Do Germans Haggle?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Bacchus, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

I have been bitten by the MoHo bug and am considering upgrading my Hymer (in some ways I don't know why, I love its retro looks and the overall quality and it has proved itself to be very reliable, but I can't get the fridge to work on gas, I can't get the heater to heat, and am not confident of my abilities to strip either of those out to repair. A caravan repair man told me that it would be about fourteen hundred pounds plus fitting to replace them, add to that the cost of updating the upholstery to keep 'er 'indoors happy, and I need to spend three to four thousand pounds that I will never see again, fine if keeping it for another three or four years, but I am starting to look and these things snowball, so my thinking is newer and shinier with working equipment may be a better investment, and I would quite like an auto...)

My budget would be around £15-20k if I get a reasonable price for the 544 which seems to be an awkward price point. Full of "immaculate" older vans like mine (overpriced imho), or tired newer vans which may not turn out to be any better than the 544, so following comments read on Fun I have had a look at mobile.de and it does seem that you can get a lot more bang for your buck, but one thing that I don't understand is do Germans Haggle?

I am a fairly compulsive haggler, if I look at pretty much anything for sale I view the asking price as a starting price for negotiation, I assume that it's the same in Germany, but have never bought more than a beer or a meal there, and I don't usually haggle over those...

any opinions or experience?

2. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

in one word YES:)

unless it is a rare sort after model in short supply

Say there are plenty on mobile.de all you can do is start a conversation, then start making offers, get a shortlist together and take it from there.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

Cheers, thanks @Judgemental, I kind of assumed that, but nice to hear it from one who knows.

I have a good German friend who can translate anything and help with negotiations but didn't want to ask her first in case she isn't one of life's hagglers (mind you she was an accounts exec for Dell so I'd be surprised, although some ferocious business people can be quite timid in their private dealings)

Not looking for anything rare, the less rare the better! If it has a Hymer/Bessacar/Dethleffs badge it will suit me (y)

4. Judge Mental

rarely will you need translation, most dealers have at least one salesperson fluent in English and export. If they dont try elsewhere. My knowledge really based on new/nearly new. older used vans have there own difficulties obviously. Also as price diminishes as van gets older wiggle room disappears. so be realistic :)

Eddie

5. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Nein. Zey have vays to make you pay.

6. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

my middle name is realistic :cool: (it's just spelt j-o-h-n)

Ah, yeah, EU subsidies and fake mpg claims, but in the short term I was just thinking of buying a van...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Leftlegger

Leftlegger Funster

I can also confirm haggling is alive and well in germany.When you find what you like have a look and make notes of all the bad points as you do,there will be some surely?hit them with a ridiculous low offer and see how you get on.I got 3000 euros off mine this year from a dealer.With the euro rate as good as it is you're on a win win situation.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Judge Mental

To put the reduction in context, what was the value of van please.....

Good time of year to get a deal on a stock van....

9. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

Hi @Judgemental, you seem to be in the know here! I have made tentative enquiries about a van, and was quoted 450 Euros for export plates, seems a little steep to me, but would that be about right?

10. Judge Mental

A bit steep...have never payed more then approx 250. But it may be the insurance element gone up.....how many days is it valid for ?

11. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

I will ask...

12. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Plenty of haggling in evidence at the large Munich flea market I visited in the spring.

In fact I went on a one day crash course in German beforehand, learned how to count, and learnt the German for 'perhaps?' (vielleicht) - came in very handy.

• Like Like x 2
  13. bellabee

bellabee Funster

We recently paid just short of 250 Euros, with 2 weeks' insurance.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

unt just how much do you vish to haggle so I know how much to inflate zee price by in zee verst place

15. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

Indeed. I assume that this is what everyone does which is why I consider an asking price to be a starting point, although I have met some who don't.

Alles gut.

16. Leftlegger

Leftlegger Funster

Hymer Tramp 655 GT down to 26000 from 29000 Euros,£18,840 at the going rate of the hour/date through Hi FX

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

Sweet

and a sweet exchange rate!

18. Judge Mental

Just a thought......@Bacchus what age is the van your looking at. Make sure it comes with COC (certificat of conformity) or else you will have trouble registering it once you get it home....

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

the one I am interested in is a 2003 - I have asked twice for CoC...

• Like Like x 1