Do you use Apple Music Service? If so read this please. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I read it and was concerned until I read this ..

Quote:

On Wednesday, I saw a post widely shared about an unfortunate individual who lost half of their local library and was blaming Apple Music for automatically deleting their local files.

I sympathize, and I'm very glad this person had a backup of their music, but I want to dispel some FUD here: Apple Music has definite problems and its matching algorithms aren't great, but this is simply not how the service works. Apple Music should never automatically delete files off your primary Mac's hard drive unless you specifically delete them first.

http://www.imore.com/no-apple-music-not-deleting-tracks-your-hard-drive-unless-you-tell-it

http://www.imore.com/no-apple-not-adding-drm-songs-your-mac-you-already-own

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I hate iTunes, especially since Apple Music started. Now when I search my own music on my phone, the first suggestions are options to buy music I've searched for, music I already own. You can stop it going on line but it keeps reverting. :doh:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I hated the changes to the Music app as well until I found out how to switch it off the online services. Mine only shows music stored on the device now and so far, touch wood, has never reverted.

I have Spotify Premium included with my phone contract so have never really looked at Apple Music.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
@scotjimland I stopped using iTunes years ago when it messed up my library of ripped CD's.

The linked blog post may have used the word steal incorrectly. However there is definately an issue with people "losing" their music either to misunderstanding the software or bugs in the software. I think my warning is still valid and that keeping a FULL backup of your music library is recommended if you link your personal collection to a cloud service....

I keep my music collection in 3 places. 1 live, 2 backup on the same computer (second drive) for quick restore and 3 on a USB HDD stored elsewhere in case my van burns down....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
http://www.macworld.com/article/306...ple-music-doesnt-delete-your-music-files.html

I don’t know what happened to Mr. Pinkstone’s music files. Somehow they got deleted; whether through user error or by another application. But I know that this is not how iCloud Music Library works.

Whatever the cause of this incident, it highlights the need for backups; fortunately, Mr. Pinkstone had a backup of his music files. I maintain three backups of my media library, because I have a very large library, and I’ve spent a lot of time tagging my files and adding album artwork. But I have three backups of all my files, so I’m pretty safe. When I do lose files because of some ham-fisted maneuver—and this happens—I can pull copies from one of my backups.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Being old school I like to own the actual, hold it in my hand, CD and then put it on my I pod. Sorted! :D

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
but no one has had their music 'stolen' by Apple..

I did say that the choice of word 'steal' was used incorrectly. Removed or deleted was probably a better choice.

However he is not the only person who has had this happen to them. There are enough examples of this floating around to say that the risk is real. Whether it is caused by a bug or unclear instructions is irrelevant. It is also worth noting that iTunes runs on windows as well as the Mac. It is not clear from my original link if that person uses Windows or a Mac. He mentions Wav files which are more often associated with windows than Apple. This issue may be related to a single platform.

The source of your denial is MacWorld which is a notoriously pro Apple site for obvious reasons. The other source is iMore which is also an Apple fan site. I don't trust any pro-mac site when it comes to rebuttals.

I have seen comments from tech users who have had similar things happen to them. For most people they have noticed music go missing and didn't connect the dots until this blog post. Whether it is a bug, finger trouble, pebkac or something else there is enough anecdotal evidence to suggest that this is something worth being concerned about.

For every complaint about big losses like this one. http://www.loopinsight.com/2015/07/22/apple-music-is-a-nightmare-and-im-done-with-it/
(This is a pro Apple Site). There are probably hundreds where people have lost a handful of songs and not noticed.

I still think this warning is worth making, if it encourages people to take a backup of their own music before signing up to cloud services like Apple Music.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Removed or deleted was probably a better choice.

(snipped)
take a backup of their own music before signing up to cloud services like Apple Music.

backing up your music is good advice.. ..

agreed..

I've been using iTunes since it first came out , 2001 .. used it on both Windows and Macs.. my music library has been built up over the years, songs copied from vinyl LPs, CDs, radio and other sources plus music and video purchased from Apple..

I allow iTunes to organise and find album covers.. At first I was a bit apprehensive allowing Apple to 'see' my music.. they may think it's illegal or pirated.. and either remove or report.. that has ever happened..

The only time I've 'lost' music it's been my own fault.. I have accidentally deleted an iTunes library, but fortunately.. it was backed up.. it's easy to do.. all too often we press buttons mistakenly or not thinking what we are doing.. watching Jan when she's downloading and installing software is scary.. she blindly accepts and presses ok all too often without reading what she is doing..

so.. back to the person who lost their files..

a mistake they made.. or a bug.. ?

more likely a mistake and one worth nothing.. and being reminded about.. so your op wasn't in vain..

but they weren't stolen or deleted by Apple.. and as we both said.....

The solution? Back up your original library
The best thing you can do when syncing your music with a third party service such as Apple Music is to back it up first. Either use Time Machine to store a local copy, or upload it to a cloud service such as OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Drive.

As long as you have the original files, you will never lose access to them. They are, after all, your property.

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/no-apple-music-doesnt-delete-your-files/

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have had DRM applied by Apple to songs I own, simple to remove if you know how but what a pain. It's a bug, it's a poor practice, it's a shady practice? Backing up your iTunes folder is not good enough. If you don't have an independent back up outside of iTunes then you're stuff is still locked. it's as good as stealing your content.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
DRM .. Apple will not automatically remove any iTunes music files you own on your computer and replace it with a digital rights managed (DRM) file.

I don't have iTunes, I don't have an Apple and I don't use cloud services. However when I did use ITunes it reorganised my music and I still haven't recovered it back to how it was before....

Anyway that is by the by. Here is one comment I thought pretty much covered why I believe it is bad and novice users could be confused.. Spelling mistakes are his not mine.

The techinical problem I’m finding with Apple Music is that you can’t separate iTunes Match from Apple Music and iCloud library and I find this very frustrating.

I want to keep iTunes Match as a safe vault of my music, a cheap back up I have on the side. However, if I switch on iCloud library they all merge (Apple Music, iCloud library, iTunes Match). Which means, you can no longer do what you want with your iTunes Match content (ie: if you delete something you sort of lose ownership of it) and if you do, you then have to keep paying the £9.99 for the rest of your life (and can switch iTunes Match off) which I’m quite sure I won’t be doing. It’s really bad financial decision.
So I feel the “all or nothing” dilemma.
I wish they’d let you keep the two completely sepearate. Apple Music just doesn’t “just work” really…
P.S.: if you have a way of separating the two please let me know!

Or this one.

How about this… I just ripped a Smashing Pumpkins CD into iTunes. I set it to MP3 with 128kbps quality for the rip. It quickly “Matched” in iTunes. I did “Remove Download” for 1 track, then Downloaded it again from iCloud. It returned to iTunes as a 256kbps track in “Apple Music AAC audio file” form. When I went into my iTunes folder, that is the only track missing. It is now in a separate folder under Apple Music. Right clicking the file and going to properties shows it as “MPEG-4 Audio File (Protected) (.m4p)”.

Apple Music and iTunes Match “Just Doesn’t Work”.

Loads more on various sources.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
I actually lost all my iTunes music a year ago. One day I had the whole library, the next only those I had bought from the Apple Store.

All the tiles were there but no data behind them.

After an hour on line with Apple help desk they conceded I had lost them, but could do nothing to help.

I had to load the all again as although I had a back up on time machine that was corrupted as well.

I now keep a file on a separate HD and will think about a third back up as well!

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We have change our whole music listening system, Moved to Spotify £10 a month for as much music as you will ever want, we have wifi/bluetooth Bose system 3 speakers and an iPad.
Can still use iTunes so have the best of both worlds.

Ok Spotify doesn`t have everything that you might want but the £10 monthly fee is certainly cheaper than buying cd`s and you can download music instantly.
I can move the Bose speakers to anywhere in the house or garden and still have access at the push of a button to all my music library.

Sometimes technology is fantastic.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
One windows laptop, 2x32 gig flash drives, 2xi pods, 2x 1tb external hard drives.
It's mine and I'm keeping it.:D

Deleted User
I don't have iTunes, I don't have an Apple and I don't use cloud services. However when I did use ITunes it reorganised my music and I still haven't recovered it back to how it was before....

Anyway that is by the by. Here is one comment I thought pretty much covered why I believe it is bad and novice users could be confused.. Spelling mistakes are his not mine.

Or this one.

Loads more on various sources.

A wise man:)

I bought an I pod afew years ago without realising that I would fall into the clutches of Apples itunes system. When I connected it to my computer which contains 50+ Gb of Mp3's it immediately sync'd
the lot into an itunes folder and because a lot of it was transcribed from LP's and had no digital siganature I had an awful lot of unrecognisable mp3's, it did however leave my original files intact.

I did eventually manage to get most of what I wanted onto the ipod but have not attempted to add anything since and deleted the itunes folder. I still have a £25 voucher from itunes but I will not go near any of their services again if I can possibly avoid it.........the same goes for cloud services........see my thread regarding data uploading:(

I have since bought mp3 players that I control, not Apple.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Android

green%20monster.jpg

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Like some of the posts above we stopped using itunes years ago, the most intrusive and potentially dangerous program that I have ever come across. It tried to take over everything on the computer, another reason for not liking Apple products. We have an ipod gathering dust in a drawer somewhere, much better off with a standard file folder and an ordinary mp3 player.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back