Do you use contactless payment cards ? (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
if you do then do yourself a favour ... Go on fleabay and just put in RFID

YOUR CARD CAN BE READ, COPIED, CLONED OR CHARGED TO FOR AS LITTLE AT A FIVER.

Considering pretty much all the banks that are using contactless payment have no way to opt you out of the system you would think they would at least make users more aware of how easy it is to abuse !

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I asked for a non contactless card from my bank for that very reason. They didn't listen and sent me them. I have bought a bag to stop that kind of copying and I keep them in there. I don't like them at all.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have them despite not wanting them so have them wrapped in tin foil when in wallet/purse. We have no intention at all of using contactless payment. The deliberately lax security implemented by the card issuers was already bad enough without adding extra flaws.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Bugger, was not aware of that, I use mine but wasnt aware of the risk. The only consolation is that the banks will reimburse.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@Jaws thread title, "Do you use contactless payment cards ?"

I try not to John, and like others, and for the same reasons, I didn't want the blooming thing. :(

Thanks for the "heads up". (y)

@GJH, I've only got the one, so our roll of catering foil will be coming into use too. :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Bugger, was not aware of that, I use mine but wasnt aware of the risk. The only consolation is that the banks will reimburse.

So wouldn't you think it would be cheaper for them to make the cards safer and then they could pay us some interest with all the money they have saved :)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The banks are receiving payment from advertisers as the cards are used to activate smart boards.
As you approach them, they read your card, get your info from the card database as to your recent purchases and display adverts they think would be relevant to you.

At the moment ( as far as I am aware ) I do not have any contactless cards, but should I be forced to accept one then I shall get a card protector wallet and invoice the card issuer the price.
No idea if I will succeed in getting the lolly but at least it will cause a headache for someone...

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Thanks for that warning. I've just ordered an RFID blocking wallet! I had not realised how vulnerable these cards are.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
My bank sent me one.
I phoned and told them I didn't want it.
After a bit of "oh they're fine, why don't you?" the guy agreed to have it changed, then told me he totally agreed and gave me even more scare stories!
They sent out a 'normal' card and I cut up the contactless one.
Otherwise I'd have changed banks.
Our other bank asked first, so 'no thanks' to them too.

I didn't know passports were at risk.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I didn't know passports were at risk.
Nor me, until I looked at the sleeves and wallets. :eek:

The banks are receiving payment from advertisers as the cards are used to activate smart boards.
As you approach them, they read your card, get your info from the card database as to your recent purchases and display adverts they think would be relevant to you.
In my case, that'll be Lincolnshire Sausages which I bought from my local butcher, just to try the card out. :LOL:

Cheers,

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
copied from fb
12734259_10154000160962146_6141720393030326234_n.jpg

So this guy was spotted wandering round with a Point of Sale (POS) device. All he has to do is key in a price less than £30 and then touch the device on the pocket that contains your wallet. Ching! You've just been charged automatically on your touch pay enabled credit/debit card.... We just tried this in my local pub with their POS device and it worked... (I've actually shown people this using the NFC function on my mobile to read their card data through their wallet to freak them out but this is the first time I've seen someone doing it for real). Time to invest in a screened wallet I guess...

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Why oh why are we happily walking into Orwell's 1984 Big Brother???
Is an expectation of personal privacy a thing of the past???

When I was renewing my MH insurance, I was telling one firm (who phoned to follow up on a quote they'd given me) that I'd taken out my policy with another, he kept asking me which firm I'd gone with, why, and how much I'd paid - I was trying to be polite but felt that my financial dealings were MINE not his, and he said he "didn't understand why I was being so coy about it"! BECAUSE IT'S PRIVATE!!!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
When I was renewing my MH insurance, I was telling one firm (who phoned to follow up on a quote they'd given me) that I'd taken out my policy with another, he kept asking me which firm I'd gone with, why, and how much I'd paid - I was trying to be polite but felt that my financial dealings were MINE not his, and he said he "didn't understand why I was being so coy about it"! BECAUSE IT'S PRIVATE!!!
Good on you CWH. (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My mum uses it occasionally - she actually told ME how it works and she's 90!!!

I've never used it but my hubby has - I do NOT like it ... give me a standard chip and pin one any day!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Loads of wallets on ebay, if you don't want to replace your existing wallet you can get little sleeves instead - a pack of 10 is 99p delivered:

$_12.JPG

Broken Link Removed

Some patterned wallets here:

Broken Link Removed

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
We have them despite not wanting them so have them wrapped in tin foil when in wallet/purse. We have no intention at all of using contactless payment. The deliberately lax security implemented by the card issuers was already bad enough without adding extra flaws.

Doesn't the tin foil imprison the moths?:LOL:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you examine your card carefully you can see the loop aerial extending from the chip. A small drill could cut this. I do not know if this would stop the contact part working but probably not.

I did take one apart ( after a clone attack ) to see how they work.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I've just ordered one of these for £1.09 delivered:

20D79C869A8C8DA0CD1DCFCECC922303CE33B403C71303CE33CACB7ACB53531333A013CB.JPG

Broken Link Removed

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I like contactless payment, very convenient and safer than carrying cash - which a pickpocket could remove together with your screened wallet. If I notice a fraudulent transaction on my bank statement I fully expect the bank to reimburse me.

I think folk need to be wary of over-reacting. If this was such a big problem they wouldn't have contactless cards. Just keep your wallet safe and if you have more than one contactless card in your wallet then they can't read them I think. I know this because when they first came out I tried using the card while holding my wallet in the same hand - it wouldn't work until I had moved the wallet away as it was getting confused by the other cards in the wallet.

The range of these readers is only a few inches so just be sensible.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Yeah ... but you didn't say WHAT you'd linked to like wot I did! Innit! :LOL:
A didnae need tae. A simple click on yur wee moose reveal't it a, ken whit a mean hen?

P.S.

I've just ordered one of these for £1.09 delivered:

20D79C869A8C8DA0CD1DCFCECC922303CE33B403C71303CE33CACB7ACB53531333A013CB.JPG

Broken Link Removed

Funnily enough Mel, I was looking at that very one for Rita. We've both got good taste, eh? :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The range of these readers is only a few inches so just be sensible.

The range of the bank readers is inches by design but probably not if you design a much more powerful/sensitive one for long range use.

I once tried to pay by just flashing my wallet. Like you, I had 2 cards and it could not proceed because it would not know which card to use. It does not mean that it did not read both cards perfectly.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Have a contactless debit card but only use it on the London underground. No problems so far but will order RFID sleeve as per Minxy's post. Thanks Minxy. (y)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
A good heads up warning, this is interesting information.

http://www.which.co.uk/money/credit-cards-and-loans/guides/contactless-payment/contactless-cards/

To read a card someone would have to get their reader very close to to your card, within 5/10cm which is going to be very difficult. Possibly a risk if you are in a crowded place with the card in a wallet in your back pocket or something similar but in normal use at the pos terminal its not going to happen. I have tried and you really to have hot the car very close.

Card transactions are limited in value, now £30 a time and a pin number will be requested every so often and a thief would be able to spend between £45 and £100 before then was asked for and even then so long as you take reasonable precaution the card issuer will reimburse you.

Given that there are 58 million cards in circulation, or there were when the Which article was written, there is little in the media by way of reports on a security issue, so for the moment I think its case of be careful but don't panic, but thanks for the warning.

I usually use Applepay, have been doing so since it went live and haven't had a problem with it.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If this was such a big problem they wouldn't have contactless cards.
Oh ye of too much faith :) Chip and pin is full of flaws, as the banks and card issuers have known since before implementation, and it's the same with contactless payment.

All they (and big retailers with whom they have made arrangements to bypass security measures) are interested in is making cards easy to use. That way they boost transaction rates and make enough extra money to reimburse customers who spot frauds.
What they don't do, though, is reimburse customers for all the hassle of changing cards and sorting their accounts out. If they were made to bear the costs of that they might start taking security seriously.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
there is little in the media by way of reports on a security issue
Of course there isn't. The banks and card issuers don't publicise it and won't admit there is a problem on the grounds of "security".

I had extensive correspondence after my credit card was cloned and it took months to get them to admit the flaws in security.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I think folk need to be wary of over-reacting. If this was such a big problem they wouldn't have contactless cards.
I don't trust banks or their dedication to MY security issues. If security is based on technology, there's someone somewhere who has the willingness and the nous to by-pass it.
I also like my privacy, so I really don't want THIS either:
I don't believe that the 'getting your info' bit will stop here...

So the banks have thrown away our trust, therefore lost income, so to make more money they do things even less deserving of our trust. Good business plan (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back