Do you use contactless payment cards ? (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
I don't recall being informed that I had to actually 'activate' the contactless facility, the only condition was that it had to first be used in an ATM if I subsequently wanted to ... as I've never tried it myself for a contactless payment whether it works or not I don't know, but hubby has certainly used his card to pay via contactless and I don't think HE had to activate it specifically (ie just the ATM use first).

I use ATMs with a debit card that says its contactless
But a few shops have asked if I want contactless activated

Still don't trust them only ever use one credit card on line
Don't know the pin for it so I can't use it anywhere else

And one credit card for the shops
And a debit for food shopping

Thing is they all have contactless sign on them
No chance of me using the facility though

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Anyone tried nuking the card in a microwave for a couple of seconds? I may try it with my old card when I get a replacement on hand. That way I can take the old one out and try to use it.
Another point here is that the card and readers use a handshake authentication which is only valid once. That way a copied code at a point of sale is no use.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It all started to go downhill when they stopped you having to have a man walk in front of the car with a flag.

I have wondered, reading this thread, how much of this is just resistance to change or anything new.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Anyone tried nuking the card in a microwave for a couple of seconds? I may try it with my old card when I get a replacement on hand. That way I can take the old one out and try to use it.

I suspect you will kill the chip which is needed when you put the card into a reader and enter the pin.

The contactless cards have a loop aerial built into them, if you knew where it was it would be possible to drill a very small hole and cut it.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Ah. So this is where the story originates, a bloke on Facebook who among other things claims he can use the NFC of his mobile phone to read contactless cards through their wallet. Impossible.

(Telegraph technology section today).........

"A Facebook post has gone viral, after a man, Paul Jarvis, saw a thief scamming people out of their money in a tech-savvy manner.

He was putting through payments of less than £30 in a wireless card reader and touching it on wallets of unsuspecting people.

Mr. Jarvis took a picture and posted it on Facebook, writing: "So this guy was spotted wandering round with a Point of Sale (POS) device. All he has to do is key in a price less than £30 and then touch the device on the pocket that contains your wallet.

"Ching! You've just been charged automatically on your touch pay enabled credit/debit card.... We just tried this in my local pub with their POS device and it worked...

"(I've actually shown people this using the NFC function on my mobile to read their card data through their wallet to freak them out but this is the first time I've seen someone doing it for real). Time to invest in a screened wallet I guess..."

And it's true - some card readers can scan through wallets."

Contactless cards are now wildly popular, and used in one in seven sales.

I think Mr Jatvis either made up the whole thing with a posed picture or he saw someone trying out an idea perhaps.

The whole article in the Telegraph is worth reading.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
"Ching! You've just been charged automatically on your touch pay enabled credit/debit card.... We just tried this in my local pub with their POS device and it worked...

I'm sure it does work.

What the chav on the bus hasn't done however is go through all the hoops you have to jump through to get the machine up and running to take payments. He may have obtained or pinched a second hand machine but it wouldn't do anything - you don't just tell it where to send the money.

If the guy is running a business where he has a machine legitimately he must be beyond stupid because the transactions will obviously be traced straight to him.

Without going into huge detail you can't link one of these machine directly to a normal bank account. It just isn't possible. You have to use a payment processor (SagePay etc) who process the payment taken on the machine and will credit the amount to the second stage of the process, your Merchant Account. From their the payment is credited to your actual bank account. It is a royal pain in the arse and quite expensive to get this lot up and running so the idea of random fools getting them and touching people up with them on the bus really is silly.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
]

Cash can be counterfeit (y)

Don't know if anyone should risk trusting cash :whistle:
I remember asking my bro-in-law , who runs a business that has huge amounts of cash dealings, whether he had a problem with forged notes & what he did.
" Yes we do & now I do the only thing you can do, pass them on to someone else".:D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
]

I remember asking my bro-in-law , who runs a business that has huge amounts of cash dealings, whether he had a problem with forged notes & what he did.
" Yes we do & now I do the only thing you can do, pass them on to someone else".:D
Money laundering ... not a bank robber is he????? :LOL:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Used mine last night to pay for a meal, 2 carveries and a bottle of house white £21, contactless payment just makes life a little easier.

Ian

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Usually just put my wallet with all my cards in it on the bus pass reader but today it refused and I needed to fish it out and put it on the reader. Driver said it is the new cards in your wallet they confuse the reader it is happening a lot.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Usually just put my wallet with all my cards in it on the bus pass reader but today it refused and I needed to fish it out and put it on the reader. Driver said it is the new cards in your wallet they confuse the reader it is happening a lot.
Not a bad thing then Keith. ;)
Mind you, it'll be a long time before I can test whether a bus pass is affected by other cards in the same wallet. :LOL:

Cheers for now,

Jock. :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It'll be a long time before we see it here I'd have thought as it only seems like yesterday that we got' chip & pin':D
Amazing also , how many places still insist on photo identification with the card .

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

How can a person honestly expect the thing to work by asking it to select the correct electronic card out of a choice of perhaps several and through the the fabric of a wallet. Of course the reader is confused, why wouldn't it be.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back