Does anybody know what this switch is

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by bubble, Mar 16, 2010.

1. bubble

bubble Read Only Funster

Hi we have a 1993 Hymer camp 55, whilst cleaning it today we have found a 12 volt type switch just inside the step. If you close the step which is a manual type, the step in the closed position would switch off the switch but whilst the step is out the button is released turning something on, but what, thats what we would like to know. We have looked in the manual but cant find anything, it looks factory fitted and goes up into the floor so we cant follow the wires, we are new to this and still very green so any ideas would be grate.:BigGrin:

2. tick59

tick59 Funster

I think this is a switch to put your 12v on the leisure battery:Smile::Smile:

3. trevosky

trevosky Read Only Funster

Hi ya i beleive ive got the same on my camp 52 and i think you will find that its meant to be a warning light on the dash to remind you the step is out before you pull away, however mine dosnt work and ive never found the light on the dash so hope this helps
    all the best Trev :Smile:

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

It's either an interlock on the ignition circuit to prevent starting with step out .. or a switch for a step light

5. bubble

bubble Read Only Funster

Hi thanks too you all, going out to look for a light on the dash board, we did not want to just leave it in case it was something draining the battery. We keep the van at home and leave the step out all the time as we quite often just pop in there for a cup of tea and a chat, as you do when your really wanting to be out in it but you have other things that you should really be doing. Anyway otherhalf just came back and said no light on the dash so maybe its something else. Any other ideas please.:BigGrin:

6. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Hi Bubble

We have a switch on our step which activates a beeper if the ignition is switched on with the step out.

7. VMax666

VMax666 Read Only Funster

If it is the same as my Hymer, it is linked to the hand brake light on the dash. Leave the step out, take the handbrake off and the hand brake light will stay lit on the dash. VMax

8. Hycon

Hycon Read Only Funster

hi
    I have an Hymer and the switch on mine puts on the brake warning light if the step is in the down position .My switch was sticking and the brake warning light was on all the time even if the step was up .It took a bit of finding ,as I thought I had a problem with my brakes.
    Sid

9. trevosky

trevosky Read Only Funster

must go round to van and try that :thumb:

10. Cavs

Cavs Funster

We had an Autocruise with a similar switch on the step itself. It tripped an automatic relay when the engine was started that retracted the step. We discovered it only when it got stuck through road dirt - the switch thought the step was in, so we drove away with it out! (Cue frantic waving from others on site - thankfully.)

You could test it by putting the step out, holding the switch in and starting the engine. If the step stays out, release the switch and it might go in.

Hope this helps,
    Stephen

11. bubble

bubble Read Only Funster

Hi thanks for that the switch does work fine we just didn't know what the light meant but it does tell you if you leave the step out, we are now selling the hymer for a newer version so we will pass on the info to the new owner. Thanks again to everybody who as always answers our question to most strange questions. As a newbie your info is a great help.:BigGrin: