Do you get more mpg with or without cruise control? (1 Viewer)

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Thank you all for your input, it appears from replys that cruise control helps in other ways rather than saving fuel.
I realise that some people are not interested in the savings but just to let you know, I set the cc on 58mph and then after 70 miles turned it off and increased the speed by 5mph ( as near as I could)and got 13percent more MPG on manual for the next 90 miles, maybe not a scientific test ( although more useful than the EU test for new vehicles)
Anyway thanks again.
Etap

The flaw in your test is that you changed cruising speed when you switched to manual driving. For a better comparison you need to do it over much larger distance and cruise at the same speed with and without the CC.

The real answer to this question is how economical a driver you are: someone who is very lightfooted on the go pedal will almost certainly get better fuel consumption driving manually. Many drivers are not good at economy driving though and for those CC will almost certainly improve their average fuel consumption figures. We never sell CC on the basis of fuel savings, we always highlight the driver comfort and speed limit benefits.

D.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Im a fan of CC, had it for years, would always fit it.

Minor changes in MPG are irrelevant for most MH's, the only exception is if you do mega miles.

If you calculate how much extra you would spend on fuel if your MH did another 5 mpg ( a huge improvement) its not very much, and certainly less in most cases than depreciation or maintenance.

Taking fuel at £1.10/litre

5000 miles at 25mpg = 910 litres = £1001
5000 miles at 30mpg = 758 litres = £834 so £167 saved ( a couple of chairs)

at 10000 miles its £334

Its an even smaller saving when your in france, Spain etc because the fuel is even cheaper.

Think the mileage is too small, have a look at your last MOts, We re doing 2 long trips a year plus incidentals on about 8k.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Worse with as it always floors the throttle when you get to a hill, but I don't care spent thousands on a new van no point in worrying about a few quid on fuel.
Works much better with an Auto box, I use it all the time, nice thing about the Fiat one is it works down to 30 kpm which is great for 30 kpm & 20 mph speed limits.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I normally touch the throttle a bit while going down hill to take it above the cruise setting then ease off and let the cruise take over half way up the hill. Makes for a much better and more economical ride.(y)

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
My personal experience is it saves fuel, and is certainly more relaxing. On an auto box like my Honda or former RVs, I use it all the time, until an incline, then I knock it off and 'drive' uphill, resuming when I am on the roll again. I think it's the best thing on a vehicle.

Craig

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
My view is that my Autocruise is far more economical when set for cruise control. Last week in a run from the west country to Sheffield and back gave me a return of 35mph. Likewise when l drive my car l watch the petrol use very closely and definitely get a greater return on cruise control

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My view is that my Autocruise is far more economical when set for cruise control. Last week in a run from the west country to Sheffield and back gave me a return of 35mph. Likewise when l drive my car l watch the petrol use very closely and definitely get a greater return on cruise control
On the flat you are possibly right but add hills or head winds and the CC mpg doesn't stand a chance.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We have CC on some of our Landies. They are all manual . As with all things it depends on so much i.e. Wind, weather, traffic, driver, preferred speed etc. to try and get an accurate average for a vehicle is nigh on impossible IHO. I do know that if I set the CC on my Defender at 56mph and stay with the lorries I get about 2 mpg better than I do at 60mph.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have noticed differences with how the cruise control fitted by different manufacturers work so what base vehicle you have will also have an influence on consumption. The cruise control fitted in the Chausson Flash 04 based on a Ford use to hold the speed both uphill and down hill, thus increasing the revs upwards an using engine braking on the downwards slope which, if you think about it, is a good thing as you don't run the risk of exceeding the speed limit as you go down hill which in our experience is where you tend to see some speed cameras! Our last 2 PVCs have been on the Fiat base and the cruise doesn't keep the speed quite so well going up hill so it drops off a bit and when going down it doesn't stop it speeding up (ie no apparent engine braking) so you have to be careful not to exceed the speed limit. Hubby much preferred the Ford cruise.

Queenzlander

Free Member
Apr 14, 2013
goldcoast australia
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Definitely worse mpg with cruise control. We have a 2014 Vantage Neo PVC and have travelled almost 16000 miles from Leeds to Southhampton then on to North America Halifax to Los Angles strip taking 7 months. The Fiat Ducato is 2.3L. 150 with a performance chip giving 177 ps. With Automatic gearbox. We were averaging 31.7 mpg, using cruise control that drop to 28mpg. All most no city driving and on open roads at approximately 55 to 60 miles an hour.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back