Do you own yours or is it on loan? (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Talking metaphorically, rather than literally...we were thinking about fitting a wallclock in our Starburst, that we've had for nearly a year, but decided against if it would mean drilling a hole in the wall to mount it. Set me thinking [always a dangerous condition] about the nature of our relationship with it.

I realised that at the back of our minds on almost every decision made had been 'how will this affect the eventual sale to another owner'? Things like putting mats down to protect the carpets, a reluctance to use the shower in case it gets too scruffy and above all a veto on any wall-drilling! This suggests that we don't really see the van as 'ours' despite being exceptionally pleased with it and feeling extremely smug at having chosen so well for a first van. Do you share this feeling? And does it ever subside?

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
I have just changed my van. On getting a valuation for the px, NO dealer even looked at my van and gave me a price while sat in their office or in the van we were looking at. It could have been scrubbed within an inch of its life or a complete shed it did not appear to affect the price. The same applied to mileage and extras. Do the mods you want and make the van yours.:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
This is a term I often use when talking to motorcycle owners..

Do you own it or have you just rented it from Honda ?

I am DEFINITELY an owner !! ... Everything I have I 'get at' !

It never concerns me about drilling holes and stuff.. We want the van as we want it, not as someone esoteric possible owner in a future realm wants it ! :winky:

Mind you, it should be mentioned that back in 1971ish I bought an almost new mk II cortina 1600GT

On the way home I decided it was far too boxy, so went straight to my garage detrimmed it, cut the roof off and welded it back on 3" lower ( tilted and raked the windscreen pillars so the oem screen fitted, dumped the rear door windows and rear screen and fitted steel plates with port hole type windows in ! )

There followed several more highly modified vehicles such at 4.5 ltr Vauxhall Victor with the 10" raise on the back and the mk IIII Zodiac rear lights, the 1.6 tranny that grew into a 3 ltr V6 with twin brake circuits etc, the mini with a 2.2 Jag interior, the.. well you get the idea

Sooo perhaps I am not the ideal person to listen to when it comes to 'should I drill a hole or not' !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
we bought our 1st van in July (after many years thinking about it) and are doing everything we can to make it OUR van, fitting things to walls, extra shelfs etc etc. Some may add to re-sale value some may not but want to make living in van feel like home on wheels.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I started off with a scruffy, elderly van as I've got two dogs and I couldn't be doing with anything 'precious'.

When she eventually falls to bits, I'll buy another pre-loved van :Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have seen many German vans advertised with the words, toilet never used, shower never used, cooker never used. We use everything and treat it as home. Am afraid I could not live the way some do. My sister has a three piece in her lounge and for 5 years its never been sat on :Doh:. Come to think of it I don't think the cooker has been used that much either :ROFLMAO:.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just a thought...
Re the OP

If you was looking at a replacement van, would you go for one that has a wall clock already fitted or one that you will have to fit one in ?

For me, the more extras fitted the more I am getting for my dosh !

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
We use ours as was intended.
When we buy our RVs, it begins with a complete scrub down inside and out. That way it's amazing what is found, and needs re-newing or altering to suit.
Then it's a complete service, and put right anything that's wrong or worn.
We use the shower, toilet, sinks, cooker, microwave, electric and gas water heaters, and all other amenities. That's what we bought it for, the layout and functionality.
Using the facilities keeps them working, and any faults can be rectified as we go along.
Use everything and you will be sure that all's well when it comes to sell. Not using things is not a good idea.
We keep it as clean as possible, and everything is kept in good working order, and maintained properly.
Anything that is added, has to be needed, and is fixed appropriately. If it is not suitable, removal is easy, and little, or no witness marks will be left.
I saw a few years ago in a magazine, someone had literally sawn the top off the dinette seats to, 'aid through vision' :Doh: Can you imagine that?

Enjoy your MH/RV and use it for what it's worth.

Craig

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
If you need a hook, get a hook, if you need a shelf, get a shelf etc etc I wouldn't not make any modification/addition without considering the effect on resale but small mods like these don't IMHO make much of a difference:thumb:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
It is very much my van and everything in it gets used. I'm not trundling off to some communal shower block when I have a great little shower room all to myself with plenty of hot water. :RollEyes:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We got our van in March - bought brand new - we bought it to use and love! We have added a few bits, mainly extra hooks in the bathroom etc. We make use of everything in the van - can't see the point of paying for it not to use it. In one of our carvavans we removed the removable carpets and of course handed over brand new carpets for someone else to enjoy when we traded in :Doh: - never done it again.

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Its your van so use it, if you want a dump take one, if your dirty take a shower, if your hungry cook. As for adding things on I woudnt just drill holes for the sake of it but if you need something putting up to make your life easier then do it, as if like us your going to have the van for many many years theres no point in struggling.

Case in point for us was the tv bracket, the van does have a tv cupboard but trying to get the tv to a point that you could comfortably see it was impossible, so I affixed a tv bracket to a more convient point, although it was one of those brackets that you can remove the articulated assembly so you only see the wall clamp.

As for making things look scruffy because you have used them, then you would obvoiusly repair and look after it, after all you look after your home and put wall clocks up and I reckon you havnt thought about reselling value when you did that.

So just go for it, after all its yours.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The only thing we don't use in our van is the oven, as we have a double skillet. We also very rarely use the TV aerial as we hardly ever watch telly. Otherwise, it's there to be used and is used to the full :thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I hope Slobberdobabob doesnt see this thread.

He likes his 'extras'::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
but decided against if it would mean drilling a hole in the wall

Ours is like a Swiss cheese I've drilled so many holes in it to route wires.

The really scary ones are over 50mm through the outside. Finger trembling on drill trigger.

You really get to know a van when you do this and I can't fault Burstner, all top quality construction.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If it is there, use it! I agree that drilling holes for horse brasses or pictures of your dog or inlaws are something that will effect the value greatly due to it being a personal thing. I have seen many with these left in on part exchange - so they can't mean that much to the person who owned it.

Clocks, I see no problem with as the next owner will find them 'useful', which I think the the key - fit useful things!

People may no want to personalise their motorhome for fear of resale value, due to it being a large expenditure item, which they want to minimise depreciation and protect their 'savings' as it were. Those that part exchange do not worry about depreciation anyway, as they are willing to part with it for pocket money.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
bought ours dealer was going to fit
a rear hatch but didnt

so i cut it out myself
had to to fit it down the drive
cant get out the doors otherwise

which also ment the fitted heater
had to go or move

replaced that with a propex heater
fitted in a bottom draw space

had it reupholstered last year

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I use and fit what suits me and the only thing that has affected the value on all the caravans we had was the carpet which we have always left down and used, it did affect the PX value:cry: but then we do mostly grass camping at dog shows and we do have 6 / 7 dogs with us !!

The previous owner of our van gave us a brand new set of fitted mats but as we were having a lounge carpet fitted at the time I got the carpet shop to make me a duplicate set and he had exactly the same non slip carpet in stock, brilliant.:thumb:

Dave

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
3M manufactures a device similar to Velcro, you can get different "strengths"

We have a mirror, 3mm glass 300x300mm hanging on one in the M/H No need to drill and easily removed when you need to.
Sold in Homebase and B&Q, even seen them in Aldi

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I spose the main thing I'd worry about if viewing your van to purchase is the same as I'd worry about modifications to or in any structure - what you have drilled into and how good a driller you are; if for instance the clock was too heavy for what you hung it on ..... and when you remove it to put it in your new van, am I going to be condemned to having another one to cover the hole/screw anyway?

But then I'd ask you that. Are you leaving the clock where it is and how long has it been there? ie did you put it up yesterday to hide summat behind it you don't want me to see. But you could lie in response anyway .....

:ROFLMAO:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
No need to drill holes in the interior, just use heavy duty velcro.

If you want to remove it, use a hairdryer to warm it up and peel off.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
OK, so not in the same league price-wise as a "proper" motorhome, but I'm treating my campervan the same as any cars I've owned - I'm assuming zero trade-in value, that I'll run it into the ground and therefore I'll modify it as I wish.

Mind you, this is someone who had to get rid of a Citroen AX with 330K miles on the clock and was given an insulting trade-in value for a C3 a few years ago. And the campervan's a Fiat...asking for trouble or what? :Doh:

OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for replies - I guess it also coms down to how competent a DIYer one is! And that a motorhome is a combination of vehicle and house - I never 'customise' my cars but don't think twice about making alterations to the house, either by me or by someone who knows what they're doing! I suspect I'll continue to draw the line at drilling holes - we've put hooks and things up, but perhaps don't have the nerve to get the drill out. Useful tip re the Velcro type stuff especially. And we do use all aspects of the van - but tend to regard showering in it as an off-grid activity due to the hassle of cleaning it afterwards!

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I`ve ad my van 8 years and ave used an broke most of the things in it and repaired it,it lost money when I drove it orf the forecourt so if it`s got it use it:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Errr, why is the shower hard to clean?

Do you leave it till you are that dirty there's black soapsuds flying about into inaccessible corners?

Seriously, wish bathroom at home was as easy to clean as the M/H. It's just water running down the plastic walls in our, quick once over with a sponge and quite seriously, you wouldn't know it had been used. You do have to kneel down to do the floor but you have to clean that anyway don't you?

The only thing that gets up my wick in there are all the ruddy nooks and crannies round the lav seat, and that's nowt to do with the shower.

Intrigued .......

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Own it, use it and most of all make it yours. Make it more convenient for you to use and enjoy. I spent over £6000 on extras on a new van, but we used it for 6 years and when we sell it next year, the new owners will have a van fitted with everything they could want - except for A/C as there is no room on the roof!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back