Do I have a faulty radio or finger trouble? (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't give up on DAB, we get a good DAB signal and the sound quality is so much better than FM, never use FM now, even the clock radio by the bed at home is DAB.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That's why I'm very disappointed that DAB doesn't work on the MH.

The antenna is far more important for DAB reception. In your car it will have been designed for the job and be to exactly the right spec.

In your motorhome, whether it's manufacturer fit or aftermarket, it will have some sort of off the shelf generic antenna which will never be as good. In mine I had it changed later and so the antenna is a windscreen mount one. It's by no means perfect but it's far better than the FM only one. The head unit does something clever where it finds the FM signal for whatever DAB station I'm listening to and automatically switches between DAB and FM depending on which is strongest.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
But as Daniel has found, a lot of motorhome builders simply cut the coax ! ( I have not had this on any of my own vans but have seen it a couple of times on some older Swifts )
And some newer Swifts, ours is 2011. I forgot to mention, the radio solution I used was to fit a splitter unit to our CB aerial, however in the van, we rarely listen to the radio, our daughter chooses the music from the ipad in the back, much to the chagrin of my wife! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

David&Barbara

Free Member
Oct 11, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Lo Profile
Exp
We are newbies
Don't give up on DAB, we get a good DAB signal and the sound quality is so much better than FM, never use FM now, even the clock radio by the bed at home is DAB.
That's why started the thread. I only wish I could get the DAB working.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@David&Barbara I feel awful about this, because I was one of those extolled the virtues of that van.

Although I've got the same vehicle (albeit a year or so older) my aerial is on the N/S roof. It's one of those helically-wound stub aerials. Haven't got DAB, but my radio works fine on FM and AM.

Not much help I'm afraid, but from the symptoms, it def sounds like an aerial fault.

OP
OP
D

David&Barbara

Free Member
Oct 11, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Lo Profile
Exp
We are newbies
@David&Barbara I feel awful about this, because I was one of those extolled the virtues of that van.

Although I've got the same vehicle (albeit a year or so older) my aerial is on the N/S roof. It's one of those helically-wound stub aerials. Haven't got DAB, but my radio works fine on FM and AM.

Not much help I'm afraid, but from the symptoms, it def sounds like an aerial fault.
Hi Wingman,
Please don't feel bad, at the end of the day I was asking for peoples opinions and as they say "One mans meat is another mans poison" There are several issues with the van that are being "delt with" if you know what I mean.
Maybe on the lookout for a decent motorhome in the near future ;)
Now there's a new thread :LOL:
Cheers
David

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back