Do You Jack it, or Not?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Tootles, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Talking to a traffic PC I know today, and the talk soon went onto the law, roads and stuff, (as it does). Told him we had bought an MH, and asked him about changing a punctured wheel on the motorway. He amazed me by saying it is now illegal to change, or attempt to change, a wheel on ANY vehicle on the motorway. You have to call out your recovery company, (AA, RAC etc). If you have no recovery contract, there is a standing charge of £180.00.
    So, the question must be asked. Why bother to carry a jack? Might as well call them out, providing you have a contract, and let them struggle with a heavy wheel, in the rain, and even say on a non-motorway road.
    He also said that the AA, RAC, Green Flag blah blah, put a limit of 3500kg on a wheel change. Food for thought.

• Like Like x 3
  2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I also am amazed.

But I can immediately guess who pushed for this law.

I still can't believe it. Are you sure ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I bought a 6 tonne bottle jack from Lidl some years ago and used to carry it about with me. Then Dave Newell pointed out the potential difficulties and dangers of amateurs messing about with heavy wheels.

If we did have a problem, anywhere, I would leave it to the Pros to deal with.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Phill D

Phill D

Not wishing to contradict your post. but all i have looked up in the latest information says;

its not illegal, just not advised and that you should inform the motorway agency / police before attempting the change.

not that its a great idea to change a wheel on a hard shoulder.:Doh:

be nice to have a link to the law that is clear and unambiguous :thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  5. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

I am president of the old farts club, UK and Spain and because of my position in said organisation, my jack is a phone.:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I wouldn't think it's illegal.

After all that's a very sick big bird.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Just checked it out.

8. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Anyway, just phoned him. He clarifies that "You will be stopped from continuing with any repair, wheel change, on the hard shoulder. Failure to comply will probably result in you being arrested".

I can see the point, but that seems a bit harsh, however...........:cry:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Phill D

Phill D

the amendment covers Northern Ireland not uk as far as i can see.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Phill D

Phill D

Pasted quote off google

28 Jun 2013 - Although it is not illegal to change a wheel on the motorway hard shoulder, the Highway Code advises against this and urges motorists not to :Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

As mentioned by myself elsewhere.. I have quite a lot of dealings with someone ( ex plod ) who has become a legal eagle specifically dealing with road traffic acts and laws ( note, there IS a difference between an act and a law )

He has assured me it is NOT illegal but as mentioned ill advised.

His parting comment just now.....

The new breed of traffic police get an average 2 weeks training in traffic law. Most have little idea what is and is not legal.. As an example he sited the change in law which now allows undertaking if done for reasons of safety.. and that actually includes undertaking someone on a motorway sitting in the middle lane when the out side lane is busy.

If you should get stopped simply ask the officer to give act and law that says it is illegal :Wink:

12. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Thanks for that. Fine line, however. Firstly, I don't think that anyone in their right mind would want to attempt the bl**dy job with say an offside rear wheel on the M6 at anytime. Secondly, I bet you could get arrested for failing to comply......They can nick you for just saying 'bu**er off' these days.

• Like Like x 2
  13. rangitira

rangitira Funster

The recovery Fellas generally want to piggy back you to "a safe place" Which is reasonable, when they are doing the change!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Whether its legal or not, there is no way I would attempt a wheel change on a motorway or dual carriageway. I do carry a 10 ton jack and spare wheel, so that if I was stuck out in the sticks with no phone signal I could at least take my time and change the wheel to get out of trouble. Many breakdown insurance companies state that they will only change a wheel if you have a serviceable spare wheel. How you would fair with one of the modern vans with no spare I dont know. Would you want to risk it on a dark, wet, Saturday night on your way to catch a Dover ferry. Its all a very grey dark area, that I would not like to be in, so will continue to carry my jack, wheel brace and spare, even if I have no intention of using it.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Phill D

Phill D

agreed John its the best option, but if its a rear tyre and most of our vans cant be lifted by the A**se end:Eeek:

also a recovery guy when lifting the front of our last van had me screaming at him to stop when he was oblivious to the length of the overhang :Doh:

his response " i knows what i is doin sir"
    mine; " I'll take a photo now before you move and you'll pay for the damage caused then"

he, not being a happy teddy bear ( did i swear then ) put the van down and pi$$ed off:Eeek: i then got a call from RAC saying were sending another recovery who was brill :thumb:
    so you gotta watch em with eagle eye:RollEyes:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  16. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

Was there a post on here several days ago about someone who had a puncture on their lorry and the recovery agent would only change the wheel if the inside lane was closed off and the Highways agency wanted some fantastic figure, about £800, if I remember correctly, to shut the lane off.?

This is on the same lines as what is being discussed here.

17. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Read that, I thought it was £6000 to £8000!!

18. estcres

I think your'e correct, they phoned one department and they said £800 but then discovered it was the wrong area, second area said a much larger amount, like you say in the £0000's

Vehicle owner siad "stuff that" and waited for their own recovery service to remove the vehicle from the Motorway.

Just imagine being told that you would have to pay £0000's to enable the lane to be closed in order to change the wheel on your Motorhome, even if you are with one of the Breakdown services. I'd get the Mrs to push it to the next exit.

19. Daedalus

Daedalus Funster

Indeed - the whole caboodle is called 'Legislation' commonly referred to as the 'Law' - however the distinction is that there are Acts (e.g. The Road Traffic Act 1988) and Regulations (e.g. The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986) - don't ask me why, I have no idea, and, the 'Law' in England & Wales is different to the 'Law' in Scotland and in Northern Ireland.

Daedalus

20. estcres

taken from "Ask".com

The difference between an act and a law is that whereas a law are rules and regulations passed by parliament to protect and guide the citizens of a country, acts are laws that are passed and relate to specific situations and circumstances.

Therefore acts will be enacted from time to time whereas laws stay constant over long periods of time.

I'm just as baffled now as I was before.