Does any funster travel whilst having chemotherapy (1 Viewer)

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Well a it says in the title really, really concerns me about having to give up the MH.
Even a 20 mile drive for a few days away does me at the mo, just a get away from home is like a breath of fresh air.
EU travel probably a no go so no Bruges this Xmas, first for years.

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
No reason not to if you feel up to it

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'd ask your doc and be guided by them
I'm guessing there are likely to be good days and bad days. Though this doesn't necessarily mean you should get give up the MH as the treatment is short term
Best of luck with the treatment

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Autobars.
This is just a phase in your life which will be worth it when its done ! ! !
Jenny had a double mastectomy and chemo AND went to work at the time
If travel lifts your spirits, then DO it ! ! !
Sitting around wishing you HAD gone will do you head no good at all...
We wish you all the luck in the world.
Mitch and Jenny.
x x x x

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Depends on the type of chemo. Plan so that you can relax and not get stressed whilst away .. and if you feel poorly then come home ... it isn't a failure. Once the chemo and rads are completed you can look forward longer periods away. Good luck.

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Spot on Joy. My wife was "in bits" whilst receiving Chemo,so many different types. We decided to have a few days away just after her last
session and it worked wonders,I waited on her hand and foot and if she didn't want to get out of bed she didn't.

We didn't go far just in case. So my advice for what its worth is give it a try but not too far.

Hope all works out.

John P(y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As Joy says Chemo is different for everybody both in the type,dose, and schedule but also the affect that it has on each individual.

While my wife was undergoing treatment we were away in the caravan and on the Tandem as much as possible including a trip to France.

All I can suggest is if you want to do something just get on with it as you will feel much better when you take charge and control your own life rather than being dictated to by this temporary blip.

All the best.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
And it was only when Mrs Funflair was on Chemo and Steroids that I realised why some athletes are tempted to take them, the steroids that is, the tandem has never gone as fast before or since and there was certainly nobody could catch us on the hills.

Martin

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
We went away a few times when my lovely missus was undergoing chemotherapy.we managed to go on the funster balloon fest at Bristol .We had a great time even though we could not mix.Don't forget your immunity levels will be nil depending on type of chemo.If you get with someone with a cold it can be really bad.We went to c.club cls just to get away for a change.Go for it if you feel up to it.

OP
OP
Autowbars

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for the replies
I start chemo on Friday, along with radiotherapy to be decided,
to allievate the pain I'm told as it will reduce the tumours if I remember everything that I was told.
At least We can nip off somewhere during the week now
as not working.
Just don't want to give up the MH
Sell it and I will never be able to afford another

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Good luck with all your treatment and I do hope you can get away ! Even planning can be therapeutic for future trips when you feel well enough. Don't sell the van.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
No chance that my wife could travel whilst being treated. Totally destroyed between sessions. After her last one we went to Paris for our 25th wedding anniversary (booked prior to being diagnosed) but she was still knackered and that was 6 weeks after the last dose. However, not everyone is the same and we took guidance from the oncologist. Good luck (y)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
this thread is already full of amazing people, Im sure even more amaxing people will be along soon, but to the OP.... anything you do will be dictated on how your wife feels, good luck whatever you decide xx

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
My daughter in law is an oncology nurse who works for a private firm providing chemotherapy "at home" to patients in the South West of England so I assume such services are available nationwide. I can't see why such services cannot be provided anywhere in the country to those having private treatment or are insured for private medical treatment. She collects the medication from her local NHS trust hospital for each individual patient that she has to deal with each day and then travels around giving the chemo. Each type is different and takes a different amount of time to administer. Some can take all day through a drip. If you choose to spend your hard earned to insure or pay for private treatment then there should be no reason why you cannot have chemo administered while you are on holiday in the UK. After all its all about private enterprise and the concept of service.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
How would you rate Torbay Hospital based on your experience?

Based on my own family's experiences I would prefer Exeter Royal Devon & Exeter which seems to be able to attract better consultants.

Mind you if comes to an emergency ambulance you don't get any choice in the matter!

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
How would you rate Torbay Hospital based on your experience?

The treatment I received was textbook perfect! I was whisked into isolation within A&E immediately on arrival and then given my own ensuite room on the cancer ward. Hourly obs picked up the fact that my BP had crashed in the night and I lived to tell the tale. Good enough for me (y)

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
Depends what chemotherapy you have and what you do when away though.

I'm pretty broken and tbh a trip to the cliffs up the road is as good as a break to the Rockies and not likely to see a soul whilst there.

Just a matter of staying within your comfort zone of risk vs benefit - the psychological benefit of doing stuff can't be over estimated.

OP
OP
Autowbars

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Well a busy day, docs to change my morphine dose, then a call from BRI, chemo now starts next Weds, surprisingly had a call from St James in Leeds this eve and to go 8.40 in morn to have a check up and measured up for a MASK!!!!
Don't like the sound of that!!!!!!
So radiotherapy must also been starting soon me thinks.
Going to sneak two nights near Knaresborough fri, sat.
Great to read other people's experiences, was thinking on my own,VERY selfish of me I know.

Can you choose your style?:)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Well a busy day, docs to change my morphine dose, then a call from BRI, chemo now starts next Weds, surprisingly had a call from St James in Leeds this eve and to go 8.40 in morn to have a check up and measured up for a MASK!!!!
Don't like the sound of that!!!!!!
So radiotherapy must also been starting soon me thinks.
Going to sneak two nights near Knaresborough fri, sat.
Great to read other people's experiences, was thinking on my own,VERY selfish of me I know.

Can you choose your style?:)
Good luck with your treatment now it's all starting.
All the best to you and your wife and Tom .

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Having been through it and come out the other side successfully these are my thoughts I was on a 3 week cycle - the first week you slowly go down sleeping a lot - second week you are at serious risk of infection and should avoid unnecessary contact - after that the 3 week you feel good and then the process starts again. why not arrange to go away every 3rd week for the week. I did some times or took the opportunity to play with my land rovers. Do not sell up the future is bright and normality is essential.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I was just about to say the same as Landy Lover - it's a bit of a rollercoaster.

There may be times when you won't feel well enough to travel so treasure the good days :)

OP
OP
Autowbars

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Anthea, thanks for your posting, we might even make it to the 3fellas for a couple o nights.
Tom is doing fine, gets upset now and then.

Landylover, I have a couple o three of them too
110pu, safari comp from the old days, and a P38
P38 bit worse for wear, and at 12/15 mpg does not get used much
Probably about 8 months at mo.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Anthea, thanks for your posting, we might even make it to the 3fellas for a couple o nights.
Tom is doing fine, gets upset now and then.

Landylover, I have a couple o three of them too
110pu, safari comp from the old days, and a P38
P38 bit worse for wear, and at 12/15 mpg does not get used much
Probably about 8 months at mo.
PM us if you do get to the 3MLs would love to meet up again .
Take care Rob sends his regards too.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hope your week of hospital appointments have gone as expected and take care of yourself. Good luck next week with your treatment.
Thoughts are with you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back