do you need to make appointment for vets in France?

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by solitaire woman, Mar 29, 2009.

1. solitaire woman

solitaire woman Read Only Funster

Am heading back through France tomorrow and will need my dog to be seen by a vet in France prior to the trip back through the tunnel. Have never done it before so am unsure about vets in France. Can you just turn up and be seen by the vet or do you usually have to make an appointment?
    Thanks.

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Vets in Calais

I think you need to call a vet and arrange a visit.

Full list and telephone numbers of vets in Nord-Pas de Calais, call 0033 327 96 84 38.

Clinique Vétérinaire du Parc Saint Pierre des Drs Fermé J. M. 73, rue Aristide Briand (near the Town hall) Tel: 0033 321 34 93 88. Fax: 0033 321 97 16 56. Open: Monday to Friday 9.00am to 7.00pm, Saturday 9.00am to 4.00pm.

Centre Vétérinaire Curie - 139, Bd. Curie, 62100. Calais. Tel: 0033 321 82 15 11.

Clinique Vétérinaire du Docteur Nowosad - 138, Bd. La Fayette, 62100. Calais. Tel: 0033 321 36 67 96. Fax: 0033 321 36 05 63.

Clinique Vétérinaire des Salines (Dr. DELVAL Valérie) - 11, Place Crevecoeur, 62100. Calais. Tel: 0033 321 00 71 00. Fax: 0033 321 00 71 09.

Docteur Christiane Petry - Veterinaire. 1148 Bd du General De Gaulle. 62100 Calais. Tel: 0033 321 34 77 39.

3. takeaflight

takeaflight Read Only Funster

Hi this is French yellow pages PagesJaunes - Résultats de la recherche

with some address's for the calais area. However we always try to visit one about 24hrs drive away from Calais so that we can board and return home straight away.

Roy

4. N Luyetund

N Luyetund Deleted User

I had the same problem about 3/4 weeks ago... although I agonised about appointments and timings....

In the event I turned up at the vets in Ligeuil when they opened in the morning and was seen straight away... back in the UK within 48hours:Wink:

5. Parcverger

Parcverger Funster - Campsite Owner

We've made appointments with a local vet (who speaks English) for those en route to the UK, and it seems to work well. We're a day's drive from the central Channel ports, and between one day and a day and a half from Calais, so the timing can fit in quite well. At least it means that there is no need to sit around the Calais area twiddling thumbs for 24 hours:thumb::thumb:

Bob and Di

6. zaskar

zaskar Funster

For what it's worth, I can thoroughly recomend Dr Christian Petry (see Jims list above),
    She's a lovelly lass, very helpfull and speaks better English than my pathetic attempts at French. her location is also good for motorhome parking on the street as it's quite wide and fairly quiet.

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Honfleur

Alternatively, there is a vet just across the road from the aire at Honfluer, I haven't used them myself but met a couple who had and said it was about half the cost of the Calais vets ..
    Honfleur is about 170ml from Calais.. an comfortable 3 - 4 hrs drive on departure day.

hth

Jim

8. smifee

smifee Read Only Funster

Dr Petry likes you to make an appointment.

i don't like making an appointment.

i'm usually told by the receptionist/assistant that she can't see me now. when i ask for details of another vet she changes her mind.

9. dazzaandjay

dazzaandjay Read Only Funster

vets

hi
    we live in france (near perpignan) and the 24 hour window to get our after the vets is a pain, cant leave before 24hours is up and have to be out before 48 hours...

we were told by local french people that the vets will forward stamp a passport! not sure if they will all do it, cos they of course shouldnt, but, apparently it goes on. ie if you wanted to leave franve on saturday you could get your pet passport in order on say monday if the vet stamped it for friday ;-)

we will put this to the test once back in france in a few days, but we know our local vets quite well now.

its all just a money making scam anyway, i mean do they think that flea and tick treatments suddenly stop working after 48hours? does the UK not have fleas and ticks and such stuff, what ever next!

good luck
    D

10. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Vets in France

Hi Solitaire
    We live in France and we had three dogs on arrival (but now only have two) we use the vets at St-Pol-sur-Ternoise about 200 meters of the N39(D939 the dual carriage way part of the road that by-passes St-Pol-sur-Ternoise between Arras and LeTouquet) about 30 to 40 miles from the A16 (E402)west/motorway and about 30miles from the A26 E15)east/motorway that comes down through France from Calais . We use the vets regularly and have never ever had to book.
    Mel

11. HighDesert

HighDesert Deleted User

The name of your vet in france & location?

Hi,

We are planning to be in Perpignan during early July and will need a vet near the city to treat our dog with the flea/tick and worming medicine before heading back to UK. I would be grateful if you would give me the name of your vet near Perpignan and their phone number and/or email. Also, do they speak English? And are they open Monday mornings? Also, are their costs reasonable? And lastly, can we provide our own treatment products for the flea/tick and worming requirements?

Any information is welcomed and much appreciated.

Thanks very much

12. solitaire woman

Thanks everyone for your replys. Sorry I didnt repond sooner, I enventually went to a vets in Beaune who charged 27 euros consultation fee and then the frontline and worming tablet as extra. Didnt realise that you could only use frontline, I had Promeris with me. I find that this works better than frontline, but had to buy some frontline. Everything went fine at the tunnel, no one really looked at my dog except to check the microchip! Thanks again.

13. Heyupluv

vets in France

Hi Solitaire
    It’s me again, what you said about using Frontline...is not correct… (well to my experience), My friend as just been over from Huddersfield and went back to England last Wednesday 15/4/2009, He went along to my vets in St Pol and they used a brand I had never heard off ( I could get you the name if needed) also my vets did ask my friend if he already had his own medication so he could use instead of purchasing another set, but my friend had left them back in England!!!!! so he charged them 47 euros complete for everything and this was for consultation a pack of three sachets for tics and a worming tablet (that means he has two sachets left to use before April 2010 to come back to France or return to England or use in England) he weighs the dog (adult border collie) for the correct size tic sachet and worming tablet makes sure the dog HAS taken the tablet squeezers the tic fluid at the back of the neck checks the identification number and fills the paper work stamps and signs.............My friend and Wife with border collie had no problems with the pet control at the tunnel.....So No it does not seem as if you have to use frontline.

I would think the vets you have used is making some money on using his own products
    Was your price for just 1 sachet of Tic and 1 worming tablet and what did he charge for them
    Mel

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  14. solitaire woman

Hi Melvin,

The cost inclusive of all medication was extortionate in fact! It was just over 70 euros, that was for 3 pippets of frontline duo and 1 worming tablet. Maybe it was just Promeris she wouldnt use, or as you say, just wanted the money. I used the vets in Beune as I just happened to see it, and there wasnt a que! No wonder at those prices I hear you say!

15. Heyupluv

vets in France

Hi Solitaire...my friend in England has just telephoned me so I asked what was the name of the Tic sachet he was given in France..............PROMERIS DUO !! WHAT A COINCIDENCE...mmmm

16. Joan 70

Joan 70 Deleted User

Hi There, I live in the South of France and usually have to make vet appointments.

:Rofl1:

17. georgeawe

georgeawe Read Only Funster

Vets near Honfleur

Delighted to read recommendation of ver near Honfleur. We shall be sailing from le Havre soon and this will be ideal. Can anyone tell me if this aires there is safe. Also, do you have an email for the vet in Honfleur so that I can make an appointment.
    Regards to everyone

18. wanttobeaway

wanttobeaway Read Only Funster

Hello
    Yes the aire is very safe and the place is very nice will say that there is another vets just up the bank from the vets at the bottom and you do not need to put an appointment on also its cheaper allowed to use own gear as well

19. lisab

lisab Read Only Funster

Used the vet in Honfleur in September same cost as Mdm Petry in Calais in June although she wasnt quite such a pleasant lady (not unpleasant - just a bit "efficient") she set up jab for wormer and I refused it for tablet - I am told they are more expensive and I dont like my little man keep being stabbed! Would use her again her are her details:

Cabinet Veterinaire de L'Estuaire
    Docteur Violaine Letisse

tel 0231988246/0607387435
    fax0231881767

email: dr.letisse@wanadoo.fr

:Smile:

I emailed for an appointment.

20. georgeawe

georgeawe Read Only Funster

vet in honfleur

Hi folks

Thanks for replies. We are not tied to using vet in Honfleur as we are sailing from le Havre. Could possibly use Trouville or Corseules. Really anywhere where there is an aire where we could shop and park safely overnight before sailing (anything up to 100 miles away) Also, do not want to be ripped off and we have found vets further from the port work out cheaper than those beside ports.

Thanks for the tip on providing your own wormer. Do you get it from your own vet or buy it online? Also, do the French vets not object to this or hike up their prices in lieu of making monies through selling medication?

Thanks friends for your help