Do we motorhomers really boost the economy?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by GJH, Aug 3, 2014.

1. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We often see claims of how much motorhomers contribute to boosting local economies where we stay so during our holiday starting with the Sandy meet I decided to keep a rough track of how much we spent.

After Sandy we used a CL, MCC rallies and had 3 nights free camping at a pub.

Average daily spend worked out at about £47.50, of which about 16.5% was accommodation fees (average about £8 a night).

We ate out several times and didn't stint ourselves so we weren't choosing "cheap" for the sake of saving money. Granted we have bus passes, which we used quite a bit, but is £47.50 a day (for two people) really a major boost to the economy?

2. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

No, we are all tight gits!

3. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Especially the Norfolk ones, ha ha

• Like Like x 1
  4. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

If you multiply the amount by the number of motorhomes I expect the number will be quite large. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

yes it is £47.50p that would not be in there pockets so yes passing trade from tourist better than 0.00.
    As a lot of motor homers brag of taking every thing an paying nothing even a news paper is a boost to a village news agent.
    So well done that cuppal(y)

• Like Like x 5
  6. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

In the winter time we go to a CL near Harrogate quite a lot, we can walk into Harrogate and there is a bus to Leeds where they have some nice jewellery shops and art galleries, I will not say how much we have spent but we could have bought a nearly new motorhome for the same money.

I am not saying we would not have spent the money if we had not gone to those places with the motorhome but there is a fair chance that we would have spent it somewhere else, so YES staying in the motorhome did directly impact on the local economy, of course we buy food and drink as well but we do that wherever we go in the motorhome.

Martin

7. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

And not forgetting the costs of fuel to get to wherever you choose, unless you are running on bio juice but burning more than the average car.

8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

yes but dont forget what you buy where you are you are depriving your local shops etc .
    does it really matter . ones gain another,s loss .
    you go there . they might come here .

• Like Like x 2
  9. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

better off arguing the right to roam, in a motorhome, as I have said before I live in an area with the highest water rates etc in the country I pay my dues to the economy. People come here , we go there. It all balances out in the end, why should we even have to justify our existence.

• Like Like x 4
  10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Yes, I thought of that but, as you say, it could well balance out over time. If we had stayed at home we would not have bought diesel and lpg - but that would have been offset to an extent by using petrol, gas & electricity at home. We would not have eaten out as much and would not have gone to visitor attractions.

What I am really getting at is whether the average amount we spend overall is sufficient to provide a valid argument of economic benefits (as often quoted in support of calls for aires).

EDIT - Certainly not a matter of justifying our existence Roger.

11. Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy Funster

If we didn't , why do so many german and french villages have aires and with the baker dropping by every morning? IMO uk is missing a trick.

• Like Like x 7
  12. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

I wonder what other categories of tourist need to justify how much they are to spend before being deemed suitable to be allowed? Should families who bring a picnic be shunned? Are cyclists flying through pretty villages to be turned away? How long before our beaches are to become Pay On Entry? and only food purchased here to be consumed. Is this the way we are heading?

Wyn

• Like Like x 7
  13. wingman

wingman Funster

Yes, I think we are good for the economy. It's not just a bit of grub and a pint, think of all the windbreaks, bits of tubing, hooks, 12v adaptors, awning pegs, visits to the £ shop, crocs and flip-flops and the rest of the paraphernalia. Not to mention all of those BIG purchases and fitments!(n)

• Like Like x 1
  14. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i,m like wildman and several on here sw water charge the highest water rates . the population here x 20 ,in summer . i dont have any worry about going any where else.
    i might not buy anything when away . yet i might buy alot.
    very rarely eat out . hardly ever have eaten in a restaurant better than i can cook.
    if i shop its probably in a supermarket .mind staff get paid .
    dont support expensive little shops . they have to learn to buy better and sell cheaper.
    dont buy beer etc in uk . far too expensive , buy it in spain .
    mind you do need a good payload on your camper .

• Like Like x 3
  15. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Very unlikely I'd say. We all buy at Tesco. We may have the odd meal out.

I think you need properly charged aires for the sake of the locals. God knows what the correct price would be though.

• Like Like x 2
  16. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

That's what I'm trying to get at. Is the UK really missing a trick or do the differences between the UK and France/Germany (and their motorhome using populations, both domestic and transient) mean that the economic benefits which are oft claimed to come from creating aires are just so much smoke and mirrors?

17. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

Graham I think it would be hard to justify having tennis courts, bowling green, swimming pools, athletic stadiums and the cost in maintaining them etc in local communities that is unless you use them.
    I think am right in saying there is over 1 million M/H in the UK, that's without our friends from across the water so I don't see it can be that hard to justify aires in the uk when am sure there's not that many using some of the above
    At least when you do have aires there will be money spent in the local areas and some of the more remote parts of the uk could certainly do with the vistors
    Our European friends think they are worth the investment so why not in the uk

• Like Like x 1
  18. vwalan

vwalan Funster

aires in france were set up for a reason . nothing to do with shops .
    originally france was tenting country ,hardly any caravans at all.
    when motorhomes /campers started in numbers the french couldnt use them on campsites they were set up for tents only . they parked anywhere . very often creating a mess . the authority and the new m,home clubs got together and arranged the first m,home stop overs . many in police station carparks or council office car parks . etc . later they built the bournes etc and aires took off . wine places agreed to help by letting you use their carparks usually you bought some bottles of wine . but now many have forgotten why aires started .
    i remember being turned away from campsites when travelling with my parents in the early 60,s . we were in campers . some places we had used before with tents .

19. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Whatever and wherever you spend when touring etc you should point out to the shopkeeper/restaurateur you are visiting and staying locally in a motorhome.

They may then think twice about condemning motorhomers as self sufficiant freeloaders who do nothing for the local coffers.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

when we tour we visit local attractions every other day we buy local, yes at supermarkets and street markets. the spending is moved around the country if they don't want me I'll find somewhere else to park up.

• Like Like x 3