Do you tip in France?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Nirvanauk, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

In France or Spain I always tip about >10% despite being told that "servis est compris". This week in Paris have asked the question and been told an emphatic "Non, servis is not included".

So, does anyone have a definitive answer? Should I tip or not, don't want to be tight ass Limey!

Maybe a question for Yodelli if you are watching?
    Thanks.

2. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I am a tight arse I agree, but in France or Spain I will add around 10%. Usually servis is non compris. If the service has been crap I pointedly don't leave a tip of course, but this is rare.

3. Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete Read Only Funster

I don't tip anyone, unless they provide service over and above that which one would normally expect, no matter what country I am in.

Pete:Cool:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I always tip 10% or enough to get a decent drink.
    For example a taxi driver charges me £5 I will give him £8. If the charge is £50 I will give a fiver. Unless the taxi driver is a mardy twat or behaves inconsiderately he get nothing.

In restaurants I do the same. I am more aware of tipping in restaurants as they tend to rely on tips to make their wages liveable.

If the service is substandard they get the tip but no repeat business.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete Read Only Funster

What does "service not included" (in which ever language you choose) actually mean?

Does it mean that the waiters are not paid?

I don't think so!

If the waiter wants a tip, he or she should go out of their way to provide memorable service.

How many times does that happen?

If you ask me it's just a con.

Pete:Cool:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Always, regardless of country.

• Like Like x 3
  7. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

I lean more towards Itinerant than Snowbird, tipping is often OTT.

I find it very refreshing in Japan where tipping is definitely not expected - the price you see is what you pay, including in taxis.

Elsewhere, if service is clearly included I do not tip as well.

If service is not included I tip - 10% - if the service has been good.

In the US service staff get paid very very little so tipping is important to them, trouble is when americans travel they assume its the same elsewhere and tip as they would at home. This spoils it for everyone else who would not otherwise need to tip so much.

• Like Like x 1
  8. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

No , never.

9. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

As said in my OP I believe in tipping, however when you see 15% added to your bill then you think again. I live in York and know of at least one up market restaurant that adds 15%to the bill. I asked a member of staff if they get that money and they said "no way", so I now deduct it from the bill and give the waiter that amount in cash for which they are extremely grateful .!

• Like Like x 6
  10. busby

busby Funster

I am fed up with tipping the Government 20% every time i purchase a non food item!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Encantador

Encantador Funster

Had a discussion the other day as we are considering opening a cafe.

My suggestion is that tips are kept by the staff concerned so they have a incentive to try that bit harder.

My wife and the two friends present all argued that all tips should go into a fund that is divided among the staff at Christmas.

Part of my argument against that is that there is no incentive for staff who might be thinking that they will not still be working there by Christmas. Also you then have to have a system that gives more to the people who have been there for a long time and less to those who might have been there for a very short time.

Their argument is that it can then be shared out among the kitchen staff too.

Is there a better way?

Steve

12. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Always do in Greece and Greek islands, usually do in Spain.. Rarely do in France ( but the reason for that is simple.. We ALWAYS seem to get a bell end for a waiter !!! )

Waiters wages in Greece are bloody awful. Little more than a retainer. They are expected to live off the tips gained. Not a bad idea in one way as they do seem to go out of their way to try and give top notch service :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

You have to pay Income Tax on any tips you get, and sometimes National Insurance contributions as well.

Read this before deciding .. https://www.gov.uk/tips-at-work/tips-and-tax

as for the OP , never tip here or abroad..

14. Philiphall

Philiphall Funster

I tend to eat & drink in small village bars in France and over the years have mainly had good service. (Paris cafes are different and in my opinion crap as are the waiters!) I usually tip about 10% - most small places in France are family run and most of the smaller bars are struggling to survive - just like British pubs. However the more I drink the more I tip......e.g lunchtime 1 carafe of wine 10%, dinner: aperitif, wine, digestive 15%-20% after dinner god only knows what I tip!:Rofl1:

15. billkce

billkce Funster

Do you tip in France...NO!

16. Encantador

Encantador Funster

Thanks, my argument just got stronger.....:BigGrin:

17. Sidney

Sidney Funster

I tip to reflect the service I get. So I have left nothing in some places and I have left 20% in others. It's a choice thing in the UK and Europe.

In America it's horrible - a tip of 15% is seen as mean 17-18% is normal and 20% is good. My US friends sit and work it out with a calculator (how bad is that?) I say serve me well and I'll tip, go to no effort and you'll get nowt.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  18. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Bugger me, that's 60%! :Eek!:

19. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Just remember ignorance is bliss!
    Unless your naive enough to think all market traders ,fair workers ,burger bar owners and everyone else who deals in small change,is totally honest. ?
    The choice os yours but remember just because others do it doesn't make it right!
    You won't get me dumping grey waste or parking without consideration for by laws or land owners.:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Vlad

20. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

I always offer a tip in France, although the person taking the order with the headset at the window often gets confused, she just tells me to go to the last window and collect my order...

It really depends where you are:

Village Auberge with low prices and typically good value food vs a Michelin starred place like Bocus in Lyon where the average head is €125.

In Europe I rarely tip unless it's exceptional service, in other countries it's different.