Do you use contactless payment cards ? (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Again Graham I don't dispute the theory but there is no evidence whatsoever of anyone actually doing it.
There aren't all that many reports, in general, of card fraud but we all know it goes on :)

Google RFID tracking in retail and you'll find stories going back a dozen years of companies actually doing it :)

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
On the positive side I have not been gassed since having my contactless card!

:dance2:

Terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Here is what a DATA Scanner looks like So you can avoid him

Maxi-Bust-Data.jpg

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There aren't all that many reports, in general, of card fraud but we all know it goes on :)

Google RFID tracking in retail and you'll find stories going back a dozen years of companies actually doing it :)[/QU

We all "know" a lot of things go on. We "know" that there are devices attached to ATMs and that there are chip and pin machines that harvest card details. There is real documented evidence of these things happening but we're all still happy to use chip and pin and ATMs.

There appears to be no evidence whatsoever for anything actually happening with contactless cards though. Just a theory that it could possibly happen with existing technology. This is the one that's triggered mass paranoia and panic though.

I really don't get that.

The use of RFID for retail tracking isn't relevant to this at all unless you were just pointing out where the technology would come from.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We all "know" a lot of things go on. We "know" that there are devices attached to ATMs and that there are chip and pin machines that harvest card details. There is real documented evidence of these things happening but we're all still happy to use chip and pin and ATMs.

There appears to be no evidence whatsoever for anything actually happening with contactless cards though. Just a theory that it could possibly happen with existing technology. This is the one that's triggered mass paranoia and panic though.

I really don't get that.

The use of RFID for retail tracking isn't relevant to this at all unless you were just pointing out where the technology would come from.
Yes, we all know that there are risks and we tailor our behaviour accordingly. That is why we, having first hand knowledge of RFID technology going back a dozen years, use foil shields (simply the equivalent of checking an ATM slot before use). I didn't think it had triggered mass paranoia and panic though :)

My purpose in mentioning the relatively long history of retail use of RFID is, indeed, to show not only where the technology would come from but where it does come from

This story from the Consumers Association demonstrates not only the weakness of contactless security but also the weakness of card security generally in that they were able to "make purchases without the cardholder’s name or CVV code".

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
So throw away your mobile phone, cut up all your credit cards and most important disconnect your internet.
My steam-driven mobile phone is only switched on when I NEED to call somebody eg car breakdown or to warn my father when we're 15 minutes away from him. I've had the phone about 20 years I think and used about £20 of calls.
I have 2 credit cards: one for t'internet, one for face to face. Neither one is contactless. I only ever used an ATM once, over 30 years ago, before they were called ATM's in the UK - they were just 'cash machines'.
I agree, using t'internet is a bit of a lowering of my defences but I don't use facebook, twitter, instagram, the cloud or similar. My biggest vice is MHF :eek:

Pull up the drawbridge;)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
My steam-driven mobile phone is only switched on when I NEED to call somebody eg car breakdown or to warn my father when we're 15 minutes away from him. I've had the phone about 20 years I think and used about £20 of calls.
I have 2 credit cards: one for t'internet, one for face to face. Neither one is contactless. I only ever used an ATM once, over 30 years ago, before they were called ATM's in the UK - they were just 'cash machines'.
I agree, using t'internet is a bit of a lowering of my defences but I don't use facebook, twitter, instagram, the cloud or similar. My biggest vice is MHF :eek:

Pull up the drawbridge;)
Do they have mobile phones in Cornwall? I thought @rangitira had banned them when he found out some were Orange (like carrots).

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
My steam-driven mobile phone is only switched on when I NEED to call somebody eg car breakdown or to warn my father when we're 15 minutes away from him.
I've got one of those phones too. They are great, and it doesn't keep annoying me...................unlike these fancy smart phones belonging to others. :mad:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have 2 credit cards: one for t'internet, one for face to face.

The point is every purchase "they" know where, when, what etc. You are well tracked.

I am horrified at what pops up over here whether on WiFi or MiFi, adverts are targetting me personally, this is especially true of FUN though I have much tracking turned off on the PC, I get the hits on the tablet that I've not got locked down as well.

I'm not saying you should give up your quest, just that you've no chance any more.

I guess you drive around, they'll tell you exactly where you have been.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A didnae need tae. A simple click on yur wee moose reveal't it a, ken whit a mean hen?

Jock. :)
Aye I ken ye ... I've got a Scottish Uncle who has a very heavy Scottish accent/regional 'spiel' - it took me years to understand him!

P.S.

Funnily enough Mel, I was looking at that very one for Rita. We've both got good taste, eh? :)
... nowt to do with it being the cheapest one then eh???? :D Something us Yorkshire folk have in common with Scots ... being frugal!!! :LOL:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Do they have mobile phones in Cornwall? I thought @rangitira had banned them when he found out some were Orange (like carrots).
Well we have them, but they don't work. Except maybe on some stretches of the 'motorway' (A30).
In our village, to get a signal you have to stand in the middle of the beach or stand on your tiptoes on a table just outside the north-west corner of the Blue Bar (which is also on the beach). But not in the teeth of an Atlantic gale.
33.gif

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Aye I ken ye ... I've got a Scottish Uncle who has a very heavy Scottish accent/regional 'spiel' - it took me years to understand him!

... nowt to do with it being the cheapest one then eh???? :D Something us Yorkshire folk have in common with Scots ... being frugal!!! :LOL:
Ha ha. No, it was the pattern chosen. (y)

BTW Mel, I've never met a tight Scotsman or woman, canny maybe, but never tight.......................however,I've met some right tight Yorkshire folks in my day. :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
The point is every purchase "they" know where, when, what etc. You are well tracked.
I'm not saying you should give up your quest, just that you've no chance any more.
Oh I know, but I have to have a cause, however futile Broken Link Removed

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Some have said that a request for a non contact less card has been refused a time or two.
Anyone ever asked to have that particular feature just switched off??

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Quite apart from the 'potential scanning' threat, I needed a new wallet for my cards anyway and as this is hard backed it means they won't get inadvertently damaged, the fact that it may provide some protection is a bonus.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I have only read the first couple of pages of this thread, so if this has been covered, please forgive me.
As a general rule, I don't carry my wallet around with me anymore, simply because I have an iPhone, and I use ApplePay, when I physically need the cards, I have an RFID blocking wallet, so I reckon I'm pretty safe.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
So Far. The Coop. Santander. HSBC. and TSB. have ALL replaced card(s) which I asked to be changed for ones WITHOUT "contactless" facility. My reasoning is simple. I don't want it, I will not see me using it. And the guy on the other end of the phone at one of the Banks actually said He too would NOT TRUST it!. It`s an unnecessary complication to an already complex financial world. I try to use ATM`s inside banks where possible, otherwise I give the machine a good thump before attempting to use it. Sometimes get me a few strange looks from other punters, I can tell you!! But if bit`s fell off I could walk away!. I did report a TSB machine where a bit of trim fell of once!.

pete

Reactions: GJH
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thanks for that warning. I've just ordered an RFID blocking wallet! I had not realised how vulnerable these cards are.
Same as your passport.

Oh ye of too much faith :) Chip and pin is full of flaws, as the banks and card issuers have known since before implementation, and it's the same with contactless payment.

All they (and big retailers with whom they have made arrangements to bypass security measures) are interested in is making cards easy to use. That way they boost transaction rates and make enough extra money to reimburse customers who spot frauds.
What they don't do, though, is reimburse customers for all the hassle of changing cards and sorting their accounts out. If they were made to bear the costs of that they might start taking security seriously.
Exactly 1 & why is it full of flaws . Oh , yes because it had to have all the info that it was supposed to be protecting put on the magnetic strip because otherwise no yanks would have been able to use a card in The EU as they don't use chip & pin. So, before it was even rolled out it was useless.

I don't for one moment want to start an argument but you really have to take these scare stories with a large pinch of salt.

If you believe this one then what about the chip and pin devices that lift your card details or the devices attached to ATM machines? How about the risk of counterfeit cash or bank databases being so insecure people can access your account details at will?

If we all believed everything we hear then pretty soon we'd be reduced to a barter economy.
Cash is King.(y)

I think this scam has actually worked perfectly.

Who ever it is in China that came up with the silly little wallets and then managed to plant the scare stories convincing you that they are vital to "keep you safe" has managed to relieve you all of your cash quite easily. He hasn't even needed to go to the trouble of following you around with a POS machine to do so. You've all given it to him willingly :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Anyone who has ever had, or knows what's involved in setting up, such a machine would know just how patently absurd that particular story is.
No , I use lead sheet.:)

I don't suggest for a moment your wrong, but I would be very interested to know where you got that from.

The Yanks don't have chip & pin, So to accommodate them the whole chip/pin process was rendered void by having to add all details to the magnetic strip otherwise no American would have been able to use a card in the EU.That is what they should have done to get them using them .
How many years is it since it came in & they still sign .

Can I just point out that aluminium will not prevent them working. It will reduce the range a bit but won't prevent them being read in your wallet?

You need something that can stop a magnetic field dead..
My lead sheet does.:)(y)
And similarly for cloning cards, yes you will be without a card for a few days (which is why you should have a different card to cover for just this sort of event) and when the new card arrives you will have the chore of having to open the envelope and then find a pen which works to sign it, but on the scale of cataclysmic events which might befall you, it could be a lot worse! :)

All well & good if you live in the UK. Unfortunately if you have UK cards registered abroad it will be an absolute nightmare. Even just needing a new pin number when you are in the Uk & it has to be sent to home address, but there's no one there as you are in the Uk, will keep you awake for weeks. Doesn't bear thinking about how you get the cards back to yourself if they had to be replaced due to being stolen:eek:
The RFID scanners read all the card data. This can include your card number expiry date and name etc.... It is enough for fraudsters to purchase stuff from the US where they are not yet on chip and pin.

This is worth a watch.

The bit about the cards is near the end 10 minutes in.

Exactly.
It is 12 years now since they introduced it , already flawed by catering the the Yanks, & the Americans have still not got there act together.

No, they only know where your card is. One of mine is in the Uk at the mo.:) & the elder daughter who hadn't been here for 4 years until Christmas has been regularly using 'her' Spanish card here.:LOL:

My nephew & his wife in the UK both use one set of cards between them.

They will if they've put a RFID tag in the seam of your new jeans :rofl::rofl:
Don't need it with your passport in your pocket.:D

Reactions: DBK
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Would I be right in thinking that you need to enable
Contactless payment at some point
To start using it.
I've been asked a few times if I wanted it activated
Yes Tofo, you have to activate the new card at any ATM, just as you would if it wasn't a contactless payment card, and then make a chip and pin payment with it first.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Would I be right in thinking that you need to enable
Contactless payment at some point
To start using it.
I've been asked a few times if I wanted it activated
I don't recall being informed that I had to actually 'activate' the contactless facility, the only condition was that it had to first be used in an ATM if I subsequently wanted to ... as I've never tried it myself for a contactless payment whether it works or not I don't know, but hubby has certainly used his card to pay via contactless and I don't think HE had to activate it specifically (ie just the ATM use first).

Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
I like contactless payment, very convenient and safer than carrying cash - which a pickpocket could remove together with your screened wallet. If I notice a fraudulent transaction on my bank statement I fully expect the bank to reimburse me.

I think folk need to be wary of over-reacting. If this was such a big problem they wouldn't have contactless cards. Just keep your wallet safe and if you have more than one contactless card in your wallet then they can't read them I think. I know this because when they first came out I tried using the card while holding my wallet in the same hand - it wouldn't work until I had moved the wallet away as it was getting confused by the other cards in the wallet.

The range of these readers is only a few inches so just be sensible.

DBK i think you might be right as when i put my bus pass on scanner it would not work// as i had the old under neath

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back