Do you use Biodiesel

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Don Quixote, Apr 28, 2013.

?

Do you use Biodiesel

1. Yes

15.6%
  2. No

33.8%
  3. Engine cannot take it

2.6%
  4. Never tried

48.1%
  1. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Thought a poll on the subject would be interesting.

NOTE: Do not want to go into the "in's and out's" of using it or "politically correct" reasons for not using it.

2. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Jesus like busses these polls,not one for weeks then .......:shout::shout::shout:

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Vlad

• Like Like x 1
  3. Deckard

Deckard Read Only Funster

i would - providing its sourced correctly...and its cheaper, no reason for it not to be. I have made my own until the take aways wanted me to pay for used oil :Angry:

• Like Like x 1
  4. enery8

enery8 Funster

I still make my own and pay for the used oil. :cry:
    Its the price of the chemicals, that keep increasing, that might put me off.:Angry:
    they seem the go up each time I order them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Drew

Drew Funster

I guess you mean 100% bio as we all use 5%.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Don't even know what it is !!:Eek!::Eek!::Eek!:

• Like Like x 2
  7. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Used to use all sorts of waste=oil etc. in the old MB608. No need to bother now, with 'Delyth' as diesel's so cheap here ... :Smile:

8. steevie

steevie Funster

I make my own, and am a moderator on the vegatableoildiesel forum, helping others with production probs and general vehicle related problems. I certainly couldnt be off in my RV as much as we are if I didnt use biodiesel. Sad that the government has taken off the 20p per litre subsidy that commercial producers had, as now many have had to shut down, as continuing would have made biodiesel dearer than ordinary diesel. The green benefits of biodiesel are really good, with neutral Co2 [giving off only the small amount taken in by the plants growing], no sulphur dioxide, great reductions in soot and carbon monoxide etc. Just about all diesel engines will run well on well made biodiesel, despite what the doom and gloom brigade say. Biodiesel in the UK is made from large percentages of waste oil, which helps stop dumping down drains and such, which has long been a problem in cities for the water authorities. The only down side of using biodiesel is that it has poor cold qualities, and needs either winter additives, or using at a mix with standard diesel when it gets to minus zero conditions. As with anything new, there are those who will be for and against, but rudolph Diesel invented the diesel engine to run on peanut oil....and then they found fossil oil in vast quantities, so the new cheap fuel took over. Not so cheap now though.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Drew, yes 100%, EDITED: Do you fill your tank with Biodiesel

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  10. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    Pointless poll then if we all use 5% bio wether we want to or not.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Noted and edited accordingly, good point.

12. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

i tried it in a 2002 transit and within 2 days it was running like a dog new filter and tank full of shell cured it and didnt go back again

13. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

have use of same year/type van 2.0 weaned it onto bio (proper mix,not just Diesel and wvo mix)over a few runs then in cold w/x 75% bio/Diesel warm w/x 100% Bio van goes all over UK no probs ,also use it in 2.5 Cherokee jeep and camper :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Well at the moment I'm running 1 tank Bio and next tank diesel. Cannot say I have notice a great MPG difference.

15. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Current EU spec is 7% max. "Bio" is generally above 20% as in B20. Pure biofuel is B100. Poor cold properties, can destroy some seals in the system but is a good lubricant (sulphur used to be the lubricant in old diesel; they had to introduce the lubricity test in EN590 when they introduced Ultra low sulphur fuel). Good stuff in the right motor, provided that it is local and not palm oil based or similar from Malaysia/Indonesia. I like it but would never use it in my 'van

16. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

I do wish people who say yes they do would let us know the type of engine they have. i.e is it a very modern common rail or the good old fashioned diesel in use for so many years.

I was(am!) under the impression that with modern en gines 100% is a no no.

Any further info?

17. bigmillie

bigmillie Read Only Funster

We run a very old Merc 207d and I have fitted a two tank system extra 30l tank for veg/bio

this is run through a home made heat exchanger with a system of solenoids which enables diesel or bio/veg at the touch of a switch.

This engine (616 2.5 L ) will run on anything oily and will run happily on straight vegetable oil from Tesco's at £1 a Liter

It seems to return the same 24/26 mpg as diesel

This has been in use for about 4 years now

• Like Like x 1
  18. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Yes. 100% in Merc 2.9td, VW 1.9td, VW 1.9 naturally aspirated. For a total of hundreds of thousands of miles, over several years. No problem whatsoever.

• Like Like x 1
  19. steevie

steevie Funster

There is confusion over biodiesel and vegoil as fuel. All diesel engines should run OK on well made biodiesel, but only certain engines will be alright on vegoil. The criteria for vegoil is....bosch injection only. Indirect injection only, and not common rail or unit injection. There are a few exceptions to this but wont complicate it further. As for biodiesel in modern engines, the majority of vehicles currently on the road are common rail or unit injection, and thousands are running on 100% biodiesel. A local commercial producer has parcel vans as regular customers, and the owner runs a 2012 Rangerover on it. Some who have tried it and not faired well were probably not told that after the first 500mls, or two weeks, you should change the fuel filter, as bio fuel cleans the crap out of the tank and system. This is a one off procedure, and back to normal service changes afterwards.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Drew

Drew Funster