Do you feel priveleged to have a MH? (1 Viewer)

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
I work hard to be able to afford the opportunity of owning a MH, I choose not to spend my money on certain other outlets, to be able to afford to both run, tax and insure said MH.

S'funny, the folk who tend to think I'm lucky to be able to run it, are, in the main either smokers, or drinkers. (Note, NOT a dig at either..........more an indication on the part of those folk as to how I can afford said MH, as I neither smoke or drink.......((cept on a rally field amoungst friends)) ) :whistle:

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Definitely I do feel privileged.( Though some wouldn't think so when they see my ancient little sardine tin.) Yes we've all worked hard, but when I see a homeless person, I know it could be due to dreadful life events and I can't help thinking what my cosy little sardine can would mean to them. To have somewhere to live and a little, snug, mobile, holiday home. How lucky is that?

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We
Feel great that we can go anywhere at the drop of a hat taking all your belongings With you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Yes, but i do feel a little guilty sometimes----

We have x2 small kids and when younger, local parents find out that we have about 30 small camping holiday trips per year .
I wish i could hide away.

Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
Absolutely agree with Don Quixote. But also agree with a few others. Worked bloody hard all our lives for the things we have. Retirement is OUR time. Kids gone (hard work bringing up & costly). No Regrets.

Steveth

Free Member
Mar 29, 2014
Wherever We Are Parked
Funster No
MH
Swift Esprit462 (Freddie)
Exp
Since 2014
Priviledged - No. We worked hard all our lives, raised 2 kids, helped them financially to own their own homes and now feel it is "our time" to grow old disgracefully. We have only owned Freddie for 2 months and have already been to places we have never heard of and met some lovely people we would not otherwise meet. We see it more as a personal reward for all the sacrifices we have made to get where we are today.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Not sure about privileged, I worked 50 years and more for it! Glad I have it though. (y)
I'm 63, been working since I was 12, so I don't feel privileged to have a motorhome, just stupid because it took me so long to bite the bullet and buy my 2nd after a 35 year gap.
(Oh, and I'm still working to pay for it.)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I'll go along with not privileged brigade,

I've worked hard,long hours to build up my company, I have less time off than most "workers" never been sick, so not privilegd to own one at all, my money my motorhome my life.
However going back to the O/P, if it was piXXing down with rain, in a muddy field, with no food left at the foodstalls and no toilets or showers, and I was sat in my m/h I would feel rather comfortable with life.

Jackyboy61

Free Member
Jun 6, 2014
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Best thing ever bought ,should have bought one years ago but could not afford one ,(three kids and a mortgage ) but now trying to compleat the long bucket list,bring it on .

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It is always there to go where I please and when I please , yes I do feel privileged , many people do not even have a roof over their heads let alone a motorhome , I have both , now I'm feeling a tad guilty :blush:

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
If the wheels are turning and the sun is shining, I am a very happy person on the way to new sights/sites and meeting lots of interesting people and exploring places. Summer is spoilt only by school holidays and the piratical increase in prices for everything concerning MHing - so it is "trapped at home time". Privileged? Not bloody likely; worked hard to be "privileged"!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
privileged; in respect that I appear to have been born at a good time (baby boomer), worked hard all my life, made good choices in life, been lucky with most things and generally been quite satisfied with my lot.

I agree, born 44 missed the war, loved the sixties , seventies etc, a great time to live and so thankful (y)

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I would also go along with "not privileged"
However I do feel so for having parents that insisted I got qualifications that allowed me to continue their business and taught me to work hard enabling me to afford a motorhome.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Privileged yes.

Occasionally I feel a little embarrassed too. Some other site users seem to put you into a certain pigeon hole.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Not privileged, Ralph worked dam hard to pay for ours. We saved up and traded in our caravan.
Don't do chucky, though I think some of the older end presume as your younger. You must be financed up to the hilt. With cars mortgages and motorhomes.........
Best thing we ever did. We love our Motorhome. To bits.
If we weren't going to downsize to a panel van ( once he's built it ) we'd have kept it till we ran it into the ground. Especially if the kids were younger and still came with us. We love having a Motorhome. So much easier than a caravan. Lucky? Privileged ? No , earned.

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
We regularly say to ourselves "aren't we lucky", but like others we have worked bloody hard for it.
We always said we would do it as soon as we could and we would not change it for anything.
Its an enviable lifestyle as soon as you can do it.
Privelige earned.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Privileged? If a motorhome was a gift that few people were allowed to have then yes. Otherwise it's simply an individual choice of discretionary consumption, like a holiday home or a yacht.

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We let our son and his partner use ours and I would think they are 'privileged'. Because we love it so much we get a real kick out of their enjoyment when they take it away. We often end up visiting a lot of the areas they have discovered.

Rob

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Not privileged, Ralph worked dam hard to pay for ours. We saved up and traded in our caravan.
Don't do chucky, though I think some of the older end presume as your younger. You must be financed up to the hilt. With cars mortgages and motorhomes.........
Best thing we ever did. We love our Motorhome. To bits.
If we weren't going to downsize to a panel van ( once he's built it ) we'd have kept it till we ran it into the ground. Especially if the kids were younger and still came with us. We love having a Motorhome. So much easier than a caravan. Lucky? Privileged ? No , earned.
Ralph & Bev,
We experienced the same perception from older folks a while back. On the CC site at Skeggy, a chap in a group of pensioners asked "How the bl##dy hell can someone as young as you two, afford a MH like that?"

Like others, Rita and I consider oursleves to be lucky perhaps, but certainly not privileged. At one time I was working 8 x days a week, ie, 4 x shifts for one employer and 4 x shifts for another, missing out on all sorts of family events and daughter's school activities, etc. We really struggled as the wages weren't great then, (less than I was paid in the RAF) but came through in the end, and are now reaping the benefits of that hard work.

Regards,

Jock.

kglblue

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
St.Agnes Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
6 years
I agree with all comments, I feel privileged because though my wife and I are retired we have good pensions and enough dosh to buy and run a Motorhome.
But, as with other comments, people tell us how "lucky" we are, all it took was 80 years of work between us! Plus a lot of saving to buy our first Motorhome.
We did 3 months touring France, Belgium, Luxemberg and the Netherlands earlier this year. Staying on ACSI campsites or Aires, in September we are off for a 2 month tour of Germany.
Privileged yes, lucky no, you make your own luck. We had good jobs, because we had good educations paid for by the State, sadly this is no longer the case and if you are working class you are much less likely to go to uni. I suppose our luck was to have been born at the right time.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I've found all the replies interesting. Looks like we all worked hard to get where we have.

I think I am lucky because I see people who worked just as hard as I have who didn't have any better lifestyle that I did lose their money for various reasons. I have always been very cautious, never wanted to "make a killing" but happy to work hard and invest money safely knowing the capital was safe and foregoing both potential risk and gain.

I worked through my university course, did a milk delivery round, went home to change and then on to lectures. In bed by 9 every night and up at 4..... not many students did that and many thought I was crazy not to go out and party but the student parties never held any glamour for me, quite frankly I found them boring. As a result I was able to put a decent deposit down on a house when I was 21. Then I traded that house for a bigger house that needed work and continued that trend - working on property and holding down a full time job and raising a family. All the children (now adults) know that you have to work to get on in life. They were also used to living on building sites and have good practical DIY skills and an appreciation of their own limitations.

I have had to retire younger than I expected but with the investment strategy and very good financial advice and planning that has not been a bad thing. I am trying to persuade my husband to retire in April when my next set of investments matures.

We are also thinking of selling our big house and moving to an easier-to-manage smaller place now rather than later. So this winter is a big de-clutter and then have a valuation ready for going to market in the spring. By that time the uncertainty of the referendum should be over and maybe the local house market will improve. We don't have to sell this house so can market it for 6 months and if it doesn't sell we can wait a while. Another reason for making the move now rather than when it becomes urgent to do so. We are still young enough to buy a wreck and have it refurbished and are not tied down to place as we have family in Hartlepool, Manchester and Glasgow!

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Fortunate I would say, also on occasions ripped off by the "leisure industry".
Love it all the same though (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back