Does A Hab Check Have To Be Done By The Supplying Dealer To Maintain The Warranty?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by BobtheBass, May 19, 2015.

1. BobtheBass

BobtheBass Funster

On a new van, when it's time for the first habitation check does this have to be done by the supplying dealer to maintain the warranty (as they have suggested) , or can you take it elsewhere? The dealer I bought the van from is some distance away, and seems to charge a lot more than my local dealers for the same thing.

2. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I think you'll find it has to be a done by an authorised agent of the converter, but not necessarily the supplying dealer. It can't just be any old motorhome dealer. For example if you have a Rapido it can be Wokingham, Highbridge or Brownhills but not anyone else. I guess for you an email to Chausson asking for a list of their authorised dealers would be the way forward.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We used to have a Chausson and it has to be done by an authorised Chausson workshop, not necessarily a dealer though. Unfortunately the NCC workshop scheme isn't accepted.

The reason is that whoever does it has to be able to access the Chausson service 'database' to input the habitation service information once it's been carried out and therefore must be registered with Chausson (and pay a fee), we used to use an independent chap who had kept his Chausson registration when he left a dealership that closed.

4. robnchris

robnchris Funster

Also make certain you empty all the cupboards and lockers as they won`t move things to use the damp meter.

5. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

As above depends on the manufacturer.
    Mine is Autotrail and has to be done by NCC approved, so that gives me lots of choice.
    Used a mobile engineer on first hab check, he found some problems and AT accepted the report with no issues.

6. ABZSteve

ABZSteve Funster

I also have an Autotrail and Dealer/Autotrail advised me directly prior to purchase that as long as I use a NCC approved workshop I can get the habitation inspection done locally (not DC in Aberdeen:p). Further, with approval warranty work can be done locally or by mobile engineer. I purchased 450 miles from home because I didn't like local dealers.

7. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

The NCC is a UK organisation and I guess funded, at least in part, by the UK converters so perhaps it makes sense that those companies accept their workshops whilst the European converters don't.

8. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Depends on manufacturer, Hymer's & Carthago's don't require a habitation check to keep the warranty only the annual damp check which can be done by any of their Dealers.

9. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

Autocruise just require a Swift franchise dealer to undertake. The details are all logged in to the Swift database once the hab service is completed.

10. Wobby

Wobby Read Only Funster

That interesting to know, as the habitation check is way overrated. I'm just going to have the damp check done to maintain the water ingress warranty. All the equipment is covered under the individual manufactures warranty, whats more in the UK we have the sale of goods act which is much more inforceable that people realise. I know as I've had to hold a dealer to book when the manufactuer didn't want to know, and won.

Wobby

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  11. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Had the last Hymer nearly six years never had a habitation check, never had any problems with warranty items.

• Like Like x 1
  12. arao99

arao99 Funster

Hi ,
    Lennyhb how much do Hymer dealers charge for just the damp ckeck?

13. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Premier £84, Campirama (Belgium) €60.

14. arao99

arao99 Funster

Thanks Lenny ,(y) sounds like a plan next year for my first check :)

15. GEOMAR

GEOMAR Funster

Hi Steve
    Perthshire caravans are autotrail agents at Errol on main road between Dundee and Perth
    GEOMAR

• Like Like x 1
  16. ABZSteve

ABZSteve Funster

Yip GEOMAR, but I wont be going there either unless I really have to. Prior to purchasing the new MoHo I contacted a couple of other dealers who have agreed to do work for me if they can. DC wont touch mine anyway because I didn't buy from them and PC were not very polite when I enquired about buying a new van back in August 2014. So, I will give my business to those who are interested regardless if I purchased from them or not. Cheers, Steve

17. GEOMAR

GEOMAR Funster

Quite right Steve
    GEOMAR

18. Wobby

Wobby Read Only Funster

That where I'm heading for next week, on my way to Germany.

Wobby

19. MichaelT

MichaelT Funster

Surely the habitation check is also for safety with gas, water and electric making sure all is safe in my mind is essential though must admit costly.

• Like Like x 2
  20. maison

maison Funster

£84 for a damp check seems expensive.

I have just had habitation check + damp check carried out by Authorised Agent for £120 + VAT - 20% discount for regular custom.