Do you drive around in your van when you are away? (1 Viewer)

Ja63

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero Black Ed
Exp
None except for one weeks hire
We are about to set off on our second trip in our new motorhome....2 nights in Llanidloes at a riverside park

Apparently it is a 20 minute walk into the town which we will do (although we may need to get a taxi back as we are taking our two dogs and one of them is a rescued old dog who has pretty mangled feet from living in a cage for years...so she can't walk very far).

Generally though, wherever we go, we will probably prefer to use the motorhome as transport to go offsite returning to the site each afternoon/evening.

So, 2 questions...firstly, does anyone else do this or is it a pain having to pack everything away each day and then set it all back up on return. Secondly, should we/can we reserve our pitch or should we just return and accept that someone else might've nicked our nice spot in our absence? The site we stayed on last time gave us a numbered pitch so presumably no-one else would set up there because they wouldn't be given that number......do all sites have numbered/allocated pitches, in which case this won't be a problem for us?

Just wondering what you all do?

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
We did a tour of Ypre town in our Hymer 564 last year, finally found a car park opposite the station.
As we locked up and walked to the pay machine we saw a sign stating that 3.5 tonne vehicles were banned from the town.
Luckily we didn't encounter a policeman (or woman, other types are available) while in the town so we beat a hasty retreat.
As we are both knocking on a bit with health issues and can't walk far we have downsized to something we can park anywhere.

Hymie.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I've found the secret is to do some research and be a little selective about your campsites. If you do stay on sites it's likely you've planned ahead anyway so try and choose sites from which you can either walk, cycle or use public transport. I know you can't do it every time but well worth the effort when you can.
Mr Google is your friend and if you do choose to take your MH into town the Mr Google can often pinpoint likely parking spots.

Upvote 0

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
If we do leave the pitch with the van, which isn't often, we attach a spare number plate to one of those squishy garden buckets (that we use for countless things) and leave it in the middle of the pitch with the hook up cable coiled beside it. It's quite good fun working out places we want to visit en route to the next stop.

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
:smiley: We were in Wales earlier this year for 7 weeks and generally only stayed a night or two as we wandered around the countryside having a wonderful holiday. We stayed longer in some areas we really liked and did a few day trips out. We have a sign to hang on our pitch if we go out for the day but also find our little drive away awning keeps it safe from interlopers :smiley: it is also useful to put things in we don't need for a day trip out. We found lots of places to park our van (it's 7mtrs) and Wales is very motorhome friendly. Taking the van out for the day to go sight seeing etc suits us down to the ground because we have everything we need to have a snack or two, feed the dogs, dry them if wet and muddy/sandy (which is nearly everytime). We use buses and walk as well but taking the van is always a more relaxing option. :smiley:

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, We do very similar to Spritelyislanders, for slightly different reasons ( due to medical problems need to be close to a toilet at all times).
but on a couple of trips to Cornwall we did hire a small car (thru CC 10% discount) so we could access some of the very narrow roads & coastal small villages.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
In France-on Aires-we stock up en-route to the next Aire and have a folding bicycle for odd trips to get milk etc. we don't take the car with us.
In UK we tow but also walk a lot, with dog, will also walk to Towns/Villages/shops.
The van usually stays on pitch!

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Have you considered alternative transport just for the dog when he gets tired or sore?
You can get bike trailers or 'push-chair' types.
Broken Link Removed
Or Google dog carriage/ dog trailer etc

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We do both, and walk and use our bikes or public transport. Always leave a sign on our pitch if we are returning to the same site.

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Don't stress about it take your van and unless your over 8 meters usually find somewhere to park no probs
Just leave your hook up cable plugged in and leave it on your pitch, never seen anyone stupid enough to unplug a lead on a pitch and park up in your space if they do they deserve a slap for being an idiot
Don't worry about it enjoy the freedom nearly all people who use sites are intelligent enough to see someone is occupying the pitch unless there Stevie wonder

Leaving your cable plugged in leaves it live which is not a good idea with rain, children, dogs and even humans to possibly electrocute!

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Just leave your hook up cable plugged in and leave it on your pitch, never seen anyone stupid enough to unplug a lead on a pitch and park up in your space if they do they deserve a slap for being an idiot
If I'm going to leave the cable out as a marker (or if I just can't be bothered to coil it up & put it back in the van while I'm out), I unplug it at the post end first & hang it over the box. That way the cable isn't live & the unplugged post end is off the ground & hanging down, so won't get water inside it if it rains.

That way it is both safe & still effective as a pitch marker.

The Caravan Club used to sell a rather twee looking sign that has 'Motorhome using this pitch' in white letters in a dark green background. I picked one up while on a club site some years ago.

The one they sell now on-line doesn't look as nice & the price seems to have gone up a bit too.

Upvote 0

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Leaving your cable plugged in leaves it live which is not a good idea with rain, children, dogs and even humans to possibly electrocute!
If I'm going to leave the cable out as a marker (or if I just can't be bothered to coil it up & put it back in the van while I'm out), I unplug it at the post end first & hang it over the box. That way the cable isn't live & the unplugged post end is off the ground & hanging down, so won't get water inside it if it rains.

The Caravan Club used to sell a rather twee looking sign that has 'Motorhome using this pitch' in white letters in a dark green background. I picked one up while on a club site some years ago.

The one they sell now on-line doesn't look as nice & the price seems to have gone up a bit too.
Just turn the breaker off, in fact by using the RCD your also checking the integrity of the supply(y)

Upvote 0

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp

Just turn the breaker off, in fact by using the RCD your also checking the integrity of the supply(y)
IP 44 rated, obviously you wouldn't leave it in a pool of water and make some effort if you think it's going to rain heavy or disconnect as suggested

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I suspect the IP rating only applies while plugged in at both ends. It relies on the overlap between plug & socket.

Fine if there is a breaker to turn off, but not every site has a user accessible breaker at the pole - certainly haven't seen many in the sites we've been on.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
The only thing I don't put away after use is the electric kettle (if we are on hook up) so moving on is easy. So our answer is that sometimes we walk, sometimes we take public transport and sometimes we take the MH (Its only just over 7 metres so does not pose the same problems that many larger vans do but I still cannot get onto a single, normal parking space.

Funnily enough, even when we were tuggers, I packed everything away after use - something that made the conversion to motorhoming very easy.

Upvote 0

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
As our van is less than 6m long and has a fixed bed it makes sense to keep things tidy. I'm far more houseproud / tidy when in the van than at home. The more space you have the more junk you collect.
Agree with you completely. We, too, can be away in just five minutes as things are put away after use and the only things likely to be outside are our chairs. Unless shops/attractions etc are a very easy walk away we ALWAYS take the van - easy to park in a car parking space.

Upvote 0

Peatmoor

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Matlock Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Premium Liner
Exp
Since 1986
We rarely stop anywhere more than 1 night anyway so our camper is our vehicle. We run ship shape all the time.. everything has the same home whether we are moving or parking so we can be off within a few minutes if we need to

We have a 9 metre motorhome. We take it everywhere, we don't book sites, if we need a site we just turn up, and we rarely stop in one place more than one night. Our stowage is organised to allow us to move at 5 minutes notice, which is a good idea when you wild camp when possible as we do. We do encounter some parking problems which are usually overcome, but the advantages of having the motorhome and all it facilities with us throughout the day outweighs these problems. That's what motorhoming is all about!! If you are going to leave your motorhome permanently on site as many do ... well you may as well sell it and buy a caravan !

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
We take the van everywhere. It's a 7.5m van and reasonably wide, but I figure if the bin lorry can get somewhere, so can I, and bin lorries go pretty much everywhere ! With 3 kids it's rare that we stay on site for a day. I've not failed to park yet - sometimes means a bit more of a walk, but we've always found somewhere.

What do we leave when we're out? Depends on the site really. I do have a cone with reg number on but don't use it very often, it always seems a bit petty to use it. Generally the levelling ramps will stay where they are, as will the step, so I can just drive back onto the same spot. The kids' bikes get left on site as well, chained together usually. We don't bother with hookup usually, so no cable to leave.

We like going out in the van - it's great having the fridge and facilities to make lunch with us, and having a loo with you at all times with young kids is a godsend! When you get the dreaded "Dad, I need the loo, and I'm desperate" - which usually happens at the worst possible times - being able to just find somewhere to pull over and let them go is great!

Upvote 0

Ethle the wondervan

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year

Yes, but..... Are there any disadvantages to doing this?

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
7M van and use it like a car. Unless we are on a raly we go out every day.
In seven years never had a priblem parking.
We are quite tidy so never much to put away.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
We walk, bus or take the van. It's 6m so more or less fits a standard parking bay. We have a spare number plate which we leave on the warning triangle as a notice that we shall return, never had a problem except with height restriction bars on car parks...but that's another story!

Upvote 0

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
We take our van out if there is no public transport nearby,if you ask at reception,they will tell you if it is your pitch for the juration of your stay.
The Caravan Club sites do not reserve your pitch so you have to leave some thing to reserve it.

Upvote 0

Jack Russel

Free Member
Feb 16, 2013
Stockport
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
We use our bikes to go into towns/ villages. We tow a small child carrier behind one of the bikes for the dog as it's safer on the road

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back