Do People buy vans 'requiring attention'?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by bhs, Sep 23, 2015.

1. bhs

bhs Read Only Funster

After our recent european debacle, where I managed to spend three days in a French hospital having an operation on a badly mangled hand, limping home after waiting 10 days whilst unable to drive, eventually got going with OH changing gear, we called in on friends on the way up country, whilst the van was in a layby outside their house someone clipped the back and put a groove in the garage door and took the whole of the rear body panel/bumper off, lights and all, breaking it in to several pieces. Kind person drove off and has been untraceable.

Ordinarily I would have dealt with it perhaps seeking out plastic welder and doing all the prep myself.

However circumstances make me wonder if it might be better to sell the van to someone willing to take on the repairs?

I will be in and out of hospital for some time and am likely to lose 60% use of left hand

Van is 1999 Hymer B574 can't get body panel as replacement, insurance claim probably not a good idea as it will impact on our other vehicle insurances.

Was looking to upgrade van next year anyway (probably an auto now)

I know I will have to take a big hit on selling price but we won't have the worry of it over the winter.

ps it was still a great holiday, still laughing at the indignity of being taken 40 miles to hospital in a French Fire engine in my swimming cossy, not a pretty sight!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Mel

Mel Funster

There is always a buyer if the price is OK

• Like Like x 2
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Yes, people do buy, if the price is right.. see plenty on ebay 'requiring attention' or sold for spares or repair..

I'd put it on ebay with plenty of pictures and an honest description.. and have a realistic reserve price.. ..

• Like Like x 1
  4. vin.egan

vin.egan Funster

Yes they do is the simple answer.
    Put an ad on here, someone would have a great project.

Good luck with the recovery, good you can smile about it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I much prefer to buy a van that is in need... Saves a LOT of money if you are able to sort things out your self ( and I know for a fact I am far from the only person thinking that way !! )

• Like Like x 1
  6. bartiny

bartiny

Part exchange it against an auto, tell the dealer that it is a non recorded accident, the dealer will get it repaired at cost, motorhome repaired as good as new, no record of it if anyone does a HPI check, so should not effect future resale values.

That is what I would do, Just my opinion (y)

• Like Like x 5
  7. jezport

jezport Funster

It may not impact on your other vehicles. I had a claim on my car and my van insurance dropped by £10 the next year, That was through the C&CC

8. chaser

chaser Funster

Are there many 99 reg vans that don't need attention :(?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tootles

Tootles Funster

How much?? o_O

• Like Like x 1
  10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We thought our first van was finished after it was "visited" by Asda and a neighbour. It was written off by the insurance company (no fault so no impact on premiums) but obviously sold on as it has since been put back on the road and is currently taxed, insured and has an MoT.

11. bhs

bhs Read Only Funster

Had a minor collision but no no claim incident 3 years ago and car insurance is still being loaded despite protected no claims, thats why I'm wary

Van has lots of new bits this year including engine and air con rads, tyres, water pump, we were going to head right down south. Don't know what to ask, stands me in around £17000 I know I will lose loads, did try local dealer as straight purchase but they suggested ebay too! Will take some pics and perhaps offer it on classifieds here.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

What a nightmare. Your right to be wary of putting things through your insurer. Things like protected no claims bonus is a huge con. All the insurance company does is load up your premium & if you look at other insurers the protected no claims evaporates & is not honoured by other companies. I'm liking the idea of trying for a trade in against another motorhome. Most dealers would be quite happy to take it off your hands & for whoever buys the vehicle it'd be an all round winner.

Here's hoping you get the situation sorted out to your satisfaction.

13. bhs

bhs Read Only Funster

Problem with doshing out more money on trade in is two fold, finding a van which suits and not knowing if I will be mobile enough to use it!
    About the only thing I can do one handed at the moment is surf the internet! (no comments thankyou) Brilliant for not washing up, not gardening, not shopping, not decorating and being not popular around the house!

14. scousebird

scousebird Funster

There are people who will buy it. My nephew bought a non runner, failed MOT very old Hymer and got it back on the road, so there must be others out there.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Forget the no comments :sneaky:
    So your trying to tell us it's so big it needs two hands? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Good luck with the MoHo, selling as is and premium bond the cash till your fit is a good idea I think :notworthy2:

16. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Your genuine, reason for sale genuine...if van as equally genuine you will easily find a buyer as they are always popular:)

Put it in the classified section on here and preloved, local Gumtree. All cost nothing...

17. bhs

bhs Read Only Funster

Good idea Paul (and I wish!!)

18. bhs

bhs Read Only Funster

Got 10 days before Op! Will sort advert promptly, thanks everyone for cheering me up!

• Like Like x 2
  19. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Good luck with your op (y)

20. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

Find the average price for your van in undamaged condition. then the cost of repairs, double cost of repairs and take off the undamaged price. This is a realistic value

I buy motorhomes and caravans and do them up cosmetically before reselling. Pictures of the actual damage would be very helpful, as I may be able to give a guesstimate on cost. It is likely that having it repaired locally makes more sense financially. then sell on in good order with more cash towards your new auto van

• Like Like x 2