Do you think it's legal/cruel/OK ......? (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Do you think it's legal/cruel/OK to have meerkats as pets?

We were in Hameln last week and a young couple had 2 pet meerkats which they were carrying round the supermarket in a pet carrier. When she opened the lid and I saw these 2 adorable little critters I fell in love immediately, and of course wanted my own!.

Paul says it's cruel to keep them like that because they need to be in their natural habitat. Also, where would you BUY a meerkat! What do others think? :Smile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think you will be OK as long as you have no sense of smell. The kids wanted a couple, but from what i read they do not make very good pets. Apart from the pong they need to dig a lot. My advice, as sweet as they look, don't go there.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Meerkats have been sold as pets for many years - it isn't a new thing, just made popular due to the advert.

What you have to remember is, they are social group animals, that work as a pack. Unless you are going to convert a section of garden to a meerkat domain and have half a dozen, then I think it would be detrimental to the animals happiness.

I think they are sold in pairs, and are around £600 each.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
... even if I would like one, I don't think I could get Paul to agree on it! I'm having a hard enough job trying to persuade him to have a small dog or a cat!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Go and give an unloved dog a home!

There are plenty out there to choose from - all they want is a warm bed, plenty of love and somewhere to call home.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Other than "Domestic" animals ie Cat`s and Dog`s... I am against any animal from being kept as a pet, be it Snake/Iguana any type of Reptile/Animal....

If they originated from the wild, that is where they should be,,,, so many are nearly extinct to satisfy mankinds want for the unusual...

Only my personel opinion though.. :Angry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back