Do other Motor home owners understand us? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
But you are in danger

Just my opinion but if it aint broke dont try to fix it:thumb:
I agree with Jim a big part of this forum is to ask questions or give opinions/answers

But are you not in danger of seeing a posted topic and just skipping it as you feel oh no not again? So in the end the new comer does not get the answer they deserved.

Yesterday a new comer asked what an Aires was.. I looked at it and passed on by as I thought I could not be bothered to answer it. Same with a lot of posts now.

I was keen, and to some extent I am still, but in the end I see I am not logging on so often..OK I may show up as if on line, just to lazy to close the site down.. I am looking at other sites, especially the American sites that have one common interest Yanks.. and a big chunk of winnibago owners.

I answer one post here and there, but when i have attempted to bring some humour which is oposed very fast and often (am I that much of a threat to you?) Jim and Brian are two that spring to mind, others may go back and forth on an issue but some do not come over that friendly even if they have been posting for 3 years, location in the UK has nothing to do with it as far as I am concerned. If newcomers see that sort of attitude they will soon fade away.

Me, I have a hard skin, most lawyers do. But I do wonder why we have such a large membership yet few who subscribe? they come and go it seems.

There are many that welcome them and would love to help them, but as I have said they find it hard to keep asking for info. OK some do not I accept that. But the numbers do not lie.. I am sure Boss Jim would also note this and I expect have a views on it.

OK it is clear that a small number on the site do not want any form of knowledge tree? but just let people post questions over and over.

Oh well I tried.

Bob:cry:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
This thread shows just how diverse solutions can some times be.
The search option is good ,I frequently use it but as suggested a precise list of subjects would improve upon it.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I was keen, and to some extent I am still, but in the end I see I am not logging on so often..

And fortunately, as one becomes blasé to such things, others come along who still have the fire and passion burning.. And that is WHY forums work so well..

Not one of us are that important.. Not one of us prop a forum up ( any forum )...

We are all pretty much transient members as interests ebb and flow.

Yes, there are always going to be more than a fair few who live the dream their entire lives ( i take myself as an example but in the biking world.. no idea if I shall be as passionate about MH in a few years time ) but for every hard core MH there will be 20 or so 'just passing through.'

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
OK it is clear that a small number on the site do not want any form of knowledge tree? but just let people post questions over and over.

Oh well I tried.

I don't have the impression anyone said that they don't want it, rather it's a huge undertaking and would end up so complex that people would end up asking the same old questions as usual.

>> Yesterday a new comer asked what an Aires was.. I looked at it and passed on by as I thought I could not be bothered to answer it.

No problem, I saw that and before I could offer an answer several were posted.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I don't have the impression anyone said that they don't want it, rather it's a huge undertaking and would end up so complex that people would end up asking the same old questions as usual.

>> Yesterday a new comer asked what an Aires was.. I looked at it and passed on by as I thought I could not be bothered to answer it.

No problem, I saw that and before I could offer an answer several were posted.

That's hit the nail firmly on the head

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
To that I say amen

And fortunately, as one becomes blasé to such things, others come along who still have the fire and passion burning.. And that is WHY forums work so well..

Not one of us are that important.. Not one of us prop a forum up ( any forum )...

We are all pretty much transient members as interests ebb and flow.

Yes, there are always going to be more than a fair few who live the dream their entire lives ( i take myself as an example but in the biking world.. no idea if I shall be as passionate about MH in a few years time ) but for every hard core MH there will be 20 or so 'just passing through.'

I think you are right with the summing up of the problem. I have other interests as well, but have been in to American motorhomes for over 20 years now. But I also collect z gauge model trains and and had an interest in collecting old toys for 25 years or more. So motor homing is not the be all and end all. If I subscribed or not to this site or any of the others I would still be motor homing I suspect just the same as collecting.

The world revolves, some get on and some get off. But to make the sit work we need to get more on and to keep them, same as any form of magazine... if you do not get enough it dies.

You only need to read the camping and caravanning club magazine (yes I am the one) to see a district meet after years and years has now just died a death from lack of interest. I do to DA meets and sometimes only 6 or 8 caravans and if we are lucky 2 or 3 motorhomes. Why is that? lack of interest? or a sign of the times.

Why do so many motorhomes go to the shows? all questions and no answers I suspect.. but I think your post sums it up well

Bob:Eeek:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I answer one post here and there, but when i have attempted to bring some humour which is oposed very fast and often (am I that much of a threat to you?) Jim and Brian are two that spring to mind, others may go back and forth on an issue but some do not come over that friendly even if they have been posting for 3 years, location in the UK has nothing to do with it as far as I am concerned.

I'm completely baffled, this is the second post where you specifically point the finger at the dastardly duo Jim and Brian. I can assure you that we mean you no harm. Text only communication is devilishly hard to get nuances across, I have been critised in the past for not using the child like emoticoms for the simple reason that they are so badly used and overused. Hang in there Bob and assume we are sharing a pint in a pub and everything is taken with a slurred pinch of salt.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
not having a go at you and JIm

I'm completely baffled, this is the second post where you specifically point the finger at the dastardly duo Jim and Brian. I can assure you that we mean you no harm. Text only communication is devilishly hard to get nuances across, I have been critised in the past for not using the child like emoticoms for the simple reason that they are so badly used and overused. Hang in there Bob and assume we are sharing a pint in a pub and everything is taken with a slurred pinch of salt.

I was not intending to say that you were having a go Brian or Jim for that matter, as you say trying to get the right words on the page to express a feeling is not always easy.. the smile faces do not actually do it do they?:Blush:

But I am a big boy and do not find that it is a problem...

I will always cross swords for the fun of it even when it is Jim and his video of paint drying..:ROFLMAO:

no offense intended Brian.

Bob :thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I have been on forums where you ask a question and the answer you get is a stern read this that or the other, that is why I agreed with Jim we should all encourage questions then when people get answers that help they want to participate more and above all its supposed to be FUN

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
no offense intended Brian.
Bob :thumb:

I'm not offended, worried.

I'm here for FUN, not to upset people. If I do upset people then I've cocked up a post. Usually wine is involved.

I do know FUN needs the likes of you, good yarns to spin, been there, done that, chasing Yobs in wheel chair, we need you.

Thinking back I picked on your very first post -- "if you have to ask you wouldn't understand" -- now there is a perfect example of misinterpreted communication. That looked the exact opposite of FUN but when you explain, it's a laid back Yank saying.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Struth:Eeek:

Atitudes, Brian's hit the nail on the head, it's very easy to be misunderstood when typing, and it's something to bear in mind, but to overly analyse one's words, shall we say, is likely to loose the personality of the individual or post, or make it boring. Part of the FUN is caricters (spelling's seriously off today:Doh:) and I get the impression most newcomers get that or have read enough to appreceate sometimes what is said isn't quite what was meant?

Anyway, pick a topic, any topic, no not the chocolate one and search here, anywhere and you'll get loads of answers, and or opinions. Now this may answer your question or leave you with more or simply confused, it's called generally being a newbie, though not exclusive to newbies, and if asking a question again clarifies the answer why not, seems simple to me, sometimes any off us will ask a question knowing full well the answer but we just need it reaffirming.

Whatever, ain't broke don't fix it,whilst I get Bob's idea of an easy guide to MHing, one size fits all is the problem, and we are not just talking MHs here we're talking people. What many of us take for granted in terms of our knowledge and understanding may be complete goobled gook to others.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The forum and info support from it are great, but when you meet the real people behind the sometimes odd alias' you realise what a helpful friendly lot they really are, we met lots at Misterton and Lincoln and look forward to seeing them again :Smile:

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
newbies and same old questions

I have been reading theads on this great forum for a couple of months and have joined as a result of the mixture of experience and sharp wit on the end of the keys of my inscrutable PC thingy. As a newby, (my 120 low profile comes at end of this month) I dont think I would have joined a forum peopled by the polite and politicaly correct, I think you have a great blend of fact and foolishness and thanks for your help and "micky taking" thus far. Mitch.PS are any of you going to the NEC ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back