Do you go out your way to help fellow campers? (1 Viewer)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I have offered my assistance on many occasion, from pumping up to teenage girls air bed to putting up an awning for an elderly couple. On one occasion I asked another motorhomer in an itailian van who had a dozen cans of beer sitting if he'd need a hand with them, turns out he was welsh and didn't need a hand :) Have help each other on a few occasions since .

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
On our recent stay in St Athens a couple pulled up on the pitch behind us :)

I asked if they needed any help putting up their tent and they said no, so I offered to make them a brew, which they gratefully accepted :)

The next day I caught the lazy blighter driving his car from his pitch, right across mine, inches from the motorhome and straight across my power lead, which isn't armoured and could easily overheat through squashed wires inside, which actually only saved him 30 seconds of his time, as the track was right by his tent :swear:

Be calm PP Bear, be calm, only to find him doing the same on return!!! :madder:

Result was 4 nice squished areas on my power lead where his wheels drove over it :Eeek:

So what to do at this point? He looked like he was one of those bible bashing types, with a huge mop of grey Michael Jackson style hair, grey socks and sandals, kind face, Harry Potter glasses, but totally thoughtless (non of this is meant to taken as derogative as it's not meant to be that way), but what to do :boxing:

Di said to leave it as it's holiday tim
e and the guys just totally thoughtless, so I put up a windbreak to stop his inconsiderate actions and changed the cable :getmecoat::groan:

Won't stop me asking or helping again though :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we have made life long friends by helping others out. the wife knows that if she cant see me about immediately, then i am likely helping somebody else.

likewise we get offers of help when it looks like we need it, even offers and requests to walk the dogs

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I have offered my assistance on many occasion, from pumping up to teenage girls air bed to putting up an awning for an elderly couple. On one occasion I asked another motorhomer in an itailian van who had a dozen cans of beer sitting if he'd need a hand with them, turns out he was welsh and didn't need a hand :) Have help each other on a few occasions since .[/QUOTE

Gerry, we've had our van a year now........but we still haven't got round to putting the awning up:blusher: So, now we know who to come to for help::bigsmile:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Away from camping i was working in Deptford , south London last year when i noticed an old fella at a house down the road making gestures to neighbours and all were ignoring him.The following day i saw him again as i walked past his ground floor flat and asked if he was ok. In a very shallow Irish voice he asked if i could get his motorbility scooter out of the hallway for him which entailed putting into place a rickety old wooden ramp to get it over the threshold. I soon learnt why everybody avoided him ( most being young city bods with their noses in the air) . It was because he smelt strongly of dried urine and so did the seat of his scooter. I got his scooter out and told him to get our attention on his jaunt from Deptford market where he said he was going. In the 6 weeks i was there i often looked out for him and rushed down the ladder to get his scooter out for him and it became routine. We never really spoke, just hello and thank you . I couldn't help but wonder why he smelt so bad as he had a home help until i timed how long she spent with him. Three minutes was the answer. I spoke with a couple of neighbours who kept an eye out for him when they could and we managed to get the so called carer the boot and another much more attentive person to take care of him. It was a shame to leave that job and often wondered who was going to get him out as often as we did. A fortnight ago i started another loft conversion directly opposite his house and from day one looked out for him but no show . I asked one of the ladies that kept an eye out for him if he was still there or was he in a nursing home only for her to say he had passed away. It was truly upsetting and i couldn't help but think that his surrounding neighbours should be ashamed of themselves for not helping that man in previous months. He apparently came over from Ireland in the 60s and never married so died all alone. Where has the community spirit gone?

Sorry i forgot to add that i love to watch people struggle with their awnings.

Nov 21, 2011
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 400
Exp
7 years
We went to Cornwall a few years back. The weather turned really bad, I had one eye on the weather forecast, decided to take my Fiamma Safari room down when the wind got up a little bit,Never used it since actually.The wind got really bad and had a knock on the van fellow campers were getting together and helping each other to take awnings down.Put my hi viz on and helped out. After about an hr we had collectively taken down all the awnings that were in any danger. A poor chap who had a trailer tent had his outfit wrecked and we took in his kids for the rest of the night.He left the next day as it was irreparable.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I think the answer is in the question - it was dark and they needed torches. Everyone else was tucked up in bed or into the second bottle. I would help someone if they looked like they needed it but do you really need to put up an awning in the dark? Why not wait until the next day?
Because my mother is an old fuddy duddy, and even though the place was free she always looks to get value for money so 1 more night of an awning up .....

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I will always offer to help... But I'd have to agree with devonbeekeeper on this...
(I'd probably still have helped)

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Because my mother is an old fuddy duddy, and even though the place was free she always looks to get value for money so 1 more night of an awning up .....

Ok now I get it. You decided to put up your awning in the dark because you wanted to, not because you needed to. It was an emotional rather than rational decision. If I had been a camper observing you that night I would certainly have helped by advising you to wait until morning. I would not have been so keen to assist you in an enterprise many would consider daft, with such an easy solution at hand. Apparently this opinion was shared by those around you.

Having to put up a tent in the rain is a different category of necessity, and is not comparable. Maybe you're right, and people aren't as helpful as they might be, but you must consider how your actions might have influenced the end result.

Last edited:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
snip/
So what to do at this point? He looked like he was one of those bible bashing types, with a huge mop of grey Michael Jackson style hair, grey socks and sandals, kind face, Harry Potter glasses, but totally thoughtless (non of this is meant to taken as derogative as it's not meant to be that way), but what to do :boxing:

You'd have done him a favour if you'd said something about:cry: that :cry:PP. Tenters you couldn't etc etc...........:D

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Last week the tuggers opposite left their washing out when it started to rain. I had no hesitation in opening (and later, closing) their awning, folding their chairs and table up and placing them inside, along with their clothing. They were suitably grateful.

In Scotland we felt sorry for a French couple with 3 children who arrived as it was getting dark. They had driven from home (!!!) and were very tired. They had "equipped themselves" for the UK by purchasing a 3-pin adapter into which they could place their 2-pin plug. It never occurred to them that domestic electrics might be different to camping ones. :LOL: So I totally rewired my "euro adapter" and they were able to connect to the supply. It cost me over £5 to replace it, but, as my old boss used to say when he didn't give me a bonus "you'll get your reward in heaven".

There was a good film about helping people called "Pay it Forward" (Kevin Spacey, Helen Hunt) and it is certainly the way we should all live IMO - Gordon

Aug 23, 2012
Corton, Lowestoft
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
10 years m/h, plus 15 years caravan......
I was camping at a dog show last w/e, pitched up & realised my offside was too far from the hedge, so I thought I would move it closer. I duly moved my freestanding step from the van, but not far enough, I was reversing & caught the step & crunched it, there was a couple, in a caravan watching me & did not think to let me know I was heading for my step.
Mind you, caravaners & not motorhomers I might add. Did try a repair with wood, but really need something stronger as the wood snapped first time out.
I was not a happy bunny knowing that they could have shouted / waved their arms warning me & thus not having to maybe replace the step.

Rant over...........

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Last week the tuggers opposite left their washing out when it started to rain. I had no hesitation in opening (and later, closing) their awning, folding their chairs and table up and placing them inside, along with their clothing. They were suitably grateful.

In Scotland we felt sorry for a French couple with 3 children who arrived as it was getting dark. They had driven from home (!!!) and were very tired. They had "equipped themselves" for the UK by purchasing a 3-pin adapter into which they could place their 2-pin plug. It never occurred to them that domestic electrics might be different to camping ones. :LOL: So I totally rewired my "euro adapter" and they were able to connect to the supply. It cost me over £5 to replace it, but, as my old boss used to say when he didn't give me a bonus "you'll get your reward in heaven".

There was a good film about helping people called "Pay it Forward" (Kevin Spacey, Helen Hunt) and it is certainly the way we should all live IMO - Gordon
Rapido925M
Smiley-says-thanks (1).jpg

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I actually enjoy helping people in general... not just "campers".

It is a selfish act when I help someone though.

It makes me feel happy if I can help someone so I am doing it for my own good.

JJ :cool:

PS. "Pay It Forward" is one of my favourite films.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I loaned a lady a pair of my glasses. Well 2 actually one for her hubby as well as they had both forgotten their reading glasses.
They drove off the next morning early without giving them back.
I will offer my help to anyone but Terry doesn't like to get involved as he has a bad back which isn't obvious to everyone so doesn't feel he could help much anyway.
He did put next door airer under our awning 2 weeks ago while they were out in a downpour.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
When the boys were small we went to a site we had a very big frame tent that we ha borrowed.
The site was full we were next to what looked like a very big family.
They were having a ball several of them siting watching us struggle with three small children and a very big frame tent.
Well two hrs. later we had the tent up sorted out the living and sleeping aria.
abut five minutes after we had it all sorted there was a sarky comment it's not up right.
looked ok to me but.
any way I went and had a look it was wonky
didn't look right.
Thar then came a comment we used to have one like it and no test the mistake as soon as you put up the frame he he with a snigger.
We ripped it down put it back up and set camp agene
much to te delight of the on looking campers.
well there friend's all bugerd off a few days later and they were left by there shelf.
with no transport
we were in the middle of no where gleendevon
Perthshire.
abut a few days later I was going to sterling for some shopping.
when he came over he had over herd me saying we were of to at that time prestos I think.
and asked for a lift to the bank.
I pointed at the bus stop and sede you will get there but don't think you will get a bus back today.
He walked away with a face like a slapped bum.
That night it rained very heavy and the bit where they were camped filed with raine water abut 6"to 8" deep
my comment in the morning when they were standing like drowned rat's was I no test you were in the bit that usually floods he he
pay back
PS in answer to OP yes always if they want help

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I guess one should always lend a hand when it's really needed. And that's the point - when it's really needed. But what is the definition of "really needed". I've spent a lot of time wildcamping far from civilisation where being incompetent, unprepared or foolish isn't simply an inconvenience, it can get you killed. It's difficult to adjust to the idea that, for instance, running low on milk is a disaster that a neighbour should be expected to solve or putting up an awning at night is too important to wait.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Although not on a campsite had a funny/sad experience helping somebody . As i drove into our home drive in the rain there was a lady standing there with no clothes on, i got out of the car and realised she was very confused but i was loath to touch her or to usher her inside as i was worried my actions might be misconstrued so i rushed indoors to find Sandra on the phone to a friend , I blurted out "help me i,ve got a naked lady i dont know what to with her " . We managed to get her indoors and put a coat on but we couldn,t get much sense out of her ,after drying her off and warming her up we managed to get her in the car and drove up our street to find a front door wide open , i could see people looking out the windows both sides so knocked on the doors the first would not answer , the second said she did live next door but didn,t want anything to do with her . How sad but anyway to finish the story we got her dressed indoors called a relative and off we went.
Every Monday i now serve her at my post office she is perfectly normal but does not realise i am the man who found her naked and of course being a gentleman i keep her modesty secret..

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
I loaned a lady a pair of my glasses. Well 2 actually one for her hubby as well as they had both forgotten their reading glasses.
They drove off the next morning early without giving them back.
I will offer my help to anyone but Terry doesn't like to get involved as he has a bad back which isn't obvious to everyone so doesn't feel he could help much anyway.
He did put next door airer under our awning 2 weeks ago while they were out in a downpour.

Just because he has a bad back doesnt prevent him from helping as you have clearly indicated.

He could have decided not to bother. WTG terry just because lots of us have some sort of problem or disability doesnt prevent us doing a good deed somewhere along the line - and they dont have to be physical deeds either.

For some a smile when they are feeling really down is greatly appreciated.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I recall once we stopped for lunch in a large remote rest area where there were a few other travellers. A young couple in a rental arrived a while later and and parked in a sandy spot near us which we had purposely avoided. They then found they were stuck in soft sand. A guy in a campervan advised them to collect sticks to put under the wheels and the girl proceeded to do that in front of our van. I was relaxing across the front seats and every so often she would look up from her labours and glare at me and I would smile sweetly back at her.

Unfortunately about 15 minutes before they arrived I had twisted my knee and couldn't stand let alone give her a hand. I did offer her lots of smiles but it didn't seem to help.

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
I do tend to help lots of people not just campers. BUT sometimes and only sometimes I may may not be in any condition to help them straightaway due to laughing so much.
I have pegged down awnings, offered refreshments, let walkers use our washing line to dry clothes etc etc

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I watched a young couple having a real struggle putting up their tiny (and I mean tiny) tent recently. It was funny.

I didn't offer to help because I was as clueless as them.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
I'm with the love to see Awning strugglers club.:clap2::clap2:

Wine glass in hand. :wine::imoutahere:

But yes I will help others if I think they aren't taking the P:Eeek: