Do You Think Anyone Would Be Interested In... (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have just come back from Marjal...

I did not like the campsite as I prefer off site parking/camping but I loved meeting up with, and hanging out with, all the Funsters...

Many of them use sites all the time but some of them do camp sites, aires and some "wild" camping.

Before and after the "meet" they have been, and are going to be, driving all over the place visiting here and there and this and that.

I have toured (mostly on my own but sometimes with another van or two) all over Portugal and have found many beautiful "offsite" parking places with a range of varying facilities.

I know where I can get water... where I can go for a swim in a lake... I know where big supermarkets are for fresh milk... I know quiet spots and spots where other motorhomers/vanners often visit... I even know where washing machines are and where the wi-fi is free... :winky:

I started thinking about a "rolling" (touring) Funster "offsite" meet, semi-organised but very fluid, where a few Funster vans could travel together on a route through Portugal calling in at places of interest with an element of pre-planning so no one would run out of water and have places to empty cassettes and pick up supplies but everyone would be free to leave the gang and maybe re join later on, and others could join at different places.

The idea would be to introduce some people, who were always attracted to the idea of "off site" touring but a bit wary of doing so, to its joys and also give the "I am independent and would die rather than visit a campsite and/or attend a meet" people the chance to meet other Funsters face to face...

It would also (if I was to be one of the organisers) provide a steady supply of Fray Bentos Pies and Heinz soups etc as I would want at least one pie (or its like) a week for sharing my knowledge... :winky:

Would this sort of thing interest any of you?

JJ :Cool:

Obviously we would all call in at Alvor for a week or two to empty our black and grey water and party noisely through out the night...:ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi jj. theres a good meeting place in portugal somewhere on the algarve . oh yes .alvor . loads use it and the locals are nice and friendly . see you there next winter. hee hee .
cheers alan.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
do anything to get a FBP

JJ will do anything to get a FBP:winky:

Sounds good idea JJ lets hope you get some takers.:thumb:

Bob:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Hi JJ.

We're hopeing to hit Europe winter 2013, so a ways off yet but a 'guided crash course' in off site camping sounds like fun::bigsmile:

Sounds daft planning that far ahead, but it's part of the plan, with the rough itinery of south through France until it's warmer, potter, Spain, Portugal and back gently for spring/work.

We'll see, but it's the plan::bigsmile:

PS get that tree down, yes I know Nigel made it but we don't want to hurt Winne:thumb: (assuming we make it that far and get 'invited')

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
always take several when going away . cant beat fraybentos ,chips and mushy peas .
ideal for that special meal specially when others have been away from uk along time . actually hardly eat them at home but they are nice when away.
its like carrying lots of bacon or chedder cheese . you just have to. mmmmm

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
We might be interested - please keep us informed.

Andrew :thumb:

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
Sounds brilliant to me. I was just saying to my faithful butler/ chauffeur / handyman / gardener Twinge (first name Fastidious) that it's time for the next big adventure.

Lorraine x

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
....Errrrr.....Would it be possible to plan a route which would go across Lisbon airport, some very precise day so that , if it is OK with you that is, some frog ( a very tiny one ...promissed .... !) could jump in the Hymer and be part of the experience (not the one with electric stuff to see how nerves react , please!:Eeek:), let's say for 3 or 4 days, if planning allows?????
Please....????:Smile:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Not long now Frankie !!!!

I did not like the campsite as I prefer off site parking/camping but I loved meeting up with, and hanging out with, all the Funsters...

Many of them use sites all the time but some of them do camp sites, aires and some "wild" camping.

Before and after the "meet" they have been, and are going to be, driving all over the place visiting here and there and this and that.

I have toured (mostly on my own but sometimes with another van or two) all over Portugal and have found many beautiful "offsite" parking places with a range of varying facilities.

I know where I can get water... where I can go for a swim in a lake... I know where big supermarkets are for fresh milk... I know quiet spots and spots where other motorhomers/vanners often visit... I even know where washing machines are and where the wi-fi is free... :winky:

I started thinking about a "rolling" (touring) Funster "offsite" meet, semi-organised but very fluid, where a few Funster vans could travel together on a route through Portugal calling in at places of interest with an element of pre-planning so no one would run out of water and have places to empty cassettes and pick up supplies but everyone would be free to leave the gang and maybe re join later on, and others could join at different places.

The idea would be to introduce some people, who were always attracted to the idea of "off site" touring but a bit wary of doing so, to its joys and also give the "I am independent and would die rather than visit a campsite and/or attend a meet" people the chance to meet other Funsters face to face...

It would also (if I was to be one of the organisers) provide a steady supply of Fray Bentos Pies and Heinz soups etc as I would want at least one pie (or its like) a week for sharing my knowledge... :winky:

Obviously we would all call in at Alvor for a week or two to empty our black and grey water and party noisely through out the night...:ROFLMAO:

And I know where your Princess lives.......hee, hee !! She awaits me with her tresses hanging from her boudoir window !!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Otherwise...Yes it is of great interest to me !!

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
Sounds good to us depends on time of year though have fbp, mushy peas, red wine, boddingtons bitter and chain saw:Eeek:
Probably better not used in that order:ROFLMAO:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Sounds absolutely brill, but not sure circumstances would allow. Do keep us posted. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp

you can count us in, we were also thinking on these line's for sweden and scandinavia, starting perhaps at our place, Alf :thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Now where else would you get 20 years of knowlege offered for a Fray Bentos Pie, could only be on fun, priceless, thanks JJ:thumb:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We can but dream , Im afraid ......
A few more years and we'd be saying get our names down pronto please .
Wheres the green with envy smiley when you need it:cry:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Sounds like a good idea JJ, but it may take some organizing.

We have done a bit of wilding in Portugal and like it more than Spain, although I'm sure we have a lot more to discover in both countries. :Cool:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Super idea .. but..

One or perhaps two vans JJ .. otherwise you'll end up as a tour guide with the expectations, a lot of hassle and daft questions.

It would need to be made very clear it was not an organised trip in any way, shape or form .. indeed, as a precaution, I would ask for a signed disclaimer saying you were not responsible for any mishaps or accidents.

Not trying to put you off.. it's a super idea, but I've looked into organising small MH trips to France and between the hassle and legals, it put me off..

Two or three friends tagging along is different.. just as long as it is perfectly clear you are NOT organising, planning or promising anything..

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I went into TEsco yesterday to get some more FB puddings and saw a pile if FB pies (boozy Ale pies) marked down to £1 each. Upon closer inspection I saw the lable (special import from our supplier in Portugal). Nuff said:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Sounds a great idea JJ particularly for Euro newbies in a motorhome.

you can count us in, we were also thinking on these line's for sweden and scandinavia, starting perhaps at our place, Alf :thumb:

And this sounds good too. :thumb:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Sounds good to me

I would be interested - for 2014, booked up till then!!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I would most definately be interested in this.

Would need to make sure you don't have too many people as it would look like a gypsy convoy and scare the locals:ROFLMAO:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
JJs, touring.

Well JJ, It looks as if you've sparked up alot of interests, on the day counts most of all, it will keep you busy planning and routing, and you certainly seem to know all that!, being a qualified full timer, the best stop overs and not just sites, as like you our only interests on sites are meeting up with our friends, and havin a good bash say over christmas, new year period and alike, thats the reason for motorhoming so you dont have to get bored on one place and finding every nut and crany is a pleasure and rewarding, So Our very best wishes goes your way and your princess, in making plans for event, please keep us posted, enjoy the weekend where ever you are!!!,stay safe, up here we woke this morning full sunshine and + deg, snows melting and birds are singing, so its a great feeling to be on this earth, cant wait to get back in the barn and working on the motorhome! and away for the easter period, Have it GOoood, Alf & Marianne.:Cool:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Love the idea JJ just not sure 50 or so vans is gonna be that easy to wild park at night:Doh:

but we are on our way right now, where are we meeting::bigsmile:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Love the idea JJ just not sure [HI]50 or so vans[/HI] is gonna be that easy to wild park at night:Doh:
but we are on our way right now, where are we meeting::bigsmile:

50 vans :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

I was thinking of more like 5...:ROFLMAO:

I don't picture a load of Funsters driving along the road in a convoy (like processionary caterpillars... !!!)

I had more in mind people doing their own thing and meeting up at pre-determined locations rather like the Funsters are doing at Marjal... the difference being they all return to the same place each night while we wouldn't be...

Still loads to think about and discuss though...

Now I have to go and check all is well with the Sundowners at QMJ and take Nigel some tools (axe, chain saw, fork, spade and rake) as I know he wants to slave away on improvements while he is there...:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back