Do you get cross with a post sometimes (1 Viewer)

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I have learnt quite a lot of things from forums, but the thing that stuck in my mind was getting cross about posts on another forum and taking a dislike to the poster, only to find ( and i am quite embarrassed about this and still feel guilty) the poster was not in good health was going through a terrible time and was very sharp with others because of this.

I had formed some sort of picture of a person and taken a dislike to them based on the things I read,I knew at this time nothing of the constant pain they were in or all the things they were going through I only found this out later on.

I wonder if its just me or if you all are wiser than I have been in the past?Its sometimes too easy on these places to form an opinion based purely on the written world and your interpretation what the poster is trying to say, some forums are famous for the spats I am pretty sure they would not happen if it was face to face.

You are all going to hate me now I have told you this I just know it:ROFLMAO:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You're not human if you don't form opinions based on the interactions you have with people. It's normal and natural. As is being wrong occasionally :winky:

I will admit I have formed opinions of people on here. However if/when I meet them I don't link the forum persona with the real person at the first time I meet them. To be honest I still struggle to remember the real name/forum name of people I have met many times over many years :ROFLMAO:

It's possible I that I am not impressed with someone on here but get on really well with them in real life and visa versa:Doh:::bigsmile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You'd be surpised how many times I get asked in the morning to delete messages made late in the night while under the influence ::bigsmile: We can never really know peoples state of mind when they post. Though I'm cetain some start drinking early:ROFLMAO:

I might get wound up when posts break one of the few rules we have, but only if its blatant. Otherwise posts don't anger me at all, I enjoy immensely the differing opinions people hold on a diverse range of subjects, from politics to A frames, the more different to my own views the more interesting the debate.

Mostly Funsters are great at not getting personal (rule 1) which allows threads to continue to a conclusion rather than end with handbags:Smile: Life really is too short to get upset by a few words on a screen, forums are not real life.

On a forum me and Scotjimland could argue our political differences all day, in real life in meeting Jim, we have never talked politics, in fact, at rallies and meets I have never seen politics or religion discussed by funsters in real life - lifes too short for that too.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
I wonder if the real real real real person is the one you see on line or the one you meet in reality :whatthe:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
clipped...... in fact, at rallies and meets I have never seen politics or religion discussed by funsters in real life - lifes too short for that too.:Smile:
No, because we're all to busy having FUN, be it liquefied or not. :ROFLMAO:

Cheers,

Jock.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
in the flesh functor are even better

In the flesh I find functors to be better.

I have a job remembering most of there avatar names... but I do find 99% of the time the people I meet are great. Made lots of friends on MHF and it is great when you get to see them year after year.

Bob

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think a lot of people have a persona in the cyber world that is quite different from real life.. Some people find it difficult interacting face to face, on line they find a new freedom, liberated from their inhibitions and shyness. Others use it as a way of reinventing themselves.

I've only met a few Funsters face to face.. most are as I would have expected, but some are quite different from their cyber persona ..

When we meet people face to face, it is reckoned that within 30sec our subconscious has made up it's mind whether we like them or not.. That's why the first 30sec of a job interview are so important.. first impressions count .. and you only get one go at it.

Not so on line.. it's much harder for our sub concious to get a handle on someone , so we make judgements based solely on what they write... and that's easily misinterpreted, leading to judgements that are quite wrong.. some very wrong.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I get annoyed every now and again but it soon wears off. Surprisingly I don't hold grudges either.

However, there's always the exception that proves the rule. I hadn't taken part in Internet forums of any description when I joined Fun. I think it was the first post that I ever made and it was about tyres.

I was immediately jumped on by some loon who really needed a good smack. Another guy jumped in and between the two of them they killed me.

I was amazed because as said this was my first time on any forum. Over time I've learnt.

I have remembered the nutter who had a go at me in the first place and he is still on the forum. He doesn't say much now and I suspect he's on RVOC more than here.

I said at the time that we would meet up and we will.

Jim

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
yes some posts make me quite cross.

that's why I always go to meets fully armed, Ive managed to waste about 7 funsters so far when in the dead of night, I enter there Vans whilst they are comatosed and fart several times.

You may well of seen the posts from these people, they start by saying that they were gassed.

Ive met too many Funsters to worry about it, anyone who holds a grudge about something said on a forum ain't really worth knowing. Unless its a personal attack, and we don't get many of them. I have however avoided people at meets because I suspect they are not the sort of person I would want anything to do with any way.
I did have someone come up to me and tell me they did not like my postings, to which I replied, neither did I :roflmto:

My biggest learnt lesson was Brian Hilldweller, when reading his posts in the early days I thought he must be really horrible. However on meeting him and Dinah proved to be one of the nicest people on the forum.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
:roflmto:I used to indulge in verbal swordplay on others forums, but to be honest, as in real life, it takes a special group of mates who can slate each other all day without getting arsey, and you dont make those mates in cyberspace.

I really have a laugh on here, but , the discussion is always good, and genarally people dont make me get in touch with "the dark side", so its an enjoyable experience. the way I book it, the more times I,m wrong, or the more people have an opposing view, the more I learn...and that's a buzz::bigsmile:

In a club I was in a while back, we had a rule, that people had to go to three "meets" before they were allowed to join a "big trip", this is because experience taught us thet you dont really get to know people online.......and the last place you want to find out someones a complete arsehole, is three days into a holiday::bigsmile:, it kinda cuts down on the vilolence a bit:ROFLMAO:

I treat this forum as an intriduction, it takes a little courage for me to meet new people, so this breaks the ice.......hopefully, our first meet at Newark, will be the first of many.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
I hope I am the same in real life as in the cyber life
wysiwyg any serious discussion there's me looking for the laugh

Life is to short to get wound up with letters on a screen

Found that out few years held a grudge against one fella
Only to find he had moved to the next world just after
I last spoke didn't find out for 4 years waste of a grudge
Never held another since

Someone wants to be a [STRIKE]ar[/STRIKE] grumpy let em get on with it:thumb:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
clipped.......hopefully, our first meet at Newark, will be the first of many.
We certainly hope your first meet will be the first of many too. See you there. :thumb:

Best regards,

Jock & Rita.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Yes, I do get annoyed with posts/replies on here and other forums:Angry:

I sometimes wonder why some people need to be rude, but the majority of people on forums are ok and good-natured, but there's always one or two, but that's life in general I suppose:RollEyes:

I don't see the point in leaving rude comments and it puzzles me as to how some can be so childish as well, but that tells you something about the person, doesn't it:Angry:

If you don't agree with someone's post then "healthy debate" is fine, but why be rude?

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well I was hoist with my own petard when I was just 17 years old. I worked in an insurance company, our office was on the first floor. Used to regularly speak to people at the Abbey National BS, opposite. Two lads about 18. One dead Brunmmie, the other didn't have a Brummie accent at all, thought he sounded quite posh.

Anyway seeing it was about lunchtime one day, one of em said come to the widow, we'll go to the window and wave. So we did. One was the picture of gorgeousness with blond hair, looked very Mod, which was Very Important. The other had dark hair, Brylcreemed and combed back. Quiff. Oh dear, obviously has Rocker tendencies.

Anyway the Brummie one asked my out and I thought, No Way, Rocker man. So I politely declined.

A week later someone else in the office was talking to a lady who worked there and the subject came up in conversation. She was gobsmacked actually - told my colleague she was really surprised at that 'cos Rob is gorgeous! they all fight over him here, so I'm surprised Jen didn't accept really' - so colleague said Which one is he? - 'the blond, good looking one' ......

:ROFLMAO:

For all I know to this day, he could have been a prize pillock in real life - but I denied myself the chance to find out and it does tell you - you should never judge a book by it's cover!

And what are posts on a forum? Nowt but the cover of the book .....

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Got totally wasted by a regular on one non MH forum for being a newbie and actually suggesting that what he said might not have been totally correct (in fact it was utter tosh.....) - all the other regulars then joined in for a bit of amusement. Very hard not to take that sort of thing personally but simply ignored it. At the end of the day I'm still right and he's still wrong but life simply moves on......

Quite a few posts on here are certainly in the annoying category for various reasons, whether it is the opinion held or simply the sloppy way that it is written, but an opinion is just that, and if we were all the same then it would be an utterly boring world, so vive la difference!!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I get annoyed every now and again but it soon wears off. Surprisingly I don't hold grudges either.

However, there's always the exception that proves the rule. I hadn't taken part in Internet forums of any description when I joined Fun. I think it was the first post that I ever made and it was about tyres.

I was immediately jumped on by some loon who really needed a good smack. Another guy jumped in and between the two of them they killed me.

I was amazed because as said this was my first time on any forum. Over time I've learnt.

I have remembered the nutter who had a go at me in the first place and he is still on the forum. He doesn't say much now and I suspect he's on RVOC more than here.

I said at the time that we would meet up and we will.

Jim

I had to look Broken Link Removed up. ::bigsmile: Yes you can see it was your first time on a forum. Start telling people to grow up and they'll bite back. Though they hardly 'killed' you:RollEyes: Just a bit of banter and you appeared to take it a little too serious, we've all been there. Seems like your still mad years down the line:ROFLMAO: I guess your Madbluemad user name fits then Jim ::bigsmile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
On this forum, in cyberspace, I must come across as a self-centred, miserable, prejudiced, opinionated old git but please, please, please don't be fooled by this internet image...

In the real world I am exactly the same...:thumb:

JJ :Cool:

Madmark62

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Lesharo
Exp
I`m a newbie
On this forum, in cyberspace, I must come across as a self-centred, miserable, prejudiced, opinionated old git but please, please, please don't be fooled by this internet image...

In the real world I am exactly the same...:thumb:

JJ :Cool:

Are you sure you are not me ???:winky::winky:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
No, because we're all to busy having FUN, be it liquefied or not. :ROFLMAO:

Cheers,

Jock.
Ha U2, Nice to see a exFireman on the post oops, or shall i say ex firefighter, dont want to get up setting others, iam also an retirey of 32yrs service, in the WMFS, and Kent, and still miss the conradeship and proffession,have it good, Cheers Alf&M.:thumb:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Ha U2, Nice to see a exFireman on the post oops, or shall i say ex firefighter, dont want to get up setting others, iam also an retirey of 32yrs service, in the WMFS, and Kent, and still miss the conradeship and proffession,have it good, Cheers Alf&M.:thumb:
Hi Alf&M, too much politics in the job these days. :Sad:

Hope to meet up and share a beer with you on a meet or rally some time soon. :thumb: I've been known to carry the odd beer or two in the MH. :ROFLMAO:

All the best,

Jock.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Hi Alf&M, too much politics in the job these days. :Sad:

Hope to meet up and share a beer with you on a meet or rally some time soon. :thumb: I've been known to carry the odd beer or two in the MH. :ROFLMAO:

All the best,

Jock.
Like wise we both enjoy the odd run ashore, perhaps we can meet up or if your on ya travels up here in sweden your have to pop in, there's plenty of room for a hook up, Cheers Alf & M:thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I had to look Broken Link Removed up. ::bigsmile: Yes you can see it was your first time on a forum. Start telling people to grow up and they'll bite back. Though they hardly 'killed' you:RollEyes: Just a bit of banter and you appeared to take it a little too serious, we've all been there. Seems like your still mad years down the line:ROFLMAO: I guess your Madbluemad user name fits then Jim ::bigsmile:

I tried to find that thread and couldn't. Its a few years ago now but there is absolutely no doubt that the guy who had a pop at me was well out of order. Particularly as it was my first time on any forum of any sort. If you still have that post on the server you will know the guy's name.

If I remember correctly I asked a question about tyres. Almost immediately I realised that I knew the answer and asked that the "moderator" remove my question/post so that it didn't waste other peoples time and forum space.

I did this because I thought that that was the forum protocol. Obviously that's not the way it works.

Had the individual and his lackey replied to me by advising me of the correct protocol then that would have been helpful. But, he nor his lackey wanted to do that, both of them wanted to criticise me for being stupid and if there's one thing I'm not, I'm not stupid.

I personally don't take kindly to perfect strangers attacking me. If the same situation were to arise today It wouldn't particularly bother me as I've learnt that the internet is full of people who should have been drowned at birth.

As far as my user name is concerned you totally mis-interprate the reason behind my use of that user name.
Jim
:Smile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The link to the thread is in my post, still don't see/understand what you got so mad about. ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back