do we really need a second Leisure battery

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by mentaliss, Nov 17, 2013.

1. mentaliss

mentaliss

room is tight in our MH garage, we bought our Rapido with a second Leisure battery installed on the surface of the garage floor, the vehicle has been wired by the previous ownership for a
    solar panel, we don't do wild camping and for us I cant ever see us needing the requirement of a solar pane, the reason for the fuss is the garage space is tight especially so with a largest Leisure battery taking up space In our case is there an advantage of having a second leisure battery or can we really do without it.... experienced funsters please??

2. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

If your not using it and don't need it get rid,it's taking up valuable payload that could be better used.

Vlad

3. mentaliss

mentaliss

The battery is wired into the system and does get charged as such but what I'm querying is would I ever be in a situation where I could regret the removal of it, for instant do most Funsters only require one Leisure battery, when does a second battery become necessary?

4. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

I can't answer your question I'm afraid but if you're thinking of getting rid of the Solar Panel set up I may be interested :thumb:

5. JJ

JJ Funster

I suggest you remove the battery and disconnect the wires from your solar panel regulator but you keep it at home.

Then, after time, if you find you need it, it is easy to refit it.

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

The one time we REALLY rely on battery power is when we go to all the shows.. Usually arrive either Thursday or Friday and no shows have hook up,, So we need a minimum of 4 days off the grid ability..

Mind you, with many sites now charging for hook up separately we always opt out of it.
    We have in the past gone off grid for 10 days with a bit of sunshine :thumb:

But if you are unlikely to go to any shows or Funster meets, or indeed are not heavy users*, then an extra battery will not be needed

*I would be the first to admit we ARE heavy users.. telly addiction, sat system, laptops etc means we are reliant on decent batteries :Smile:

7. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Or, give it me. Allow me to introduce myself. I am MD of the Tootles Solar Panel and Unwanted 12volt Battery Company. We will remove your battery, and panel, and donate said same items to a poor and deserving motorhomer in Lancaster, at no charge to your good self!

:BigGrin::BigGrin::thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  8. mentaliss

mentaliss

sorry, it appears I'm being vague although the vehicle has the necessary wiring and regulator the previous owner's had taken the solar panel with them...so this post is really about do I need the power of two leisure batteries

9. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Most people who have a second battery spend a fair bit of time off grid,be that on an aire in France or wild camping in Scotland .In order to recharge batteries some will use solar panels other will have a battery to battery charger.If you set up a van right with led bulbs and a 12v tv,one battery and panel will do as your power usage is low.If you want to run microwaves hair dryers etc and use a lot of power more than one battery is required.
    If you mainly use sites with hookup one battery will be enough,if you ever fancied a night or two off hookup and watch your power usage one battery will last longer than you may think.
    I'd remove the spare battery and keep it at home as a spare ,you could always add a cheap solar panel and be set up for both scenarios

Hope this helps

Vlad

• Like Like x 2
  10. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

Simple answer is no, if you intend to use sites with hook up one leisure battery is more than adequate, It is possible to get away with only one leisure battery if you intend to stay on sites or wild camp without hook up, but a lot will depend on your power usage,just using the van will charge the leisure battery a certain amount anyway.

11. SIFTA SAM

SIFTA SAM Read Only Funster

As the majority of my M/Homing is done between April and October I use one leisure battery and a 130watt solar panel. But if I decided to extend the use of the van over the remaining months I would consider fitting a second leisure battery.
    You should use the van as it is now and decide later, based on your own experience.:thumb:

12. daisy mae

daisy mae Read Only Funster

I have two leisure batteries, they were in the van when I bought it five weeks ago, as soon as I am able I am going to buy a marine 125amp battery and just have the one, this will give me more room under the settee.use ehu more than not.

13. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

The only benefit of a second leisure battery is the ability to spend twice as long camping without hookup. If you really ONLY ever use mani sites with hookup then no you don't need it. Will you ever encounter a situation where it might be useful to have the extra capacity? Only you can answer that one but if you ever attend a motorhome show or Funster rally you may well find that extra capacity useful.

D.

14. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Do you consider going to a FUN meet wild camping ?

Usually no EHU.

Apart from that remove it. Put lots of tape on the wire ends and secure them. You can then put it back if the need arises.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Styx

Styx Read Only Funster

Would it not be possible for you to let the 2nd battery into the floor of the garage using a battery box...?
    In the 786F, the leisure battery was set into the floor of the garage so when a second battery was added it was done in the same way and so took up no room inside at all
    Just a thought :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  16. maz

maz Funster

Great avatar Styx! :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

cutting a grat big hole in my van tomorrow grate idea:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Firstly if you don't need the extra power due to you using hook-up on site all the time then remove the battery but leave the wiring in in case you change your mind at a later date (make sure it's all safely terminated!).

Also, as an aside, as the previous owner has removed the solar panel get up on the roof and make sure they haven't left any holes that need filling to stop water getting in!!!! :Eeek:

19. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

well i would keep both as you never know when you might nead the extra power but if you are not gowing off grid wich means no fun meats or not the real fun stuff you will be ok the hole point of a motor home is to get away frome it all soner have a bit more than not enough chers billtedrill

• Like Like x 1
  20. Styx

Styx Read Only Funster

This would be my thinking also... :thumb:

I'd also be looking to replace the solar panel - if only to have the peace of mind that all the batteries (including the vehicle battery) were being topped up all the time (but that wasn't the question...) :Smile: