Do we motorhomers really boost the economy? (2 Viewers)

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
As a matter of interest I just totted up our spending during our 75 day trip through Italy, Austria ,Germany and France and it came to about £3200 .This
Includes fuel as well as all our shopping as well as campsites and Aire costs.
We did use campsites a lot more than usual since we had a cycling plan which meant that we had to stay where ever we were near to paths . We did not eat out at all in Austria because most restaurants still allow smoking inside as well as outside and that was a big turnoff for us . In Germany we did not eat out a lot since because the choice of food was not great the best were Greek as well as Italian restaurants as well as the Nord See seafood chain .

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If the UK had a good aires network then I might be tempted to tour here more (or at all for that matter). As it is France etc gets the money I spend.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
the uk aint mh friendly so i suppose we dont add to the economy here but last time we was in spain i think we managed to drink and eat em out of recession :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
certainly ig going to spain best bring loads of beer and wine back . no point in buying uk expensive stuff. buy scotch cheaper there as well.
mind best have a good payload on the camper .
oh i forgot big diesel tanks as well.

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
I love keeping the little places we visit going. We always make a point of at least going for a coffee and a bite to eat, and where possible support the independent shops. I know it costs a little more put it gives us a nice feeling of putting something back into the local economy.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
We often see claims of how much motorhomers contribute to boosting local economies where we stay so during our holiday starting with the Sandy meet I decided to keep a rough track of how much we spent.

After Sandy we used a CL, MCC rallies and had 3 nights free camping at a pub.

Average daily spend worked out at about £47.50, of which about 16.5% was accommodation fees (average about £8 a night).

We ate out several times and didn't stint ourselves so we weren't choosing "cheap" for the sake of saving money. Granted we have bus passes, which we used quite a bit, but is £47.50 a day (for two people) really a major boost to the economy?

If its £40 a week spent locally
and say 30 Vans
£1200 Isn't a bad boost for a week

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The main reason I started this thread was to try to gauge whether what we happened to spend on this trip was a realistic average. I could then use figures to write to councils, having identified potential sites, and point out the potential boost to the local economy if they were to create aire/stopover facilities on those sites. From the replies I think I shall have to write in terms of "possible" rather than "average" :) Thanks to all who replied.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We had a month in Scotland earlier and were pleased that parking was free almost everywhere we went, encouraging us to stay and explore various towns and villages, we bought unnecessary coffee in cafés and pubs a not needed new handbag for O/H , as well as meals out.
Contrasting that we have just returned from a week in a static caravan in Cumbria and were charged everywhere we went, every little bit of wasteland had a parking meter present, we were even charged 20p to go to the loo!!!, as a result, not preplanned , we did not dine out anywhere but ate in the van, although the shopping was local. We did not realise until afterwards how little we spent in local businesses compared to Scotland, don't know if there is a moral here, or are we just tight Norfolk gits!

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
And not forgetting the costs of fuel to get to wherever you choose, unless you are running on bio juice but burning more than the average car.

Yes but do you buy the fuel in some out of town shopping centre at Tescos etc?

Not any help to the local community.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
So who do all the other fuel stns
belong to then ? Not many owned by jo blogs and if so where does he get his fuel?

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We often see claims of how much motorhomers contribute to boosting local economies where we stay so during our holiday starting with the Sandy meet I decided to keep a rough track of how much we spent.

After Sandy we used a CL, MCC rallies and had 3 nights free camping at a pub.

Average daily spend worked out at about £47.50, of which about 16.5% was accommodation fees (average about £8 a night).

We ate out several times and didn't stint ourselves so we weren't choosing "cheap" for the sake of saving money. Granted we have bus passes, which we used quite a bit, but is £47.50 a day (for two people) really a major boost to the economy?

Hi Graham,

Ok so two people only spent £47.50 I take it you are hinting that`s not going to add very much to their coffers but....times that by even a quarter of the motorhomes and caravans we pass and £47.50 multiplies in to a rather large amount!!!!!!!

Aug 19, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Concord
Exp
Since 2009
We often go to the coast for a few days when we get the chance .. when there we will buy bread from the bakers, meat from the butchers (which we also put in the freezer to take home), fish from the fishermen from the beach (also frozen to take home) , other groceries, fish & Chips and use the pubs. Last time we also spent at a clothing shop.

It must be a good idea for those spending when out and about to say they are there with a motorhome .. and maybe the "anti's" will be persuaded that actually we are good guys !! Jim - maybe a national campaign ??
Cheers Rob

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Graham,

Ok so two people only spent £47.50 I take it you are hinting that`s not going to add very much to their coffers but....times that by even a quarter of the motorhomes and caravans we pass and £47.50 multiplies in to a rather large amount!!!!!!!
That's what we averaged on that trip, Rob. What I was trying to gauge is whether it was a reasonable general average or whether it is high/low.

It's one thing going to a council along the lines of "set up an aire and every van attracted will bring 50 quid a day to your local economy" and another saying "each van may only bring a fiver a day into your economy but if you make space for a couple of dozen the scheme might start to pay its way".

OK, that's a bit flippant but I hope you get my drift - the first, if realistic, would be worth doing but the second would be much harder to carry through :)

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
What about this scenario..........caravan users (tuggers) right now outnumber their motorhome counterparts. Very soon tuggers will diminish due to car driving licenses. Younger drivers will have to sit a further test to pull a 'van. Probably encourage more motorhomers.
Right now the tuggers can pitch up and visit local attractions in their car with no parking restrictions.
Not as easy in a 7m motorhome.

Could this put pressure on local councils as the local economies of some tourist areas suffer when they lose out here?

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Yes but do you buy the fuel in some out of town shopping centre at Tescos etc?

Not any help to the local community.
Too right i do as often there's at least 10p a litre difference

As it is living in an oil rich country I object to stupidly high fuel tax im sure I ain't going to pay more for it than I have to

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
That's what we averaged on that trip, Rob. What I was trying to gauge is whether it was a reasonable general average or whether it is high/low.

It's one thing going to a council along the lines of "set up an aire and every van attracted will bring 50 quid a day to your local economy" and another saying "each van may only bring a fiver a day into your economy but if you make space for a couple of dozen the scheme might start to pay its way".

OK, that's a bit flippant but I hope you get my drift - the first, if realistic, would be worth doing but the second would be much harder to carry through :)
I don't want aires in Scotland I like it the way it is now ......

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
What about this scenario..........caravan users (tuggers) right now outnumber their motorhome counterparts. Very soon tuggers will diminish due to car driving licenses. Younger drivers will have to sit a further test to pull a 'van. Probably encourage more motorhomers.
Right now the tuggers can pitch up and visit local attractions in their car with no parking restrictions.
Not as easy in a 7m motorhome.

Could this put pressure on local councils as the local economies of some tourist areas suffer when they lose out here?
You may well be right - but it will take a heck of a long time :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back