Does Anyone Insure Motorhome Parked on the Road?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by StitchUp, Feb 26, 2013.

1. StitchUp

StitchUp Read Only Funster

Last year I insured with MHF and I keep my motorhome on the road outside my home - it's a service road so no through traffic.

I know many insurers are withdrawing from insuring motorhomes parked on the road so I'm trying to discover which companies still do and what sort of premiums.

My Burstner 748 is insured for £29k fully comp with one additional driver. £440 with breakdown cover.

Cheers

2. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

Our insurer cancelled our insurance with a months notice saying they didnt unsure MH's left on the roadway.
    Panicked but found Comfort insured us but fulltiming as we are we now leave it everywhere but nearly always on sites.

3. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

We are insured with Safeguard, our vehicle is parked in a residents off road car park. Safeguard classify us as being parked on the public highway. Comfort would not insure us at all after being insured with them at the same location for 8 years.

Brisey.

4. duane0001

duane0001 Read Only Funster

I would imagine a Cat 1 alarm, Imobiliser would make a differance to wether they would insure you on the road or not
    As you can see mine is on the road but i have a cat 1 perimeter alarm and interanal alarm plus secondary imobiliser and my insurance is £244 fully comp for £25000 insured
    Oh and the alarm also senses battery drain and its anti jack incase someone is knicking my alloys

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  5. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

I have a VanBitz Cat. 1 alarm fitted along with an immobiliser and a tracker and Comfort still refused to insure us.

Brisey.

6. Kevinthecat

Kevinthecat Funster

My last van was parked on the street and insured through Frank Pickles can't remember which insurance company. My new van is stored at CC site. Must admit I sleep a lot better now .

7. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Safeguard is your best bet

Frank Pickles can get older motorhomes insured but they have an upper value price limit. They couldnt insure our newer 07 motorhome.

Those that do insure the vehicle for being parked overnight on the road do have very high insurance rates, but these can be lowered by having an alarm and tracker installed providing they meet the insurers specifications, so if you dont yet have these, check with the insurer before getting them fitted.

8. StitchUp

Fortunately they haven't withdrawn insurance cover however, the cost has increased by £60. The insurers are AVIVA.

The brokers said they wouldn't take on any motorhome parked on the road but would continue renewing for existing customers.

I was surprised how little one saves for having extensive security devices fitted - £20 on a premium of £440!

9. Philiphall

Philiphall Funster

I assume the insurance company dont know your fulltiming? - I would love to get fulltime insurance:Smile:

10. Welsh girl

Our van has it all a tracker alarm imobiliser and caravan guard still wouldn't insure us.
    Something about high value and not being able to insure us because of that.

Yes comfort know we are fulltiming, we pay about double what we used to pay not fulltiming but much better peace of mind.

11. Philiphall

Philiphall Funster

Oh great reckon I will move from caravan guard to comfort next year then! I am just on a very long holiday according to caravan guard

12. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

13. Welsh girl

Thats what we used to say but with a tracker they can tell exactly where you are at any time, they have ways, big brother is watching and being insurers they can get the details from the tracking companies and I must admit I sleep better telling them the truth, any excuse and all that!!!

14. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I asked Comfort for a quote and although I have private off road parking (shared between 12 apartments in a quiet area in a small village) they refused to insure me without my 'own' marked out parking place !!

Safeguard on the otherhand said no probs at all! and their quote was actually the best from anyone :Smile:

15. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

We were originally quoted over £1k for our mh insurance but the security devices brought it down lower than your premium

16. StitchUp

It's all a bl00dy racket!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Larby

Larby Funster

I have been checking out a few Insurance quotes for the MH.
    I insured with Stavely Head last year for the first time so no NCB, 3 months left to make it 5 years with driving whilst using mobile !! and 6 months short of 3 years on a claim on company car, disputed but the insurance company blamed me even though he hit me in the rear whilst I was reversing into a kerbside space.
    So I paid £306.32 not bad really. Time now to renew with 1 year's NCB, conviction time expired so just claim but 3 years+.
    Quote came in at £276.22, I sent them an email pointing out NCB is typicall y 25-30% so they must do better as that is only 9.8% lower.
    Reply came back, conviction gone but claim still logged, no mention of NCB but revised down to £263.67. Only 14% discount but that's not a bad price is it?? Full Comp, me and her, 90 days Euro cover, 5000 miles pa although this may need upping.
    Did some other enquiries, Saga weren't anywhere near at £452, others came out around £350.

Did similar with car, Churchill quoted £159, told them they must do better, the poor girl said that's impossible as that is the lowest premium they do and I was the first she had come across that qualified.
    I spoke to a supervisor saying I will cancel then renew online at £148.40.
    She matched the £148.40, another result
    I'll be going through the motions next month with the AA!

I'm getting the hang of this retired lark, plenty of time to be a nuisance, especially companies! Make 'em grovel for every penny!

18. CathR

CathR Funster

I've just started and will keep my van on the road round the back of my house which gives access to a row of garages. Didn't seem to be a problem for Adrian Flux. Only need to have Cat 2 security which is standard for VWT5. Cost £327 for £30k which I didn't think was bad. This is less than my car which is less than third the value.

19. duane0001

duane0001 Read Only Funster

20. Viennese

Viennese Funster

I keep mine either on the road outside my house, or on a friend's driveway. Through Safeguard it is covered in both places, and has a Cat 1 Sigma alarm + immobiliser. Cost around £420.

I had one stolen from outside my house 4 years ago but Safeguard don't seem to mind. That was insured through Saga who wanted a lot more money to insure in both places. I wish someone would steal this one!!

Catherine

• Like Like x 1