Does anyone actually use cruise control? (1 Viewer)

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
I wouldn't have a MH or car these days without one. The slightest touch of the clutch (and it is a slight touch, not enough to do anything other than disconnect the cruise) or brakes in my Fiat ducato disconnects it so in traffic, touch the clutch, no brake lights to confuse following vehicles, and re engage when new speed is reached after normal engine braking. Very relaxing, no aching right foot on long trips. Brilliant. Try one, you won't go back.

Mines all controlled by buttons on the steering wheel. If I want to disengage it I press a button

Nel

Free Member
Sep 24, 2014
Peebles
Funster No
MH
auto-cruise alto
Exp
off and on since 2005
I cant make up m mind. Try it to keep within speed limits them I need to pass someone. Bit of a faff

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Having just bought our MoHo it was the first extra on the list along with reversing cameras, Dave Newall fitted ours and it's brilliant.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I cant make up m mind. Try it to keep within speed limits them I need to pass someone. Bit of a faff
No need to disengage in this scenario, depress accelerator whilst passing. Release accelerator when finished and the vehicle will coast back down to preset speed.

Ian37

Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
london
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I use it in the car and my motorbike . Don't have it in the camper :(,

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Would use on the MH if I had it as it is a pain in the right ankle to try and keep a constant speed when going down to Spain:(. Use it in the car most of the time especially on motorways.

Nov 25, 2014
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic I51
Exp
Since 2015.
I use it when ever possible in the car, it saves money and keeps me within the law. My setup will either maintain a given speed or stop me from exceeding a given speed. I know it is fitted to our new MH and I would expect to use it all the time. Strangely, my wife never thinks to use it, she would "rather be in control"!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Got used to cruise control when I was driving coaches - but then you "cruised" as fast as the governor would let you. We always felt, however, that if we tried, we could get better fuel consumption without it.
In the car I've got both CC and speed limiter and use them much of the time when conditions permit, although often I'm dropping in and out 'cos of other traffic.
In the M/H I only tend to use it on fairly level fast roads, motorways etc. as although the engine will quite willingly struggle it up hills, it then "holds back" going down them and consequently the fuel consumption suffers - I can do much better myself.
Wouldn't be without it however.

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
I have it on my car and now use it as often as I can, particularly to keep to speed limits as I have no wish to purchase another speed awareness course! Would probably use it on the motorhome if Ron would ever let me drive it!

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Always use it in the MoHo when I can but the only thing that bugs me about the Fiat system is you get no indication if it's engaged or not; you only get the green speedo icon to tell you it's on. In the car I get "cruise" when switched on, then "On" when selected. If there is no "On" then it's Off :confused::confused::confused:
I know what I mean anyway ;)

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Love it and providing you get used to looking well ahead and keeping a good distance from vehicles you have no intention of overtaking it is a real asset. The Renault Master also has a speed limiter that you can set in the same way as the Cruise. It means you can drop under the speed you set but unless you kick down it will keep you at whatever speed you set it to. Just what you want in Speed limit areas.

OP
OP
BobtheBass
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I must say that I have been surprised by the overwhelming support for cruising! When I get the new m/h in January I will have to master the thing no matter how long it takes.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
There is an oddity on the 2.3 litre Fiat set up.. I was talking to a chap on a site in Prague during the summer and he mentioned it.. I thought it was just me but nope..

The CC is ( obviously :) ) linked to the ECU
Somehow ( even though there is absolutely no mention of it that I can find anywhere ) when you have the CC on the torque available goes up considerably.
On looooongggggg steep inclines we found the van struggled sometimes.. On occasion dropping down as low as third ( 6 speed box )
I tried dropping it down just one gear, and pressing resume.
Every time the van went straight back up to cruise speed .. Try to do it without using the CC and it would struggle like buggery !

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Mentioned on here before, but probably worth repeating.

The operation of the current Fiat cruise control is not as set out in the manual. I don't have the manual to hand, so can't remember exactly what it says, but what works is this:

Switch on cruise control using the On/Off ring on the stalk.
Get up to your chosen cruising speed. Activate cruise control at that speed by flicking the stalk upwards. (That's the bit that differs from the manual)
Sit back & relax.

Cruise control can now be deactivated/reactivated by a press of the button on the end of the stalk. Speed can be increased or decreased in small increments by flicking the stalk up or down. Holding the stalk up or down will result in a gradual increase or decrease in the set speed.

It took me a while to work out why I was having such difficulty getting the cruise control to engage. I think the manual tells you to use the button to engage rather than flicking the stalk upwards.

As always, a touch on the brake (& the clutch if you have a manual) deactivates in the same way as the button on the end of the stalk.

Pudsey Bear

Free Member
Jun 28, 2008
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
We had one in the Laika, and I bought one for the self build, but I sold it as the pedal is in a nice place to run consistently at almost any speed, very useful when going through spec cameras in the car, I'm amazed at how many vehicles come flying up to the cameras, slow right down then off again til the next one, do they have no sense at all.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Would not be without, just got to plan ahead on long hill climbs, as if you let the CC try and get you up it just cuts out and if its the first time you experience this you think you have blown up the engine

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
yes use it all the time.it enables you to get the best out of the fuel (mpg) and its relaxing when you are driving.had it on the RV,got it on my F150 pick up and its going to be on the NB that we have coming in March.wouldnt be without it.
Brian & Jo

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I have tried many times to use the cruise control on our cars and motorhome, yet cant get the feeling that the vehicle is slightly out of control from my mind. I know I have friends who use it all the time and wouldn't be without, but I never feel happy when its on. It just makes me nervous. How does everyone else feel? Is it me? Am I being paranoid?
Every European trip...dead easy to use:)(y)(y)(y)(y)

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Great on flatish motorways. Found I could manage better MPG figures without it either going up or down inclines. On a long journey however CC provides for a relaxing drive which gives the arthritis a rest in the right ankle. CC not much use on a busy motorway as you are constantly having to adjust your speed to overtake or brake to let ejits back into a lane when they decide to start pulling in before they have actually passed you. Great on the less busy roads in France/Germany. Overall, useful to have, IMO.

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Mud Island, nr Mudchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
long (with Brian) short (alone) medium (with Andy)
All the time in the car it is an automatic with cruise control so makes driving comfy. And about 60% of the time in CB l used it loads more but now trying to do more going up hills to save fuel.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
In our Renault MH the CC set speed is shown in the display so if you brake or excelerate then press resume you know the speed it will return to

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
Love cruise control saves fuel, the wife is heavy footed she's anti cruise control

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997

I was told by a police traffic officer friend of mine that it is not safe to use on wet roads due to possibility of loss of control before you could react and deactivate the CC, he said that he went to a bad accident on the A47 which was a result of using CC in the wet, took some time to figure out what happened, not a M/H by the way. That's what I was advised.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Always the odd one out...... I don't use CC.....can't be bothered.... and I find not slowing on bends that I feel a bit out of control...............

:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back