Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I note that a lot of the new vans come only with a tin of Glup and a silly compressor, Well I have a spare wheel on my van and BOY am I glad I had it. The valve on the rear offside split open and a flat tyre happened whilst I was driving at speed on the way to Stafford on Friday. I noticed it when I stopped at Aldi in Towcester and then tried to pump it up using a garage pump next door. The type you stick 50 p in and set the pressure, It did nothing at all as it kept going to 26 psi and letting out most of what was left. in the end I heard the air coming out whist moving the valve. Out came the spare from under the van. I got plastered in dirt but at least I had a tyre with air in it. Struggled and farted around and got it on with its mate, but the valve was sha===ged so I later parked up and then went to a small garage who changed it for a £5 but I suspect the tyre is no good as it was very hot, so another tyre is needed so that I can match it to the unused spare that is on there now.
NO GLUP on Earth is going to save you when a valve goes. so I advise everyone to get a spare from a scrapyard or some other source.
You will not regret it when the flat occurs in the middle of nowhere at night. And I was VERY GLAD I had bought the hydraulic 8 ton jack as there was no way the tin plate wonder that was with the van would have lifted it.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We debated this long and hard when I found we were on the weight limit. That spare is the weight of a safari room. The tools weigh a tonne.

In 10 years we've had one puncture, it was spotted on site at Misterton.

We did have a grinding noise in Germany, jacked it up and found the front disk shield had moved and was just touching the disk - sorted.

So we still carry a spare and tools, but it's very much open to debate.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My last puncture ( I have MH, Smart car, and over the period in question, three other cars, two previous MH, and two motorcycles) was in the late '90s. I found it at home on the drive. I have a spare on MH and on trailer. Probably perished by the time I need them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I now have a spare tyre but no spare wheel (bought the tyre from another Funster :) ). The motorhome came with a can of gunge.

There is no way I could change a wheel myself so would need to call the breakdown service. I checked the terms and conditions and I am covered for punctures etc if there was no spare wheel supplied with the motorhome. If I am ever unlucky enough to need help I would call the breakdown service and tell them have a tyre that can be fitted to the existing wheel and (I hope) they would be able to send someone who can put the tyre on the wheel or recover the motorhome to someone who can.

It wouldn't help if the wheel rim is damaged of course.

I've had 5 punctures in the past 10 years - and only one in the 30 years before that and I do many less miles now..... think it is because hedges are trimmed by machine and old wire fencing gets cut and left in the road ready for me to drive over it :( There is always a rash of punctures after the field hedges have been cut according to the local garage. Three of the five punctures have been due to wire rips.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Yep I ordered a spare wheel as an option with our Arto.peace of mind really(y)
Brian & Jo

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
I have had a driving licence for 50years, my mini had a slow puncture in 1969. Expect to have another one any time soon, after that bit of boasting.:doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

?

Deleted User
95-96 ish i got a repair kit for my bike as i was going a jolly to Italy. Still got it in a sealed bag as it was on day one. Dont even think i had one in the car yet however, I did notice the spare on my van is flat.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
I have a spare but bizarrely no tool kit. My theory is that I'd be crap at changing it and would call the rescue to do it and they would have some kit.
Is that a reasonable if lazy solution

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back