Do I need a RCD on an inverter? (1 Viewer)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
To simplify
Sterling know that despite their best efforts they cannot force people to comply with using an RCD.
To minimise NOT remove the risk they supply it out of the box as centre tapped.
For those using an RCD you simple fit a fuse link to convert it.

As mine is.. .. Option 1 ..

It's only a 200watt Pure Sine wave Sterling, used for charging camera and Mac book batteries.. I have no trailing leads, used 'out of the box' as supplied..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
As mine is.. .. Option 1 ..

It's only a 200watt Pure Sine wave Sterling, used for charging camera and Mac book batteries.. I have no trailing leads, used 'out of the box' as supplied..
Fine Jim
Mine however is 4000watt peak and feeds every socket in the van (y)

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I have a similar set-up to Andy use lots of electric, microwave, toaster, coffee machine, (not all at once) all van sockets live on mains or inverter. A RCB is a must. Being in the industry all my working live. Please get yourself a RCB and get it fitted by someone who knows what their doing. And test it regularly. I can see that with the large amount of people getting inverters we may soon be hearing of accidents. We don't mind paying big money for our mh then skimp of a few pounds for our safety.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@Steve

not sure if you were addressing me or the OP, but also been in the 'industry' all my life.. so know what I am doing.. I would never skimp on safety .. nor advise anyone else to do so..

Small Coke can size size inverters have been on the market for donkeys years.. there must be hundreds of thousands sold.. mostly just plugged into ciggy sockets.. people are not being killed by them.. with a bit of common sense, they are perfectly safe used 'out of the box' .. are you suggesting they should only be used with an RCD ?

what Andy and yourself have is a different kettle of fish, a large inverter plumbed in feeding sockets.. and agree that with that sort of instal an RCD should be fitted..

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Do you remember the Avo valve tester - those where the days.
Oh yes..(y). Funnily enough I was preaching the virtues of the old AVO 8 analogue meter while trying to find an intermittent fault on one of our propulsion controllers yesterday. My electricians were looking at me with a kind of supressed horror, I think they thought I'd finally lost my marbles...:rolleyes:

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
All this info is so interesting. What's the set up with the Eurpean (French) system, are they wired up similar to ours then , live neutral earth, on campsites I mean? I've seen so many botched outlets on good sites?(n):imoutahere:

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
@Steve

not sure if you were addressing me or the OP, but also been in the 'industry' all my life.. so know what I am doing.. I would never skimp on safety .. nor advise anyone else to do so..

Small Coke can size size inverters have been on the market for donkeys years.. there must be hundreds of thousands sold.. mostly just plugged into ciggy sockets.. people are not being killed by them.. with a bit of common sense, they are perfectly safe used 'out of the box' .. are you suggesting they should only be used with an RCD ?

what Andy and yourself have is a different kettle of fish, a large inverter plumbed in feeding sockets.. and agree that with that sort of instal an RCD should be fitted..

Yes you may well get away with it and never be harmed. I regularly watch our catering crew throw buckets of water around our cooking ranges which are powered at 3 phase 440v and haven't had one of them die on me yet... Always thought there is a special god out there protecting them.... MY NAMES IS INSULATOR>>>> Possible Marvel Superhero movie in there somewhere??? If there is I want 10%....:D

However whether you like it or not even a 200W inverter does produce enough current to do you a serious mischief and as I can protect myself with a small cheap device, me I do it, and I seriously know and can quantify the risks. I have to assess those risks daily and I've never lost one of my crew yet. I also know how to monitor and check and maintain all the devices that might be attached to my inverter and where and when to use particular types of connector.
You personally don't want to fine..
but you advised the OP not to use one while not knowing what size of inverter he had in mind, knowing from his post he is not skilled in these matters nor where his extension leads might end up being used and that was not wise IMHO.
Right that's it from me on the subject, I've got a 6kV Propulsion motor to give a serious dose of looking at and that's what pays for my mohoing so I'd better get on with it...

Bye yáll:hi:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
@Steve

I was adding my comments on the OP jim. The number of large inverters that i see hanging on two wires is alarming. And anything that raises awareness of the dangers is good news. Of course this is only my opinion;)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Just to help a thicko here I have a Sterling B2B and a 1500w inverter which will max out at 3000w. I have wired up 2 short extension cables with inline RCD's in place. If I test the RCD's when the van is hooked up to the mains and I use a hab mains socket they shut off and I can reset them - fine and as one would expect.

My inverter is not wired to power the rest of the hab mains sockets.

When I use the inverter mains socket , if I test them, I cannot reset them after they shut off. Is this because there is no real or true earth? In simple terms what do I do about it?

The above is all fine and dandy but its a bit heavy for us non-electricians!

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
This is a fascinating thread, but I'm now bothered that my van (and the previous one I owned, also a Frankia) has no RCD on the mains hookup input. I'd previously believed that this was because an RCD would not work unless the van itself was grounded (literally) to the ground.

Should I be concerned and, if so, why are these quality vans supplied without an RCD?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
This is a fascinating thread, but I'm now bothered that my van (and the previous one I owned, also a Frankia) has no RCD on the mains hookup input. I'd previously believed that this was because an RCD would not work unless the van itself was grounded (literally) to the ground.

Should I be concerned and, if so, why are these quality vans supplied without an RCD?
Because the europeans largely rely on the rcd at the hook up post

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yours having no RCD it will have a double pole switch instead. Quite a simple job to fit an RCD alongside in most cases.
CA_02061419093340-L.jpg

CA_02061414332252-L.jpg

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
@Techno - Thanks for the information and link. I'll see how much room I've got on the distribution box, which is jammed with the 'Christmas tree' connections mentioned earlier.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Mine has an RCD and a double pole CB for the fridge and sockets..

it's original Hymer fit.. 2001 model

Because the europeans largely rely on the rcd at the hook up post

can't say I've seen RCDs on continental hook up posts.. not saying there are none, I've only ever seen CBs.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
They are not usually accessible same as Caravan club. The RCD is often behind a locked panel.
It would not be cost effective to have individual outlet protection

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
This example is rare as the only RCD protecting the whole cabinet is accessible
electric.jpg

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
I know I’m resurrecting an old thread but can you please tell me If the answer to the original question regarding fitting an RCD is essential or not? We have a 2000w pure Sinewave inverter in our van and I would appreciate a simple YES or NO answer as I cannot decipher all the technical talk so I just want to know for safety purposes if yes we do or no we don’t.

Thank you

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
If you route the supply from the inverter through your mains installation then all the sockets will work with the protection provided by your mains installation. I have not done this myself but VanBitz did it for me on my latest van when installing the inverter.

If you do not route through your mains installation then I bought and made RCD tails with the RCD plug on one end to go into the inverter and a 13am socket at the other end.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Skeggysue specifically asked for a Yes/No answer.
No can do without details of the installation.
It's not straightforward with inverters, the general census is yes but if the output is not grounded it won't work.

Ozric

Free Member
Jan 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
vw crafter
Just about to install an victron Phoenix 500 pure sine wave inverter for a designated socket.
haven’t got it yet, but was going to put a socket next to the unit with a very short cable. Alternatively wire it to the other end of the van.
If going for the longer route was looking at bonding neutral to earth within a spured rcd. Would the experts on here find this a safe option.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It would seem to me the safest option is for them that dont know,
Follow instructions on the inverter or
Leave it to them that do!

Reactions: DBK
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Just about to install an victron Phoenix 500 pure sine wave inverter for a designated socket.
haven’t got it yet, but was going to put a socket next to the unit with a very short cable. Alternatively wire it to the other end of the van.
If going for the longer route was looking at bonding neutral to earth within a spured rcd. Would the experts on here find this a safe option.
Which model of Phoenix you got? Ve direct or the earlier model?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back