Do you name your MH and why ?? (1 Viewer)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Not named this one yet ... it still has to earn its brownie points .... My last one was called Buddy ..... had its name on the side door ...... Why? Because it was ... quite simply. It was more than a buddy ... it was my life saver at the time... I still miss it.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
We don't either. And it's not a he or she either. Usually it just gets called 'the van' although last week it was 'the f***ing van' when the alternator packed up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
When I had my own business we had two Vans, and a caravan. When asked where something was I would say it's in the van, looking in three vans before getting the correct one my wife decided to name them so when our first Motorhome she gave it a name to stop any confusion. As we have a personal number plate our Motorhome has the name Sausey Sally to reflect its reg number.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
No..Never...Its my roman catholic upbringing I guess..once a catholic always a catholic maybe? Giving inanimate objects names is bizarre in my book, its called Anthropomorphism apparently...well odd!lol

I save my empathy for things with a pulse thanks:)

Bazzermc

Free Member
Feb 7, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
I'm a newbie
We must be bizarre....
Named ours "Penny" because she was purchased with some of my pension lump sum......

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
"Wallace" - you only had to look at its registration to know why! And it wasn't even me who named it or chose the registration - blame my sister!

May 21, 2012
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2012
Nessa as in Van _ Nessa not original but it seemed ungrateful calling her the Van all the time

Bobndebs McKay

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Bali for the Winter!! Back in Feb 2016
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FMSE
Exp
5 months travelling Through France, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Holland as a Full timer in our firs
Lizzie, because thanks to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth (Lizzie) , I have a pension which allows me to have Lizzie and tour in her.

Mothy

Free Member
Sep 1, 2015
Hythe, Hants
Funster No
MH
Lo-line
Exp
1 month
Bessy, because 'the van' is something I drove for work for many years and motorhome is too long. And it is a Bessacarr! Original? NO!

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
Normally I laugh at those who name their vehicles but With a name like highwayman our MH was just crying out to be called Bess.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
ours is "Lily" cos it's a Laika and we have "Milly" the Merc, "Bessy" the Citroen and a little Honda Lead we call "Billy" simply cos we is SAD !! and don't care

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Mine is called MAX , as quite a few of you on here know!
1)Max was bought in Germany,2) I speak more English than French in a day time and 3)when I went to Germany I had with me a precious tool funster @Terry sent me as a present : A damp meter and funnily, Funster Terry's dog is called Max
German's short for Maxence or Maximillian is Max .... and Germany is where he was built and born
Max can be either French for Maxime
or English Max
And I wanted to remember that I had been able to damp check my future motorhome with Terry's tool and his dog being called Max was the final sign

This is how I have decided to call mine MAX!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Bertie,after my dear departed dad,without whom I probably wouldn't have been able to afford one,so at the end of a long journey I always give the dash a pat and say "Thanks Bertie".

Ours is called Bertie too - but it was TOH who called it "Bertie Bolero". Got his name on the bonnet (and a moustache now!). Sad.
Like your reason better.

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Been trying to find a name for currant moho since we got it then life-long friend borrowed it for a week and upon returning said *thank's for the loan of the Tardis"Seemed apropite as it seams bigger on the inside and takes us on our travels.sometimes through time.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
My RMB is called Udo.

Why? Well, the dealer chap we bought him from in Germany was called Udo Wagner and I was constantly referring to this chap Udo to my wife and children during the buying process until collection in deepest, foggiest, remotest Germany one cold November morning. This spanned two months and many emails.

Amongst all this, I couldn't continually say 'the RMB' or 'the motorhome' as both use rather a lot of syllables for my limited lexicon. I had in my mind this image of a German Udo person as being somewhat chubby and forever smiling and well past middle age. These were attributes that matched my RMB perfectly, so we kind of gravitated towards calling my RMB 'Udo'.

However, amidst all this, some good friends of ours also suggested calling him 'Gruber' from Allo-Allo - as in 'my little tank', which encapsulates an RMB's build quality perfectly. Occasionally, Udo gets called Gruber in a mock-German accent.

As things turned out, the real Udo wasn't fat at all but looked like an ex-Services chap. I had to laugh when we met Udo the person (tall and lean) and Udo the RMB (tall, slightly gawky and appealingly distinctive). I never managed to summon the courage to tell the dealer what we called his latest sale just in case I caused him unintentional offence. He was a nice chap.

Meanwhile, Udo the RMB has become part of our family - the four of us, the cat and another six cars. Some of the cars get names and others don't, but we do also own a 'Toby' and an 'Eleanor'. The rest are just their badged makers names.

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
Our first "taster" motorhome was an ancient and venerable Pilote, on a Talbot chassis. We called him Nigel - ask anyone who has worked for BA why!!

This one is a Rapido, and has been through a few names, before we settled on Eric.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back