Do we have many full timers on the forum at the moment? (1 Viewer)

jansellsbond

Free Member
Feb 24, 2016
Dawlish
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Broadway FB
Exp
since 2004
No Dave. Too far away at the moment. However, will be logging in here regularly so overall in touch.

Angelwitch

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
Hornsea
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2014
We have been fulltiming since Aug 2015,we have done the whole of Ireland coast road and about a third of UK.
Going to France,Spain Portugal in Feb until May and then doing South of England coast until school children appear :)
We dont use sites we wild park :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stevang

Free Member
Apr 19, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Galaxy
Exp
Hi we are full timers into our 2nd year.... winter in Portugal around Alvor last year found it very wet after xmas.... looking to go to Morocco but with the expense €200 for dog blood test etc over €200 for ticket then there is travel insurance
having a rethink any ideas anyone ???? Look forward to the replays

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We are going to be in Sicily December, January then who knows. Where are you going to be ?
Kev n Fi
Hi kev and Fi are you here in Sicily now ?

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Really interesting reading this thread because Allan retires end of April and we're leaving our son & girlfriend in our house and travelling in the RV. Going to a couple of the Scotland rallies in June, got the ferry booked to France 7th Feb as got tickets for Andre Rieu at Maastrict then free to go who knows where and wherever the fancy takes us! No fixed ideas apart from want to search out some warm weather for the winter. Fun sticker in the window so if anyone spots us, please come in for a drink

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Bought our first van in the summer of 2013 and been in it full time since end of 2013. No intention of changing the lifestyle in the near future.

Spent 3-5 months in uk (in the summer months) and maroc for the last 3 winters.

Done 10 european countries but there are a lot more to do........

Love the nomadic life!!!

Artycarl

Free Member
Mar 12, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We have often thought about full timing but one thing that curbs our enthusiasm most times is the seeming lack of overnight parking places where you are actually welcome. Can you full timers tell me if the reality is any different from that perception?

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Not quite sure what you mean. We usually go with campsites and Aires as we like hookups but wild camping has been fine too. People appreciate the money tourists bring in and normally are very welcoming. Staying in one place for a long time if you're wilding could be tricky but that's, all.

Artycarl

Free Member
Mar 12, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I just seem to see 'no overnight parking' signs in most of the spots I think I could overnight. I guess a mixture of proper sites and a little wilding might be the answer.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I just seem to see 'no overnight parking' signs in most of the spots I think I could overnight. I guess a mixture of proper sites and a little wilding might be the answer.
I guess you are talking about the UK? It depends a little on what sort of MH you have. You will have a better chance of parking in side streets with a discrete looking PVC, less so in a big MH covered in decals. :)
But people certainly do it and I assume after a while they build up a list of suitable locations they can move between. Otherwise, in the UK the cheapest paid options are probably CLs and CSs.
Scotland is a different matter as the law allows "wild camping" in large areas of the country.

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
We both have put in our resignation in at work we finish 28th April. And we start in May to travel. We will be doing the uk and fun rallies till winter for the first time we go to France n Spain so much looking forward to it. We had lodges in our house but that did not work out so we are just shutting it down and we wil keep going back to it to check over cut grass and sort mail out . We allso have a friend to look over the house when we are away . Got our scooter for the back of mh time has passed so quickly since we last posted.
John n Linda

Blah

Free Member
Jul 21, 2015
Nomad
Funster No
MH
Wildax Aurora
Exp
its in the family blood
Me too am full time touring and possibly renting if the winter gets too harsh.

On my bucket list is Orcas so am spending some time in Shetland. Lots of places to park safely and I guess it will be a site once in a while to catch up on washing

Not quite mentally at ease yet as waiting for house sale to complete.

The weather is gorgeous but couldn't get to reported Orcas fast enough today lol too far south, needed fuel and they moved off quick according to reports.

Next time

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
On the East coast near Mablethorpe. Keeping an eye on a friends place while they are not there.

We are not full timers but, like many others, spend winters in Spain to get away from the UK weather and love it :) staying at a mixture of Aires and sites though we do see plenty folks "wilding"

Don't you fancy Spain or even Morocco for the winter @Gromett ? :unsure:

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Still a beginner but loving it, on C&CC site with Stella the bear,
WIN_20170325_15_57_42_Pro.jpg
close to London where most of my work is (y)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
We are not full timers but, like many others, spend winters in Spain to get away from the UK weather and love it :) staying at a mixture of Aires and sites though we do see plenty folks "wilding"

Don't you fancy Spain or even Morocco for the winter @Gromett ? :unsure:

Yup, but not this year. Saving up for a new van, this one wouldn't get me there :eek:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Just bought am rack like yours @BONZO now to find a scoot. Seven months to go and can't wait.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We was up until December, ;) now we are half timers. :ROFLMAO:

As from 1st May we are full timers again, :LOL: our apartment in Javea is almost fully booked until the 1st October ;) apart from half-term week so if you have any friends or family looking for a holiday arrive 29th May and could stay for up to 9 nights £500 bargain. :LOL:

At the moment on Lake Garda without a plan. :ROFLMAO: Bob.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If not a to personal question can some of the full timers give me an idea of what your annual budget is?
I'm going full time soon never done it before and tips and advice on places to go would be helpful.
Also are most full timing on pensions or are you in careers that you work online etc and make an income?
I'm initially looking to travel for a year or so but would like to relocate somewhere warmer ie south Spain or canaries etc
Obviously people who have been doing this a long time have invaluable experience which may help with the nerves I have

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If not a to personal question can some of the full timers give me an idea of what your annual budget is?
I'm going full time soon never done it before and tips and advice on places to go would be helpful.
Also are most full timing on pensions or are you in careers that you work online etc and make an income?
I'm initially looking to travel for a year or so but would like to relocate somewhere warmer ie south Spain or canaries etc
Obviously people who have been doing this a long time have invaluable experience which may help with the nerves I have
Mine is under £8,000 a year. I aim for less than £150 a week. Then have to add a bit on annually for van repairs etc.

I have been fulltiming for over 8 years now. I run my company from my van.

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
If I pick up unfriendly vibes I don't bother.
I had expected we would entertain a lot more in the van than we do. We might have the odd chat at the door but the only people we've had in are prearranged visitors.

It's so funny you should say this. I seem to live a life of two halves. I'm just going into my third year of fulltiming solo.

Once I cross the channel and get into Spain and Portugal I find people are happy and willing to share food and I'll often cook for people in the van or eat in somebody else's van.

Back home here for the summer and I'm currently parked on some common ground given over to the people for recreation including motorhomers. The place is nearly full but in two weeks I've had the briefest of nods and hello's. Everyone is tied up with their own stuff and their own friends. I'm Ok with it as I enjoy my solitude and I have friends who come to call while I'm here for the summer.

But it's a different world for me for sure.

Jan 2, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus
Exp
full timing since beginning 2017
I full time in my motorhome, under 6 m , hide in plain site down south in New Forest, get seasonal pitch, much cheaper, works out around £100 a month in winter, £150 in summer, don't need any hook up. Plenty of CLS to have a couple of days on every 21 days. I work at private houses, just park outside in their driveway whilst working, brilliant cos my dogs are with me all the time
As I got older I found paying the extortionate rents in the village I have always lived got too much, working 70 hours just to stand still.
I can now easily live on £150 a week and still save some of that. Anything extra goes into savings to keep van going (1997 Elddis Autostratus) my lovely little hideout!!
I too am happy with my own company, never alone with a dog!
This way of live gives me time to enjoy walking which I would never be able to do if I had restrictions of rent etc. Also I would always have to work, even when I reach retirement, as rent and council tax are too much. So now, as long as the van lasts, I can look forward to retirement.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back