Do you have a spare wheel/tyre? (And GasIt) (1 Viewer)

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
Just curious if manufacturers of motorhomes are still including a spare with new vehicles or have any of them gone the way of a lot of car manufacturers and started giving a repair kit instead?

I would have thought they do include a spare as the vehicles are commercial based and I can't see the repairs working with the loads involved.

Another question - gas it do containers to go in place of the spare - has anyone got one? What's your thoughts on no spare wheel?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
To answer your question in the broadest terms, Yes some have both gasit and a spare, you should know in the motor home world everything and anything is or has been done
either by the Manf or the owner but most often a combination of the two
BUT I dont know of anyone who has substituted their spare wheel for a do-nut type gas tank,
its not really necessary as there are alternatives that will allow you to have both
many M/Homes are sold without a spare, many have no Gasit either.
like i said every combination you can think of is out there.
It's just a question of deciding what you need or want and working out how to achieve it

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
In my opinion a spare wheel is a necessity, although in the interests of weight and cost savings most vehicle manufacturers do not include them now.

In the case of a damaged tyre that can't be temporarily repaired with gunge you could be stuck by the roadside for hours, particularly at night or have to be recovered from a motorway.

If a spare is not included I will allways buy one ... in fact I have bought three spare wheel/tyres this year, two for cars and one m/h.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Our spare is mounted on the back door but we don't have gasit

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A spare wheel and the tools to change it is a legal requirement in Spain.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain/safety-and-security
You must carry two red warning triangles which should be placed, in the event of an accident or breakdown, in front of and behind the vehicle. You must have a spare wheel and the tools to change it. If at any time you have to leave your vehicle due to an accident or breakdown or while waiting for the arrival of the emergency services, you must wear a reflective vest or you may face a heavy fine. UK provisional licences are not valid for driving in Spain.

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safety/going_abroad/spain/other_en.htm

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Spare wheel for me,there are those that have never had to use theirs.......... Sods Law LOL
Tea Bag

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
particularly at night or have to be recovered from a motorway.
Not sure from this comment if the member is suggesting fitting your own spare as the result of a flat on the motorway?

DONT DO IT! - it is so dangerous to be broken down on motorways. your life is worth more than the cost of a tyre. 42 tons of artic lorry make a real mess of anything they hit.

limp off the motorway on the hard shoulder or wait for recovery

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We have a spare wheel as standard in its own purpose built cupboard just over the tow bar. This doesn't mean I will be attempting to change a flat tyre, that's what breakdown cover is for especially at the side of a m/way! We also have retro fit a GasIt system.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
No spare and no gasit or any other refillable. Hopefully never need either, but only time will tell.(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Wouldn't travel without a spare, in the past had a couple of blow outs on caravans not much left of the tyre.
Also if traveling in France or Spain and you get a blow out or non-repairable puncture quite likely at short notice you will not be able to get the exact same tire that is on your van you will have to buy two. Tyres must be of same make and type on the same axle in both countries.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Tyres must be of same make and type on the same axle in both countries.
I've read this before, but what happens if you walk into a tyre fitters with a wheel under your arm and ask for a new one? Do they refuse to sell you one till thrive seen the other one on the same axle? Construction the same but same make and tread pattern, really?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Our MH came with a spare wheel / tyre & I wouldn't travel without one.

SWMBO's Fiesta came with the useless inflation kit which I replaced with a spare wheel / tyre.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i carry two spares for the truck and two spares for my fiver . plus tubes ,puncture outfit etc . if you need a tyre while abroad you will wish you had took one from uk.
uk is possibly the cheapest country in the eu for tyres and in morocco well you might need a mortgage .
as to calling out breakdowns for wheel changing ,unless you really are disabled i hope the company never lets you have recovery and breakdown with them again . or up your fees.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Re Spain. I'm pretty sure that spare rule only applies if the vehicle was fitted with one in the first place.
For us... no spare wheel.
Spare tyre and the tel no of breakdown company.
Although I'm quite happy to change a wheel on the drive there is no way I'm going to be carrying a wheel and heavy duty jack etc and then potentially be on a busy road and/inclement weather when I can just put the kettle on and wait.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Re Spain. I'm pretty sure that spare rule only applies if the vehicle was fitted with one in the first place.

interesting.. where did you read that ?

I have cited two sources that don't make that exception..
This is from the AA

1. You must carry the following in Spain
    •  Spare wheel (not for two-wheeled vehicles) – and the tools to change a wheel, or a tyre repair kit.

EQUIPMENTIt is required that drivers carry two warning triangles, a complete set of spare bulbs, fuses and spare wheel as well as the appropriate tools to replace them.

http://www.euroadlegal.co.uk/country/spain.html
      Essential Safety Equipment
      • Warning triangle x 2
      • Headlamp converters
      • GB plate (see note 1)
      • Spare bulbs (see note 2)
      • Reflective vest (see note 3)
      • Spare pair of prescription spectacles (if worn for driving)
      • Spare wheel
      • Spare fan belt

1. Road rules in Spain

Driving in Spain is on the right-hand side of the road, similar to many other continental European nations. There is a number of rules that drivers must adhere to in order to legally drive in Spain:
    • All car owners are required to carry two warning triangles if the car is Spanish registered, as well as carry a complete set of spare bulbs, fuses, a spare wheel and the tools to replace them.

Personally I wouldn't leave home without a spare wheel.. and especially going abroad.. I wouldn't change myself unless it was no other option and safe to do so.. otherwise.. breakdown man .. but without a spare you may wait a long time for the tyre to be repaired or replaced..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've read this before, but what happens if you walk into a tyre fitters with a wheel under your arm and ask for a new one? Do they refuse to sell you one till thrive seen the other one on the same axle? Construction the same but same make and tread pattern, really?
OK without a spare how are you going to lug your wheel to the tyre dept.
Where we stopped for the night in Avila in Spain a few weeks ago chap with an old Kon-Tiki had a flat, local type company would only supply two tyres the same for the axle.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
@scotjimland .. I don't have a quote to hand but I did read it on here and it makes sense as some small cars now don't have room to carry a spare wheel. I'm sure it was spare or kit supplied.
I'll have a proper look in a bit

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
OK without a spare how are you going to lug your wheel to the tyre dept.
Where we stopped for the night in Avila in Spain a few weeks ago chap with an old Kon-Tiki had a flat, local type company would only supply two tyres the same for the axle.
With no spare I would call adac and they would sort it for me. I asked about this and they confirmed that this is common.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
@scotjimland doesnt the above contradict each other where one states spare wheel and the tools to change and one states / or a tyre repair kit. Surely this would mean no spare required if you have a repair kit.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We're probably best asking one of our spanish or ex pat members but my understanding is that the requirement for a spare is no longer valid due to run flat tyres and no spare supplied by manufacturers

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Wouldn't travel without a spare, in the past had a couple of blow outs on caravans not much left of the tyre.
Also if traveling in France or Spain and you get a blow out or non-repairable puncture quite likely at short notice you will not be able to get the exact same tire that is on your van you will have to buy two. Tyres must be of same make and type on the same axle in both countries.

I had this problem in France last year. The garage couldn't obtain the same type of tyre. For expediency I ended up buying two. Non camping tyres, €330.00 for the two fitted.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We're probably best asking one of our spanish or ex pat members but my understanding is that the requirement for a spare is no longer valid due to run flat tyres and no spare supplied by manufacturers

I can only point to what the European Commission say..

same link which I gave earlier.. it is not the AA or the RAC interpretation.. there is no mention of repair kit or run flat tyres..

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safety/going_abroad/spain/other_en.htm

submenu-triangle.jpg

Safety equipment for cars

Spare wheel and tools for fitting it
2 portable warning triangles
Reflective vest
Buses and large commercial vehicles: fire extinguisher
Use of wheel chains mandatory in heavy snow.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Guardia Civil traffic police officers have this to say on their site

Offence: Failing to Carry the Correct Emergency Equipment.

Failing to carry the correct emergency equipment in the car will result in a fine. The mandatory equipment you must carry are two warning triangles, a reflective vest, and spare wheel, along with the tools to change it. It is no longer mandatory for you to carry spare bulbs or a spare set of spectacles, if you wear them, although it is advisory to do so.

Fine: 80 euro

Reason: In the event of an emergency it is important to be prepared. Warning triangles and high visibility vests save lives in the event of vehicle occupants having to leave the vehicle and move about the carriageway. Having an emergency wheel is also important to ensure you can continue with your journey in the event of one of the most common mechanical issues, a puncture.

Broken Link Removed

Since posting I have since found this information/

According to Appendix XII, paragraph 1.C of the Vehicle Regulations, it is obligatory to carry: “A complete spare wheel or a wheel for temporary use, with the tools necessary for changing wheels, or an alternative system for its replacement which offers sufficient guarantees for the mobility of the vehicle. In such cases one must drive with respect to the proper speed limitations of any alternative.”

As a result of which you may, if you wish, substitute your spare wheel for an alternative system, as long as it is officially approved and suitable for your vehicle.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I would not be without a spare wheel but I see that some manufacturers charge extra.

In 2011 I had a front tyre blow out on a French motorway. It had 5 holes I could put my hand through, so a bottle of goo I carried was useless.

A BMW car with so-called "run flat" tyres who ran over the same debris and stopped near us was also in big trouble.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Found this page .. which is relevant and quite interesting
Broken Link Removed

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Our Knaus (bought new last year) came with the "tyre repair kit" but I soon had an underslung spare wheel carrier complete with wheel fitted!

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I have had a few punctures in my time. Three of which were a complete blowout which destroyed the tire. The last one was coming back through Morocco. I would always carry a spare wheel/tire

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I have had a few punctures in my time. Three of which were a complete blowout which destroyed the tire. The last one was coming back through Morocco. I would always carry a spare wheel/tire

certainly morocco can be hard on tyres . just sharing the road with others can entail driving in the rough. but going up the tracks etc all rough stuff . driving through some of the sandy parts you get desert thorns puncturing tyres . very slow leaks usually . i did find the push in tyre sticks helpfull or even oko green slime before you go worked for me .
tyres can be expensive there . i definately wouldnt go there with out a spare wheel and tyre plus some oko .

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
No spare with ours and no room to fit one. As a lot of cars now come without one I hope they are geared up to deal with it if the breakdown lot are required. As we have Ford breakdown cover and Ford supplied the base I would have thought they can't complain too much!!

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
We have a full size spare with ours from new. I regularly see cars awaiting recovery as the 'repair in a can' has failed to do its job imo because it's a stupid idea that can only work in rare cases.
The gas system was not such a great idea as only two 6kg cylinders would fit in the small box with a small door so I had an underslung tank fitted by Autogas 2000 to make it far more convenient (and cheap gas).

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Touring in a vehicle weighing as much as a motor home and not carrying a spare is for the brain dead I'm afraid. I'm also very aware of the weight issue but come on let's be realistic here. What are the chances of a tyre surviving on a motor home if you need to travel a few yards with a puncture for safety. I'd rather leave the wife at home than my spare wheel.
That comment is going to cost me dearly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back