Does anyone have a mini tracker fitted? (1 Viewer)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi we are considering buying one of those little Gps tracker devises which reports back to your phone. We don't want an expensive one with a yearly subscription.

Has anyone fitted one of these and does it work??

Ginny

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Yes, my son fitted one to my 17 year old grandson's car after he passed his test. He was given a maximum speed limit and if he exceeded the figure it would text my son advising him of the speed attained and the location - as he is a good lad he never had a text.::bigsmile: however, they can check where he is at any time in case they are concerned.

It was si good that I got one myself to put in the motorhome. I can program it to text me if it moves outside a set perimeter and I can text it to confirm it is where it should be, interesting to check when in service that it is where it should be!

Get the ones from ebay, they are a lot cheaper than the Backtome ones, I paid half what my son did and we discovered that they were exactly the same devices.

Mike

Ps mine is like this one: Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Tracker

Yes, my son fitted one to my 17 year old grandson's car after he passed his test. He was given a maximum speed limit and if he exceeded the figure it would text my son advising him of the speed attained and the location - as he is a good lad he never had a text.::bigsmile: however, they can check where he is at any time in case they are concerned.

It was si good that I got one myself to put in the motorhome. I can program it to text me if it moves outside a set perimeter and I can text it to confirm it is where it should be, interesting to check when in service that it is where it should be!

Get the ones from ebay, they are a lot cheaper than the Backtome ones, I paid half what my son did and we discovered that they were exactly the same devices.

Mike

Ps mine is like this one: Link Removed

Hi, thanks for the information, how difficult was it to fit, did you have to consider where to hide it and did you tell your insurance company or do they just want the expensive trackers?

Ginny

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
evidently they do work to within a few 10's of mtrs.

now the bit that makes them pretty worthless.....

your insurers aint interested...its not a recognised device.

the police aint interested..... if it cant be tracked via GPS in realtime they cant track it using their OFFICIAL in car tracking system....sim card is not GPS.

you track it yourself via web based maps but when you find it and a bunch of no-necked, cauliflower eared thugs (or worse still...Itinerant's) are joyriding in, or dismantling, it what you going to do...ask nicely for it back ?

there are better ways to throw money away in my opinion.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
eddievanbitz does trackers similar to this. well worth it but check with your insurance company first as not all trackers give you a reduction on your insurance

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have one in my van. It is in storage 15miles from home so its handy to check its still there.

When I spoke to my insurers they said they didn't give a discount for any tracker, so the cheap ones just as good for that purpose.

Fitting is quite easy, though I obviously won't say where mine is:Smile:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Hi, thanks for the information, how difficult was it to fit, did you have to consider where to hide it and did you tell your insurance company or do they just want the expensive trackers?

Ginny

Hi Ginny,

It was very simple to fit, you just need a positive and negative feed. Took mine from the leisure batteries, the drain is very small but I feel it better not to have anything draining from the starter battery.

I was able to hide it quite well in my Hymer, can't tell yiu where or I would have to shoot you!:ROFLMAO:

Didn't bother to advise insurers as they are only interested in the expensive ones.

Mike

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
evidently they do work to within a few 10's of mtrs.

now the bit that makes them pretty worthless.....

your insurers aint interested...its not a recognised device.

the police aint interested..... if it cant be tracked via GPS in realtime they cant track it using their OFFICIAL in car tracking system....sim card is not GPS.

you track it yourself via web based maps but when you find it and a bunch of no-necked, cauliflower eared thugs (or worse still...Itinerant's) are joyriding in, or dismantling, it what you going to do...ask nicely for it back ?

there are better ways to throw money away in my opinion.

Aah but you are overlooking the fact that it can be programmed so that the vehicle is disabled via a text message from you if it is stolen. You need someone who knows what they are doing to set this up as it is illegal to do it whilst the vehicle is running on the road. It works by disabling the vehicle after it has been switched off, and then prevents it from restarting next time they turn the ignition key. Eddie at Vanbitz is the man to sort this one for you.

Mike

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
eddievanbitz does trackers similar to this. well worth it but check with your insurance company first as not all trackers give you a reduction on your insurance

sorry Gail, but Eddies website shows just one tracking device, which is for boats, and the price is £440 inc 1 years subscription.

the simcard trackers are around £40 and arent monitored by a dedicated tracking centre.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
When we bought our last MH it came with one of these fitted and when I read about it I thought it sounded great, then someone on here gave me a link to Ebay for a wee gadget that plugs in to your lighter socket and blocks the signal. These where about a fiver sorry I can't find the link but after reading about it in more detail I came to the conclusion they where useless as a security device. Although I like the idea of putting one in my daughters car when she starts to drive next year.
I'm sure if you hide an old phone in your car and wire the charger in it will do roughly the same.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
All you need to block it is something like this

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Most insurers don't offer discounts for tracker (or if they do they are more expensive in the first place).. My van has a cat 1 alarm /immobiliser with anti tow etc.. I still hid a £40 Chinese made tracker in it.. Its fed from the leisure batteries and allows me to check it'slocation by text or online.. I can ring fence it and get a message if it moves and also it keeps a nice history of movements that you can view online. For my geeky side it's great and I'm pretty confident if it was to be stolen I could locate it successfully. The police would be interested if I told them where it was as they regularly get such calls from numerous tracker companies and haulage firms who run their own systems.
For such a small outlay you can't go wrong..

Our you can pay hundreds for a blended solution with Gps gsm and rf.. Which I used to have on a BMW.. Great stuff.. But not transferable and no insurance discount.
Key security is the issue here. Most modern vehicles require keys to be stolen.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I have one in my van. It is in storage 15miles from home so its handy to check its still there.

When I spoke to my insurers they said they didn't give a discount for any tracker, so the cheap ones just as good for that purpose.

Fitting is quite easy, though I obviously won't say where mine is:Smile:

We all know (including mr low life ) it is inside the vehicle

So not that hard to find

There are only a small number of places where they can be fitted

Buy the stickers. Put them in the window. As its the deterrent that stops Mr Low life scum bag

So even cheaper

Simples ::bigsmile:

I was at a show and one seller had a bent hollow aluminium tube to fit on to plastic window catches on Euro caravans motorhomes

Looked crap. Had no security at all and where selling for stupid £s for a pack of 2

They only keep out the descent people. Villains just smash the window

Fool and his money are easily parted. Springs to mind

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Absolutely agree with the above.

I have ordered stickers for my car too (ebay), which doesn't have a tracker so any tealeaf won't be able to find it :roflmto:

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
I bought TK103 with a remote, put a microwave sensor behind drivers seat covers hole van

Link Removed

Link Removed

I put a Tesco PAG sim away I went:thumb:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Hi we are considering buying one of those little Gps tracker devises which reports back to your phone. We don't want an expensive one with a yearly subscription.

Has anyone fitted one of these and does it work??

Ginny

see also this thread

Broken Link Removed

I have an ebay one but also a cat 1 alarm. If you have a recent van The crims getting hold of your keys is the weakest point in your security. which is why my keys to my vehicles are never ever hidden in the house but elsewhere:thumb: the most likelihood of a modern MH theft is contents of the vehicle not the vehicle itself.

the main issue with my ebay tracker is it needed to be somewhere the metal roof was not covering it which was tricky to set up.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My alarm allows you to set a PIN which you have to put in before the engine will start, even if you have a key. I haven't used this feature yet but sounds useful.
I don't know what happens if you stall for example, I will have to experiment.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back