Dodgy Gaslow Filler Hose

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Craig Rogers, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers Read Only Funster

Bugger!

Just come back from filling the Gaslow up for the first time today.

All ok, checked the pigtail connections all fine. Checked the filler connection into the bottle fine.

Then got underneath and spray some leak detector on the back of the filler. Bubble city! :Angry:

On closer inspection, the weld/solder on the metal sleeve has a tiny pin hole.

As the cylinder has non-return valve, I'm assuming this is just pressure from the fill that is leaking and not from the tank itself (unless the non-return is buggered too!).

So no big problem, but a pain as I'll have to remove the cylinder to be able to refit a new filler pipe. :Doh:

It's a right pain as we're going away on Friday for a long weekend, so somehow need to swap it out.

2. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Take it back to who fitted it-when my fixed tank was fitted it was on pressure test for 4 hrs before putting any gas in it.

Mike.

3. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

that is not good news

That is not good news.. hope you get it sorted out ok. Not what you need is it.

Bob

4. Craig Rogers

It's already back where it got fitted. :BigGrin:

I fitted it, so I'll have to get a new pipe from where I got the system from.

Hopefully, I can sweet talk them in to sending me a replacement and I'll send the dodgy one back.

Although it has a non-return, I don't fancy leaving it disconnected for any long length of time.

5. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

I suspect the gaslow hoses I have also have leaks, at least my RiGid sniffers says they do. Will be testing with leak spray when I get time off work.
    Not really good enough that they come out of production with faults :Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Craig Rogers

Luckily, the Pigtail looks ok, although I did see some bubbles around a small rivet on the bottle tap so I'll keep an eye on that too.

7. Craig Rogers

Although directly related to the "Dark Side". I can't say how happy I am with the service from Outdoor Bits. I only purchased the Gaslow system from there as their "Ultimate" kit was quite a bit cheaper than anyone else.

I phoned them up and explained and they've spoken to Gaslow who have agreed to send a replacement filler pipe next day without me sending the old one back first. :thumb: Basically, Outdoor Bits will pay for the replacement on my behalf and then Gaslow will credit them back once I sent the dodgy one back.

All this was sorted within 10 minutes of phoning them. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Refreshing to hear of such good service :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  9. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I had really good service dealing directly with Gaslow. We had a system fitted by the dealer from whom we bought the motorhome in 2007 (an authorised Gaslow dealer). A couple of years ago I noticed there was a slight leak from the out-feed union of one of the bottles. I guess the sealant had come adrift. A phone call to Gaslow resulted in a new (well reconditioned I guess) cylinder being delivered to Dave Newell FOC, who fitted it for me. No questions from Gaslow, or requests for proof of purchase - I simply told them when it was fitted originally and by whom.

10. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

Refreshing prompt service certainly, but how did the bloody thing get through any QA checks/tests in the first place :Angry:

More to the point who would have been liable if the whole system had gone kaboom, God forbid :Angry:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Craig Rogers

It's ok, it won't go bang as I checked for any leaks with a match.... :Rofl1:

Unfortunatly, these things can happen and things do get through. I assume it was pressure tested as part of QA. As it's a tiny pinhole, it might of actually been ok until now.

I know what you are saying, it shouldn't get get through QA, but occasionally these things happen. This is why it's critical to do leak checks after install. Without some leak detector (of soapy water) it's invisible as it's so tiny.

12. Craig Rogers

Sort of off topic, but a little on topic (didn't want to start a new thread).

How does the newer bottle mounted Gaslow gauge work?

I know the bottle has a float, but the gauge just clips onto the tap. Is it a magnet?

I've also read (and it's what's happened with ours) that when you fill up, the gauge doesn't register straight away. After it's first fillup it's still showing empty. I've opened the tap and lit the hob just to test the gas flow is all ok. I know it doesn't start working until half empty, but it should still show full as it fills up? Why doesn't it?

13. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Yes a magnet and yes mine stuck in the empty position too and freed itself on the first journey after filling

14. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Gaslow Guage

Ours took a bit of a drive to kick it into life too!:BigGrin: