Do you keep going back to the same places or try new (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
We used to tear around like things possessed (y) No time to hang about, too much to see over the horizon :rolleyes:

@Anthea M this is for you :D

Problem is you don't really see much doing one night stops.:)

We have spent 25 years touring Europe, mainly with a tent or caravan, mostly stopping 2 or 3 nights which gave us time to explore the area we were in. Some we have returned to, some not, having a separate vehicle to get around in obviously made exploring easier.

We also made many short trips to Spain by aeroplane, hired a car and toured around stopping in cheap Hostals and cabins on sites, always with a mind to visits in the caravan.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have definitely been guilty of charging round the country, including our most recent trip, but we have promised ourselves never again

current plan for next trip is as per another thread on here, Canal du Midi, drive down to Bordeaux area, then 10 / 20 miles a day till we bump into the med

a lot depends on retirement status for most of us, we are nearly there now, but three weeks for Bev is still a long time away from her business in one run

one day soon maybe :)

thanks for all the comments (y)

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
We're currently on an Acsi site at Navajas, Spain (number 2698). Came for a couple of days as a break from the coast, that was 8 days ago and no plans to move on yet. Nearly everyone we have met has been here loads of times before, and we'll definitely be back.
Maybe we're still tuggers at heart.:)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have some favourite places but also like to visit new ones.

This year, when we return to France, we already know we will visit one of our favourite places as we love the large market held each Saturday. But, after that, we will meander for a few days, going where the mood takes us.

Some of our best finds have been purely accidental. Wandering along, seeing a nice looking village or town in the distance, and turning off the main road to explore. Beautiful town squares with cafƩs and restaurants beckon, so we stay for the night.

Also my original Satnav, Mrs Maison, has a habit of looking at the map and saying "take the next left. It looks like an interesting road". We have certainly been on some very interesting roads as a result.:eek:

It's all part of the adventure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
We have our "Staging posts" when getting to and from the uk,however,once,when time was not so important, six days after leaving england,we were still near Biarritz,it was magical just to jingle down.
Dropped on a super..."Site".. Les Plages d Beg Laguer. 22300 Lannion Cotes d Armor. Check it out. Went in for one night,stayed seven.you have a choice of in the trees pitches,or out in the open pitches,beach about 200 yds down the road,parking for m/homes on the first terrace of the car park,restaurants at the camp and beach. I think you can wild camp up by the area around the Pink Granite beaches
This is not a "Must do",but if you are in need of a site for a night and are nearby,sorted.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Last summer we headed towards Colmar & Strasbourg, both new to us. We stopped at Metz (new to us) and after talking to someone on site we changed direction and headed south and ended up at Nancy, also new venue, where we had one of the most entertaining evenings with some locals on Bastille day (it involved naked dancing - not us though) :D

We have also gone back to favourite places like La Mailleraye sur Seine & Sees & St Palais & La Fleche

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
For us it depends on how much tome we have to be away. If its just for a few days we tend to revisit localish favourite spots but when we get the chance to go away for a week or more we like to explore. Lots of hidden gems in Scotland to be found...Well as if I need to tell you that:)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We combine exploration of the new with relaxation at the familiar, usually with the relaxation bit at the end so we know what we're getting.

Most of the places we'll visit this spring will be new to us. In the autumn it'll be a combination of new followed by a few days at an old favourite.

Next summer is likely to be all new.

We most definitely couldn't keep going back to the same place over and over again - not sure why you'd have a MH for that, but each to their own.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Benidorm comes across as being a popular place to return too...:)

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
Like you @DavidG58 we are not retired yet so I bank my holidays and then head to Portugal mostly new sites but some favorites, and yes Diane still tries to use MH as a caravan,:rolleyes::rolleyes:(y)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
not knocking Benidorm as I haven't yet tried it, but not sure your reply is substantiated :) not by just one comment
You are right, I think Benidorm probably gets too hot in the summer and too cold and wet in the winter for motorhoming. :)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
The real adventure for us though is that we never really have much of a plan so it is inevitable that we occasionally end up in the same place, apart from rallies that is!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We will rarely do more than 2 - 3 weeks away due to work. We are popping down to spain in a couple of weeks time.
We will do most of the journey in one day . In fact we intend to stay south of Toulouse at the end of the first full day away. Then into the pyrenees to check snow. Depending how it is will depend how long we stay or wether we just continue on towards Roses.
It's all suck it and see to be honest but long journeys to get where we want to be don't bother us at all.

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
Looks like it is a matter of choice.
We have local sites that we stay at for short breaks and travel to new sites for longer stays.
Love to do one night stop overs and have found some little gems.
Just bought our first MH after 15 years of caravanning so want to do a long tour of Scotland, then southern Ireland then over to Portugal.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We like to try new Aires, often recommended by others we meet. How long we end up staying depends on what we find to do in the area where we are parked up. On the Brittany coast we didn't move too far each day as we chose to use the aires' as spots to set off for a walk. One day we would turn left along the coast and the next day turn right !
Similarly with cycling, we pick up info from Tourist offices and if there are a number of cycle routes we might stay a bit longer.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But we are all different, and we (me and Mrs Chox) have seen all we need to see in 36000 miles and 13 countries :D

Impetuous yoof. Quantity, not quality.

We visited Canaro on Maggiore twice, loved it partly because of the hotel we used, we were greeted, on the bike, by the owner with "the mad English are back". On the third visit we turned a corner we missed previously and found a path to a magnificent waterfall. This is where we fell in love with Italy and still are. Spain we go for weather, mostly, Italy we go for passion.

So the question is "how much have you missed".

I know I've missed a lot due to "must get there" and dash to destination. But I've still got a MH and now have done over 60,000 miles in it.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Benidorm comes across as being a popular place to return too...:)

Nowhere within an easy MH drive delivers winter weather like that bit of coast. Simple as that. You can have the fully open Benidorm or you can pick several nearby towns that will have good weather but little life. Sure as hell Benidorm has life.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
For convenience and closeness, we always use the "Safety" of the New Forest sites and will probably continue to do so, but we have also seen more of the Country since we got the MH in Dec 15, then we ever did in the 10+ years of Folding Camper tuggin'

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Mostly new places for us we very rarely visit the same place.
So far 5 continents 79 countries plus 50 American states.

I'll get me coat ..............:cautious: (hehe)

That IS impressive(y)

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
A bit of both, I feel no need to tick boxes and say I have been everywhere personally, I really am not a selfie person either! Lots of beautiful, peaceful or exciting places to see and hoping to chill and explore as we go. We do sometimes drive quite a way but that isn't a chore on quiet roads. We have a 5 year plan for the motorhome, use it, enjoy it and if we want to carry on after that we will. I have a little sign stuck to the wall, lets find a beautiful place and get lost, its sums us up. There are a few places we go back to but mostly as stopping off points to newer destinations.

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
We generally decide on an approximate destination, then follow the bonnet. We stop en-route when ever we want and when we see something that interests us. We never book campsites in advance (we don't know where we'll be), so in late afternoon we see what's about, then turn up and enquire. If we don't like it, or they have no space or requirements like a minimum stay of 1 week, we find another site. In over 30 years we have never not found a site yet. For us the journey is part of the enjoyment, and on occasions we have been to places we have been to before, but we also find new places that we may end up coming back to again. For us, that is all part of the fun and pleasure of having a camper van - freedom

Cheers

Trevor

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
We often visit somewhere and think, "We must come back again in the summer/autumn, etc. or for longer."
But then we think, "Yes, but we still haven't seen Croatia/Poland/Spain/Portugal/Turkey/Macedonia/Lithuania..."
And the list goes on! Plus we know that in each of those countries there are many, many wonderful places to visit that we'll never get round to seeing. Too many places in the world we haven't been to yet, and not enough time! :(

Steve :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back