for a night on the aire .. or at the one in Honfleur

Plan your route on Via Michelin, it has extremely clear mapping .. best in my opinion

3. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Don't take the underpasses in Rouen, Low headroom:Eeek:

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

>> Does anyone know the motorway through Rouen?

Not sure, but you hum it and then I'll play along.

5. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Too Late !!!!! We went under the underpass in the spring of 2009 - followed by DShague! he had the sense to duck out before the bridge, we just ducked!!!! Thankfully we had 1 inch to spare - exactly - and lived to breathe a sigh of relief!

Ginny

6. dshague

dshague Funster

remember it well .i was following you and you went down that underpass like a bat out of hell .if brenda had not seen that warning marker over your van we would have lost our over cab .:Rofl1:
    if you rember mike went left were tom tom said right and edgar following did turn to the right missing out the underpass and was sat in the cafe as we passed him by driving round ring road :Rofl1:
    have a good time :thumb:

7. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

WISH i had read this before my June trip!:Doh:

8. scholesman

scholesman Funster

Hi
    I've just returned from France and drove down through Rouen on a couple of occasions, I don't believe the motorway goes through it at all. I drove via my Tom Tom and on both occasions took me down and round to the right (not over the river) and out by the railway sidings/commercial area, coming back it brought me in alongside the Siene.
    Going down the Tom Tom was set on limited speed no tolls.coming back it was set on fastest route non toll.

9. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Like Jim, I too hate Rouen, I must have been through it over 20 times with and without navigators and I always seem to go a different way and or get lost.

Doug...

10. Castaway

Castaway Funster

Rouen is a horrible place to drive through, I wish 'they' would hurry up and build a proper motorway/bypass for it!

11. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

round the town we went

We had also to came back via the railway sidings and the river on the left, have done it bothways.. always getting lost, but so far have not come across the underpast.... plenty of traffic and I have heard the French giving me what for with there horns as I changed lanes to get in to the right one. I use a pioneer sat and that does get you through the horrid place OK if I follow the directions which I must admit I do not all the time.

Bob:thumb:

12. franbee

franbee Read Only Funster

We've done Rouen a few times too, going down seems ok, railway sidings etc, but coming back in May we got lost and ended up in the town centre. Someone has given me instructions how to avoid it altogether, if anyone wants, I'll look it out and post it.

13. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

I just remembered; there was one time I got so lost with a stupid navigator I had on a laptop that we ended up a couple of miles down stream of the town and crossed the river by ferry!!!!! It was a pretty run if not long-winded and the ferry was FREE!!!!

Doug...

14. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

About 20 years ago , we got lost in Rouen , ended up going down some narrow cobbled back streets, and this was pulling a caravan ... as you can imagine, a nightmare !

Anyway, suddenly a cat ran out in front but was lucky to roll through below the car , last I saw was it running away .. we stopped to check all was ok, but were soon surrounded by irate French .. shouting and gesturing , I got the feeling they didn't like us :Laughing:

Ever since I've avoided Rouen like the plague

15. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

I think you are right, it might not have been a motorway, but it was a large dual carriageway. On the way back it takes us off the road but over the top of the road just before we turn off, it signs to Abbeyville, which is more or less on the way home. That is why I wondered if we should stay on it!

Ginny

16. madbluemad

madbluemad

Yep, we did the railway sidings lap of honour in June. Seems its a must see tourist destination. :Rofl1::Rofl1:

Jim
    :Laughing:

17. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

But of course -- just remember who invented them !!

18. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

We always went through Rouen (or the Ruin as we called it) on our way down to the Vendee.. first time we went wandering round Rouen and ended up near Elbouf never found this low underpass though!!.. coming back we missed the turning for Abbeyville and Calais but skirted the town but we found a garage with really cheap diesel so Bonus!!second time heading down to Spain we came off a turning too early but got back on line fairly easilywithout going to Elbouef this time..coming back that time we actually found the sign for Calais and followed it back toward the A28 no probs

Third time we got it spot on found the turning for Evreaux and Chartres (I think it was those can't remember the road number though) and just trolleyed on through as just about ten minutes or so down the road there is a large car park on the right where we stopped for a brew and a rest and across the road there is a large church cut into the hillside good for the piccies

Every time we went through Rouen we never found those low underpasses..Thankfully!!!

19. franbee

franbee Read Only Funster

Someone on another site said 'I think after ordering the direction signs for the town, they sent them for somewhere else, but they put them up anyway'.

20. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Hi all,

Advice I've been given re Rouen, is to tag on behind a Spanish or Portugese registered truck, as those drivers know the route like the back of their hand. You'll just have to hope that they are not making a drop, or a pick up on the way through. :Laughing:

Cheers,

Jock.

P.S. That advice came from an experienced continental trucker.