Do I need an alarm system

Discussion in 'Motorhome Security' started by wp1234, Oct 28, 2009.

1. wp1234

wp1234

My first post on here so pls forgive me if this has been asked before .

Am taking delivery of my first ever MH this Saturday and although the 2008 Autotrail Cheyanne is fitted wih a smart tracker and Fiat immobiliser it does not have an alarm system .
    As far as can see the cost of a system is circa £550 so am wondering how important it is to have an all singing and dancing system .

Seems to me that the majority of MH have them fitted or am I being paranoid ?

If the vote is to put one on is there a nationwide fitting service that I can use or will the local car alarm fitter be OK to use on a MH ?

Thanks in advance

2. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi wp1234 if it has a tracker and immobiliser fitted I would not bother,be sure to tell your insurers about the tracker it should reduce your premium
    terry
    BTW WELCOME

3. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

Well, if they are able to overcome the immobiliser they'll get caught because of the tracker but remember how much valuables will be in the van when you're on holiday and do you want to come back to a van that's been trashed inside? :Eeek:

4. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi and WELCOME

I personally would have an alarm fitted, had ours fitted by dealer.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Alarm systems are of little value when you are no where near the van.. I would spend the money on decent deadlocks for the cab and habitation doors..

and for night time peace of mind, fit a hab door alarm.. about a fiver each .. available from the likes of Maplins, these are cheap but very effective.. can also be fitted to vulnerable windows.

for example ...

Window and Door Alarm : Alarms : Maplin

6. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

They are if you are parked where there are passers by,i.e. parked in a town ,supermarket etc.:thumb:

7. Euromobil

Euromobil Read Only Funster

Hi, with all your existing security you really only need to disuade the opportunist thief. I fitted a wireless diy alarm to our van, covering the interior with a pir and doors with a contact.
    Its now very obvious the van is alarmed plus stickers on glass, so hopefully it will seem too much bother .
    Cost very modest compared to dealer fit.
    Plus I fitted extra door locks, again very visible deterrent.

8. madbluemad

madbluemad

Hi

With the security that you already have I woudnt bother. Perhaps buy a local alarm for doors etc.

The only reason that I have one is because it was an insurance company requirement.

I was going to use the word prerequisite there :Eeek: but thought about the grammar and spelling police and discarded the idea. :Rofl1:

Cheers

Jim
    :Smile:

9. vindiboy

vindiboy Funster

Definately have an alarm system, every little helps as they say. Mine has a facility to alarm the van but allow us to leave an animal inside or us move about inside when enabled. If any door or locker is opened when set the alarm sounds, how many posts have you read where someone is asleep in their van and get robbed and know nothing about it till they wake next day, well if any one entered my van with alarm set all hell would sound and I sure would wake up.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

10. savantuk

savantuk Read Only Funster

I'm also in favour of an alarm.

Ours is fitted with quite a sophisticated system - all the doors and windows are alarmed, including the garage, gas locker and Thetford hatch. Theres a lot of 'value' kept in the outside lockers, and we actually had a casette stolen from our last van:Eeek:

There is a setting which disables the internal sensors, so that we can sleep and move about the van, with all the external doors locked - great if you are wild camping, or on some of the 'less salubrious' Aires in france and spain. It also arms the alarm, and disables the engine if the doors aren't locked after about 10 minutes.

We also have deadlocks fitted.

The complete system was supplied and fitted by Brownhills.

As far as a 'tracker' is concerned, we have an old mobile fitted 'secretly' and hard wired to a12v charger. This means that the van can be tracked within the UK, whilst not as accurately as a purpose built tracker, it can be tracked to an individual cell, costs nothing, and there is no annual service charge. I ring it every so often, just to make sure that it is still working.:Laughing:

11. Mick H

Mick H Read Only Funster

I only had an alarm professionaly fitted because the insurers wouldn't insure it without, otherwise i wouldn't have bothered with one.
    Please be aware that most trackers can be blocked, so they are NOT as good as people think! Also, most have a very high cost.

Mick H.

12. wp1234

wp1234

Hi Vindiboy - thanks for that I think im convinced to fit one if only for peace of mind ... can you tell me if you had yours retrofitted and am I right thinking its around £500

13. 0zzy

0zzy Read Only Funster

what alarm

dont bother with a alarm
    when they go off nobody takes any notice.
    if someone wants to get in they will. also by the time you alarm goes off the thief has already broken your window/door. making it a insurance job anyway.
    we have just a tracking device and the burstner factory fitted imobilizer in our 747-2:thumb:

14. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

sorry derek but i have to disagree.

alarms go off on a regular basis...usually false alarms, so no-one takes a blind bit of notice these days. maybe a qiuck glance and walk on.

try it !!!!

next time you're in a supermarket carpark, sit in the car/van and press the alarm fob panic button.
    see how many people come and ask what you're doing...

NONE ! :RollEyes:

15. pappajohn

before a tracker signal can be blocked (if it can) the thief would need to scan the tracker for the transmitter frequency then set the blocker to that frequency.

how many 'T' leaves are going to spend loads of money on a scanner/blocker, spend a while scanning, while the tracker has been activated, and then drive off knowing the police have been alerted anyway.

PS....i would have gone elsewhere for insurance if mine insisted on a tracker.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  16. stagman

stagman Deleted User

Tell me how to block it so I can do it on my works van .:thumb:

17. pappajohn

as it'll be GPS based just drive in tunnels ALLthe time....job sorted. :Rofl1:

18. stagman

stagman Deleted User

Yes but they will know when and where I go in and come out , on the other hand ain't got many tunnels down here. Could cover the ariel in lead or foil , but don't think i would get away with it .Sackable offence . :thumb:

19. pappajohn

Hey!!!!
    who said anything about coming out ? :Rofl1:

20. takeaflight

takeaflight Read Only Funster