Do I have judder?

Discussion in 'Peugeot' started by Schnauzer, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Schnauzer

Schnauzer Read Only Funster

Hi All

Only had my MH ( peugeot boxer base) for a few days now and already booked in for the water ingress problem to be sorted as the engine block and components are already covered in rust.

I thought while it is going into Peugeot I would check to see if I have judder. I have checked in reverse on level ground and going up a hill. It does slightly judder when initially reversing then smooths out, to be honest if I had not read everything online about it I would have not really thought any more about it.

So my question is, how would you describe the judder if you have experienced it and any other tests I can do to try and make it do it ?

Thanks

Martin

2. SteveandSue

SteveandSue Funster

Judder

Our van only judders if we are on grass and even then it can be fine. Is your reverse gear too fast?. You might be advised to get on to your manufacture and log your case and get a Case Number. We have a Fiat chassis and our van is going in for the fix in October.Even if you are happy with it it could affect your resale value if not modified.

3. Schnauzer

It is going in next month for the water ingress so will call them and mention the judder. Is it a big job they need to do for the mod and is it part of a recall?

4. evans88

evans88 Read Only Funster

Judder is not part of a recall. You have to complain first. I thought the scuttle water ingress issue had been resolved during the manufacturing process so your vehicle may not be as new as you think. There are lots of posts on these problems on the MMM site and the unmentionable one.

You must get it fixed. When you come to sell it the first question you should be asked is has the fix been done. If the answer is "No" then you might find it difficult to shift.

Remember that if problems occur after the warranty expires you could be in for very expensive repairs.

There are many examples of the gearbox and clutch breaking up on mileages as low as 1500. The fix consists of fitting a lower ratio reverse gear, stronger engine mounts and a tie bar.

It is a major job and your dealer may need the vehicle for 2 days. Try and find a dealer who has done the job before. I wouldn't want my vehicle to be used as a learning tool.

5. Schnauzer

Thanks Evans, I will call them now and tell them I have judder ( will they not only carry out the fix if it actually does it when they test it ? as I just reversed mine up a hill again and was really smooth) As for the scuttle water ingress issueI can confirm I looked at a '59 plate' at the dealers yesterday and that had not had the fix either. Mine is on a 58 plate but I think it came out the factory in 2007.

6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

If you have to ask then I suggest you don't, however not everyone would drive the way you do and 99.99% are affected so getting the upgrade done will improve the resale value. Good luck.

7. evans88

One final point. Make sure you get the second stage fix done. The first stage involves just the engine mounts and this DOES NOT WORK.

I am not sure how Peugeot are dealing with the problem but with Fiat some of those that go in for the scuttle (water ingress) fix are getting fobbed off with a botch fix which just involves covering the top of the engine with a waxoil type substance. Make sure they also include the engine cover which is available if you specifically ask.

Let us know how you get on.

8. WillH

WillH Funster

It sounds to me that your problem is hardly a judder compared to some, so you may not wish to have it done. With my research, i.e. asking people at sites and in car parks it seems that less than a third of vans are affected, this covers perhaps 40 odd owners.

Rgds
    Bill

9. evans88

We must be speaking to different people. The only non judderer I've spoken to owned a 3 litre and even that juddered but he claimed to have mastered it through driving technique. Even the dealers and manufacturers at the recent Shepton Mallet show agreed (when pressed) that they juddered and said if I was concened I should order the automated Comfortmatic. It is now an acknowledged problem; that is why Fiat have been forced to deal with it through a major fix.

All new vehicles are now being fitted with a lower gear ratio but these won't feed there way through the motorhome supply chain until next Spring. If there was not a problem this would not have been done.

10. WillH

WillH Funster

Most of the people I spoke to where on Fiat chassis's with Swift conversions, only a few said there was no judder, perhaps 3 or 4, but around 2/3 rds. of them were non-plussed about getting something done, i.e. not a big problem. They were all 130 multijet units.I have to say my judder was bad enough for me to get something done.

Rgds
    Bill

11. Schnauzer

I must admit, on speaking to other people over the weekend with Fiat's/Peugot's and looking at other forums it seems to be not everyone is suffering, like most things - only the people effected will post messages. Anyway, I have just called Peugot and they said they will test it when I bring it in for the water ingress problem to be sorted, so far they have been very helpful in returning calls and offering courtesy cars etc..

12. WillH

WillH Funster

Best of luck, as I have posted before my fix was 95% okay and I'm happy with it though I know not everyone has the same view.

Rgds
    Bill

13. rolyk

rolyk Funster

According to your statistics I must be the 1 person in 10,000 who is unaffected!

Whilst accepting that some vehicles do have the problem I suspect that the majority are ok. In the six months and 4000 miles since buying our X250 there hasn't been a hint of reversing judder. Which is more than I can say for our previous Mk6 Transit which shook its bones out reversing uphill on soft ground.

The article in the current Practical Motorhome gives a balanced view and is worth a read.

Roly

14. RichardnGill

RichardnGill Read Only Funster

We have no problem with out 3.0 X250 Fiat either.

We had a 2007 Transit before this van which was ok in reverse but hard work in First gear in slow traffic.

At the worst you can get a vibration if you labour it in reverse, but a few revs and it is no problem. I found the Transit would do the same along with the vans at work.

Richard...

15. geoff1947

geoff1947 Read Only Funster

water ingress and judder

Bought my Peugeot Boxer (Auto Sleeper Sigma) on 5 June (09 plate) but van is 2 yrs old. Demanded an engine cover when I bought it and Peugeot fitted it no problem. To date I have not had any judder and even tried it today on a slope outside my home. However Marquis said if I feel there is a problem to contact Customer Care and have it recorded.:thumb:

16. chigman

chigman Read Only Funster

But fiat themselves have said there is a fault, except with the 3L version:Doh:. Even though i have had mine tested twice at two different dealers and twice it came back as positive in the juddering dept and they still tell me there is no probs with the 3L. The judder can happen at anytime.:Smile:

steve

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  17. Schnauzer

Went out last night to look for a selection of hills and could not get any judder! When do most people find the judder starts in the life of their MH? I know some people had it from day one yet others it has started a while down the line. We have just 2K on the clock.

18. WillH

WillH Funster

Mine had the judder when we arrived home from the dealer and I tried to reverse on to the drive. Sounds like you may have a 'not so bad' Fiat.

Good luck
    Bill

19. chigman

chigman Read Only Funster

HI

Mine too juddered from day one. It's still juddering strong after just over two years of ownership.:Mad::Eek!:

steve

20. Sweet Chariot

Sweet Chariot Read Only Funster

I posted wrongly under the Fiat forum my vehicle is a May 2006 on the old shape and my clutch has just burnt out with 13000 miles on this had judder in reverse.:cry: