Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Do you use your toilet?
A friend of ours refused to use their toilet, it was new.... Came the day they did and found it ok, at least for No1's. They established their use of it although were not sure what the light was for near the toilet. They did find out...!
They had thought the wee went into a big tank somewhere.... all part of the learning process.

Alan

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Can i ask a delicate question. Does all the no 2's dissolve? We have had a caravan for 4 years and we only used the loo for wees, but we are now switching to a Motorhome. So would like to use Cls, aires etc but neither of us want this unpleasant job ! How bad is it to empty?

Sometimes you need to stick a finger in and work it all loose :Sad:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Major Tip

Always tell the wife when you have taken the cassette out..... ALWAYS!

Alan:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
It was the constant fear of queuing for a toilet when tenting that was a primary deciding factor to buy a motorhome.

Having a black tank is certainly better than the cassette, in my experience.

I'm still in two minds. The black tank is so much bigger that it is very convenient. Certainly 4 day long weekends don't require any emptying even with several children and no other facilities.

However, emptying it is probably less pleasant and much more of a palaver, involving two people, 25m of flat hose and a macerator. Very few campsites are set up for a simple gravity dump through stinky slinky. I don't know why we even still carry the thing.

Upvote 0

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
Is this a follow on from the thread that's been on MHF for days ?

We use the Thetford for what it is designed for no problems encountered over the last 12 years.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Can i ask a delicate question. Does all the no 2's dissolve? We have had a caravan for 4 years and we only used the loo for wees, but we are now switching to a Motorhome. So would like to use Cls, aires etc but neither of us want this unpleasant job ! How bad is it to empty?

The cassette is a storage device. Paper will tend to loosen and break down into fibres. The cassette is not a sewage treatment works so poop will start to break down because it is absorbing water (with added chemicals) but it's not going to charge much in its, err, structure?

How bad? You'll have done worse things in your life. It's always easier to empty regularly but this will mean you use more chemicals.

Upvote 0

pegleg

Free Member
Aug 31, 2013
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
12 years
Toilet use

We use ours ,but who has to empty the loo :ROFLMAO: me ,other wise the light will come on :cry:.Ask way, answer didn't now what the light meant she says every time lol
:thumb:

Upvote 0

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Always used the onboard facilities. We paid for them so why not. Emptying is not a particularly pleasant activity, but so what. Empty every three days for two people so the cassette doesn't get too full, allow 12 hours after last solids to allow them to break down and carry a spare cassette to ease the pressure when wild camping.

Upvote 0
Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
Do you use your toilet

The only ones that don't use their toilets are Politicians, because they're full of crap

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
when on holiday over Easter I went to dump the caset when I got back someone had dumped in the loo watt grated me when I got back and the words you did not tell me granddad :Eeek:

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001

Wow, too much thinking........start with an empty cassette, throw in two Bio washing tabs, use it as you would at home,[1&2] use cheap paper.

Empty it at 3/4 full, as seen down the hole. Use water to clean it thro' at the disposal point.

Never had anything stick yet, might need a swish round with water, but thetford have thought it out for you.

repeat process

don't go past 3/4 full, and buy a spare cassette would be my tip

neill

Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Ours isn't allowed to be used.

I have to empty it about once every 2 days though when we're on the road so I can only assume it's the Aire Goblins that manage to fill it full of %&?$ and not any of my 4 children and certainly not my wife:RollEyes:

Upvote 0

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
Do you use your toilet?
A friend of ours refused to use their toilet, it was new.... Came the day they did and found it ok, at least for No1's. They established their use of it although were not sure what the light was for near the toilet. They did find out...!
They had thought the wee went into a big tank somewhere.... all part of the learning process.

Alan

Of course we use ours, isn't that what it's for? :Doh:

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
X2 kids in our MH , so it`s always in use:cry:

Good job it`s the older Large type cassette , I like a daily workout to the local stench pit :cry::whatthe:

Upvote 0

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
X2 kids in our MH , so it`s always in use:cry:

Good job it`s the older Large type cassette , I like a daily workout to the local stench pit :cry::whatthe:

Nothing quite like emptying the honey pot on a warm day........ or even a cold day come to that! :thumb:

Upvote 0

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Be aware that too much enthusiastic swishing around of water when cleaning the cassette may damage the mechanism that connects to the full warning light. That, and the waste tank indicator, are often the first things to stop working.

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Smaller lumps of poo are easier to empty out at the dump point than logs which normally get stuck in the bend:Doh::Blush:

Upvote 0

Millibobs

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
Do you use your toilet?

Alan
Why wouldnt you use your van loo same as at home.
Only use the site loos for a pee !
Like my comfort too much !::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Motorhome Etiquette

:Smile: On the subject of loos (of which there seems to have been a lot of lately) is there motorhome etiquette re using someone else's toilet.
Would you 'go' in a friends van or even ask ?
What do Funsters think :RollEyes:

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
:Smile: On the subject of loos (of which there seems to have been a lot of lately) is there motorhome etiquette re using someone else's toilet.
Would you 'go' in a friends van or even ask ?
What do Funsters think :RollEyes:

Now you are pushing it!

Proper courtesy suggests that you excuse yourself you to use the site facilities or your own van!

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
just take your own wet wipes:winky:

I wouldn't use wet wipes in a MH loo - they don't break down, they just clog things up - unless, of course, that is your intention???

I absent mindedly threw two down our loo recently any they remained the most solid things in the cassette for several days and required quite a lot of effort to remove :(

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Wet wipes are a disaster. One place I stayed the emptying point was completely clogged with them. I believe that even main drains can be blocked by them. Should be banned.:Angry:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Well I don't know what you wipe with wet ones or why you would want to drop one in your cassette :Eeek: but I wipe my arse with loo paper and drop that in loo/cassette::bigsmile: and my hands on wet ones and drop them in the bin :thumb:
terry
it must be a mood thing I am in this morning ::bigsmile::winky:

Upvote 0

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
We do use ours but never used to lock the outer door of the cassette compartment until we had a nasty incident of some short sighted fuel thief trying to siphon our diesel......................

Tinca

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
We do use ours but never used to lock the outer door of the cassette compartment until we had a nasty incident of some short sighted fuel thief trying to siphon our diesel......................

Tinca
Are you sure he wasn't after the cassette-they have been stolen?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back