Does anyone have an NV200 (VW or Bongo esque) conversion? (1 Viewer)

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Well, 2 weeks have passed since our van left us, and deciding what to do next.

One of our ideas is to do a good quality self build on a Nissan NV200 - and make a stealthy micro camper, similar in internal style to a VW T5, but externally and more similar to a modern day Bongo. High spec, and lots of ideas, though what is actually possible remains to be seen.

Just exercising brain at the moment.

Would be keen to hear of any self builders or owners of such vans so we can learn from you and any mistakes made.

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Yes, thanks.
Far from an ideal design for us - some weird bits on it like blow up mattress! But that is the base van.
Sussex & Hillside do branded ones as well, but neither are perfect for our ways :) After lots of days in a campervan we are quite specific so hence DIY idea.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We've had our Bongo for nearly 9 years and I designed a kitchen unit that takes the place of one of the rear split seats. The rest of the vehicle is unconverted so that we can transport 6 with the kitchen in and, theoretically 8 without. We can also sleep 4 adults.

Our kitchen can be used while inside the camper or whilst standing outside.

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
There is only 2 of us, so not worried about that. Kitchen accessible from outside was one of the wifes ideas yesterday. where we plan to locate it we could (twin sliding doors) - but as usual the space is limited and the hob/sinks we like are glass hinged to the back which would prevent it being used from the outside. Of course could get ones without the glass top, but that's the ones we like. Need to go to a showroom and look at bits I think

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
My brother in law has a Renaut Trafic that he has converted into a small campervan.

I think converting a VW is easier as there are lots of kits/self builders around. His main difficulty has been building all things to fit from 'scratch'. His kitchen is a number of cut down units from Ikea. It looks good but he recognises he doesn't have the finish he would ideally like as he isn't an experienced carpenter.

It required a lot of thought and research and so I suspect if you like that sort of thing you will enjoy it.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
@Terry is your man when it comes to self-build advice. He has done conversions for a few Funsters and is a great source of information and advice.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Have you viewed a Nissan NV ?

I'm currently looking at white vans (work related) and was underwhelmed by the NV, despite the very good prices available.
Not sure if I'd commit the time and resources to convert what is basically a 'cheap disposable van'.
They've only got a 1.5dci engine and are certainly built to a price... I've ruled them out as the payload is too small, I don't know how well they'd fair with a conversion in the back.

There are some cracking deals on Ducatos/Boxer/Relay. A Citroen Relay (Enterprise) is a couple of thousand more but you get so much more van for the money. Air con, Sat Nav, 2.2 130engine, six speed gearbox, good payload. An L1H1 vehicle is also not much bigger than the NV.
You could go for an L1H2 which would also give you standing room and not have to worry about a pop top or crouching all the time (y)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Choose your base vehicle wisely -It will cost the same to convert a old shed as it will a new vehicle -I keep promising to finish off my Vito that I bought exactly a year ago (I know because my ins is due Wednesday )We set off with good intentions insulating and lining it out then it stood while I used it more than my car :D-Basicly lent van out to whoever and last month we made the decision to start again which lasted 2 days while we put Veltrim inside to tidy what was scratched wall boards and made the side kitchen units and dismantled the Caddy camper that Paul had completely wrecked by also using it for work.We took out the bits that would be handy in the vito and burnt the rest -been stood since :LOL:We have pencilled in a weekend which will see it finished around Nov 14 ish but we have done this lots of times over the last year ;):LOL:
terry

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
My brother in law had a new luner NV200 but found it to small,the blow up mattress works, well but its were you get change to
go to bed etc (unless you put up awning every outing,change it after 6 months to a Tribute PVC think it was a 669

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
We've had our Bongo for nearly 9 years and I designed a kitchen unit that takes the place of one of the rear split seats. The rest of the vehicle is unconverted so that we can transport 6 with the kitchen in and, theoretically 8 without. We can also sleep 4 adults.

Our kitchen can be used while inside the camper or whilst standing outside.
hi. i had a bongo as well for a few years i did a similar kitchen conversion . mine didnt have the lift up roof so used it like this
pulled my teardrop as well made a good little outfit .
bongo was super reliable .
pics taken at sw bongo bash in 09.

Attachments

• Bongo tripsept 09 015.jpg
    Bongo tripsept 09 015.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 32

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Well, 2 weeks have passed since our van left us, and deciding what to do next.

One of our ideas is to do a good quality self build on a Nissan NV200 - and make a stealthy micro camper, similar in internal style to a VW T5, but externally and more similar to a modern day Bongo. High spec, and lots of ideas, though what is actually possible remains to be seen.

Just exercising brain at the moment.

Would be keen to hear of any self builders or owners of such vans so we can learn from you and any mistakes made.

you could always have a look at the Bongofury site..........

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
I bought a Swift Kon-Tiki new in July. It as a robotised gears. I also have a Bongo which I have had for four years. Auto box is far better than the Fiat.Year 2000, 2500cc, auto, LPG conversion. 100000 km on the clock. Runs as smooth as silk.
Thats the kitchen in the avater. I am still going to it, great piece of kit.

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Thanks for the replies

We are aware its a small van, and won't be suitable for most - with 1300+ nights in a 4.8m transit, and we go away for months with a bike and little tent cycling 1000 miles, fair to say we are experienced enough to know the pros n cons - and as we think our tranny was unbeatable, we need to go very different, so very much idea is "micro camper, stealthy, well equipped, and better than a tent" - so not a "motorhome". We don't sit around in the vans - if we're somewhere, we're out walking/biking/exploring, so just cook/sleep in it - never sit around lounging in a campsite (not for us). Modern day bongo is the sort of idea - so thanks for the info on them. So hence the research before we commit (if we do) - and yeah to do well a conversion costs the same on a new van or old!! (We'll be buying new- and a new conversion)

Not decided yet, hence researching, but as our transit was so good, we're not trying to replace it, but to enable us to do something different in a very discreet stealthy way :)

@Jenben - Trafic is quite a bit bigger. And yes, VW would be easier as so many bits ready made. But VWs bigger than we want (and we don't like VW to be honest!)

@moho and @Terry - yes I've seen the van. The size we want is dictating the van more than anything, we had a transit and we want shorter, lower, and narrower, and this forces micro camper size (<4.5m long, <2m high, <1.7 wide) etc. Nothing else in this size has the load size/payload of the NV200. It is different size by far to the Ducato/Boxer/Relay - and by far cheaper (though cost isn't a concern). The 1.5 isn't a slouch though (90ps 5spd /110ps 6sp £+500,) not decided which variant yet as we prefer 5sp as the engine tends to be lazier. Payload 750kg is plenty on a small build! (We go backpacking for months with 10kg each, and cycling with 20kg each). Not sure what spec you looked at, but fully kitted (See Tekna spec - all electronics, ac, cruise, rear camera, satnav, blue tooth, electric most things, touch screen) 5yr warrantee etc (massive discount at the moment) . Cab is made to a price, but felt a reasonable place to be, certainly better kitted than both our cars and our last van, but yes, not top quality but seemed good enough. Low spec van was cheap n cheerful though and not many toys. If you meant the Dispatch L1H1 - then its a fair bit bigger: 1,942mm x 1,895mm x 4,805mm vs. 1,860mm x 1,695mm x 4,400mm - and we want small :)

@GeriatricWanderer - it has both OS and NS sliding doors though our old van spent most time abroad with NS only and really didn't ever bother or cause us to notice which side it was on.

@musson - yes the Lunar is a weird design - really weird - we won't be copying anything from that!

Getting loads of info from here and other places, so getting good info. Just a few challenges to get head around before we decide. Need to decide by xmas to get a new empty van made by March.... Interestingly, we said it'd be bl**dy useful as just a car anyway lol!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back