Schnauzer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Hi All

Only had my MH ( peugeot boxer base) for a few days now and already booked in for the water ingress problem to be sorted as the engine block and components are already covered in rust.

I thought while it is going into Peugeot I would check to see if I have judder. I have checked in reverse on level ground and going up a hill. It does slightly judder when initially reversing then smooths out, to be honest if I had not read everything online about it I would have not really thought any more about it.

So my question is, how would you describe the judder if you have experienced it and any other tests I can do to try and make it do it ?

Thanks

Martin

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Judder

Our van only judders if we are on grass and even then it can be fine. Is your reverse gear too fast?. You might be advised to get on to your manufacture and log your case and get a Case Number. We have a Fiat chassis and our van is going in for the fix in October.Even if you are happy with it it could affect your resale value if not modified.

OP
OP
S

Schnauzer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
It is going in next month for the water ingress so will call them and mention the judder. Is it a big job they need to do for the mod and is it part of a recall?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Judder is not part of a recall. You have to complain first. I thought the scuttle water ingress issue had been resolved during the manufacturing process so your vehicle may not be as new as you think. There are lots of posts on these problems on the MMM site and the unmentionable one.

You must get it fixed. When you come to sell it the first question you should be asked is has the fix been done. If the answer is "No" then you might find it difficult to shift.

Remember that if problems occur after the warranty expires you could be in for very expensive repairs.

There are many examples of the gearbox and clutch breaking up on mileages as low as 1500. The fix consists of fitting a lower ratio reverse gear, stronger engine mounts and a tie bar.

It is a major job and your dealer may need the vehicle for 2 days. Try and find a dealer who has done the job before. I wouldn't want my vehicle to be used as a learning tool.

OP
OP
S

Schnauzer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Thanks Evans, I will call them now and tell them I have judder ( will they not only carry out the fix if it actually does it when they test it ? as I just reversed mine up a hill again and was really smooth) As for the scuttle water ingress issueI can confirm I looked at a '59 plate' at the dealers yesterday and that had not had the fix either. Mine is on a 58 plate but I think it came out the factory in 2007.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
If you have to ask then I suggest you don't, however not everyone would drive the way you do and 99.99% are affected so getting the upgrade done will improve the resale value. Good luck.

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
One final point. Make sure you get the second stage fix done. The first stage involves just the engine mounts and this DOES NOT WORK.

I am not sure how Peugeot are dealing with the problem but with Fiat some of those that go in for the scuttle (water ingress) fix are getting fobbed off with a botch fix which just involves covering the top of the engine with a waxoil type substance. Make sure they also include the engine cover which is available if you specifically ask.

Let us know how you get on.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
It sounds to me that your problem is hardly a judder compared to some, so you may not wish to have it done. With my research, i.e. asking people at sites and in car parks it seems that less than a third of vans are affected, this covers perhaps 40 odd owners.

Rgds
Bill

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
We must be speaking to different people. The only non judderer I've spoken to owned a 3 litre and even that juddered but he claimed to have mastered it through driving technique. Even the dealers and manufacturers at the recent Shepton Mallet show agreed (when pressed) that they juddered and said if I was concened I should order the automated Comfortmatic. It is now an acknowledged problem; that is why Fiat have been forced to deal with it through a major fix.

All new vehicles are now being fitted with a lower gear ratio but these won't feed there way through the motorhome supply chain until next Spring. If there was not a problem this would not have been done.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Most of the people I spoke to where on Fiat chassis's with Swift conversions, only a few said there was no judder, perhaps 3 or 4, but around 2/3 rds. of them were non-plussed about getting something done, i.e. not a big problem. They were all 130 multijet units.I have to say my judder was bad enough for me to get something done.

Rgds
Bill

OP
OP
S

Schnauzer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
I must admit, on speaking to other people over the weekend with Fiat's/Peugot's and looking at other forums it seems to be not everyone is suffering, like most things - only the people effected will post messages. Anyway, I have just called Peugot and they said they will test it when I bring it in for the water ingress problem to be sorted, so far they have been very helpful in returning calls and offering courtesy cars etc..

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Best of luck, as I have posted before my fix was 95% okay and I'm happy with it though I know not everyone has the same view.

Rgds
Bill

rolyk

Free Member
Oct 20, 2007
South Glos
Funster No
MH
Warwick Duo
Exp
Since 2007
If you have to ask then I suggest you don't, however not everyone would drive the way you do and 99.99% are affected so getting the upgrade done will improve the resale value. Good luck.

According to your statistics I must be the 1 person in 10,000 who is unaffected!

Whilst accepting that some vehicles do have the problem I suspect that the majority are ok. In the six months and 4000 miles since buying our X250 there hasn't been a hint of reversing judder. Which is more than I can say for our previous Mk6 Transit which shook its bones out reversing uphill on soft ground.

The article in the current Practical Motorhome gives a balanced view and is worth a read.

Roly

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We have no problem with out 3.0 X250 Fiat either.

We had a 2007 Transit before this van which was ok in reverse but hard work in First gear in slow traffic.

At the worst you can get a vibration if you labour it in reverse, but a few revs and it is no problem. I found the Transit would do the same along with the vans at work.

Richard...

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
water ingress and judder

Bought my Peugeot Boxer (Auto Sleeper Sigma) on 5 June (09 plate) but van is 2 yrs old. Demanded an engine cover when I bought it and Peugeot fitted it no problem. To date I have not had any judder and even tried it today on a slope outside my home. However Marquis said if I feel there is a problem to contact Customer Care and have it recorded.:thumb:

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
According to your statistics I must be the 1 person in 10,000 who is unaffected!

Whilst accepting that some vehicles do have the problem I suspect that the majority are ok. In the six months and 4000 miles since buying our X250 there hasn't been a hint of reversing judder. Which is more than I can say for our previous Mk6 Transit which shook its bones out reversing uphill on soft ground.

The article in the current Practical Motorhome gives a balanced view and is worth a read.

Roly

But fiat themselves have said there is a fault, except with the 3L version:Doh:. Even though i have had mine tested twice at two different dealers and twice it came back as positive in the juddering dept and they still tell me there is no probs with the 3L. The judder can happen at anytime.:Smile:

steve

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Schnauzer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Went out last night to look for a selection of hills and could not get any judder! When do most people find the judder starts in the life of their MH? I know some people had it from day one yet others it has started a while down the line. We have just 2K on the clock.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Mine had the judder when we arrived home from the dealer and I tried to reverse on to the drive. Sounds like you may have a 'not so bad' Fiat.

Good luck
Bill

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
I posted wrongly under the Fiat forum my vehicle is a May 2006 on the old shape and my clutch has just burnt out with 13000 miles on this had judder in reverse.:cry:

iain4702

Free Member
Sep 8, 2008
East Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Bill,I have A E560 which is now 14months old and my vehicle came with a black plastic rocker cover to overcome the water problem. The small amount of reverse gear judder is in my opinion not a big issue and not any worse tan my previous 2.8JTD

Regards Iain

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi All

Only had my MH ( peugeot boxer base) for a few days now and already booked in for the water ingress problem to be sorted as the engine block and components are already covered in rust.

So my question is, how would you describe the judder if you have experienced it and any other tests I can do to try and make it do it ?

Thanks

Martin

Hi Martin,

We have a 57 Autocruise on a boxer and Alco Chassis. The first time we experienced the judder was at Stratford show in 2008. We had to park up a grassy slope with the Funsters and we certainly juddered reversing and the smell of the clutch was quite strong.

We reported the judder to Peugeot Customer Care - you need to speak to Darren Moore - and they will then ask you to take the vehicle to a Peugeot dealer. We took ours to Robins and Day in Sheffield. I understand that Peugeot sent an assessor to look at the problem and they then gave the go ahead to the dealer. At first we were told that there was a shortage of parts in UK, but everything was completed in 3 weeks and we are very pleased.

We have had the full engine cover fitted free by Peugeot and last month we had a new gearbox, Flywheel and Clutch fitted under warranty. There is a big difference between the way Fiat and Peugeot are dealing with the judder problem.

Even if you are not yet experiencing problems with your vehicle, it is best to have it checked out, particularly if it is running out of warranty!

Another point, make sure your dealer agrees to grease the Alco chassis (see Alco service book)

Ginny and Mike

OP
OP
S

Schnauzer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Thanks Ginny and Mike

Just got mine back today, they have fitted the cover under the bonnet and done to software update. They reversed up several hills with me and zero judder! I have about 12 months warranty left so I think I will see how it goes. Since my first post I have spoken to quite alot of people with both the fiat and peugeot chassis and none of them have judder, some did not even know it exists!

If this problem existed before the internet was invented I wonder if things would be different?

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
My 2007 2.3 X2/50 (don't ya just luv numbers!) juddered so bad that OH could see it from outside!

Anyway, after nagging Fiat for 2 years I am finally getting the full fix done at this very moment.

It is very important to register any problems during the warranty period, as once registered Fiat will honour the warrantied problem even after their warranty has run out.

To Fiat's credit, my Fiat warranty ran out in April and they have honoured their pledge to fix the judder problem.

I also have to give much credit to Adams Morey of Portsmouth for bending Fiats ear and getting the parts reallocated to my vehicle and calling in the van at the first opportunity.

OP
OP
S

Schnauzer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
As a fellow Southerner, I would also like to praise Peugeot Hamble Motors in Southampton, They have offered to get the go ahead for the main fix but I am in two minds of what to do as I don't have any judder (yet)

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
The judder can happen at anytime.

Hi ,
Do I have the judder !
Am new to this juddering problem having bought a 2008 Autotrail with the 160bhp Fiat engine.
Is there some sort of definitive test I can carry out to find out if I have the probelm with my MH.

Thanks

Averhamdave

Free Member
Oct 19, 2008
Nr Newark, Notts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
6 years (25yrs tugging!)
Its a conspiracy theory put about by Merc and supported by people who can't drive:winky:

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Hi ,
Do I have the judder !
Am new to this juddering problem having bought a 2008 Autotrail with the 160bhp Fiat engine.
Is there some sort of definitive test I can carry out to find out if I have the probelm with my MH.

Thanks

Yep. Load up the van as if you were going away and find the steepest hill you can. Now reverse up it if you can, then report back here.:Eeek:

steve

pete the pub

Free Member
Sep 8, 2009
shropshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I have a 12 month old Peugeot 3ltr that after 5500 miles the clutch went completly:Angry:. I reported there was a fault when I had done about 4000 miles Robins and day in Bristol checked the clutch said that it was ok and there had not been any problems with this clutch or gear box:Angry:
So I went of to France and Spain 1500 miles later the clutch went Spanish dealer charged me 600 euros to have it fixed said it was wear and tear:whatthe:
Peugeot UK dont want to know they say it is all my fault:whatthe:
If you take into consideration 75% of the time I was on a motorway of some kind and using the auto cruise I must be a very bad driver to knacker the clutch.
Any one else had a similar problem.
Thanks Peter

ianj

Free Member
Dec 1, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Judder

It is not correct to state that the first fix DOES NOT WORK. This is obviously well meant but such a general comment can be missleading. My vehicle had only slight judder in the first place and the stiffer engine mounts and new tie bar cured it, it does not now judder. They are all different, some have no judder, some slight, somje severe. The fix should be applied as appropriate.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back