Do all new Motorhmes have faults?? (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Very happy with our German built Globecar Globescout............. the only issue we have had since new (and now 25000 miles and 2 years on) has been two replacement sets of the little rubber grommets that hold the saucepan supports in place on the hob, and a couple of locker door hinges that needed a little re-adjustment (y)

We love our van :D

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Thanks, more pics tomorrow ;)
Wow 425 night ! in our dreams. Work gets in the way for now.
And yes we're keeping "pug" till he rusts away. So plenty sleeps in him!

Oct 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadcruiser PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Blooming heck. You must do. 25k in 2 years ! That's some going.

We've got a Possl Roadcruiser (sister brand to Globecar) that's done 21k miles in 18 months, with another 3k about to happen over Easter. We've also had to replace cooker ring grommets, but apart from that, minimal problems since we first got it. The Truma boiler gave up after the journey back from the German dealer - turned out to be a trapped wire which was shorting out. Truma paid to fix it.

The only other problem was a leaky water tank - the securing strap was loose and it was moving around the joint to the drain valve, allowing water to run under the floor and out by the sliding door. Easily fixed once diagnosed.

It's dead easy to drive, very comfortable, and used 1 litre of oil in its first 21k miles. Just had it serviced for the first time before our next trip, and the biggest hit to the wallet was the Fiat fuel filter at around £100 - robbers! Other than that, boringly reliable (touch wood).

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
Very happy with our German built Globecar Globescout............. the only issue we have had since new (and now 25000 miles and 2 years on) has been two replacement sets of the little rubber grommets that hold the saucepan supports in place on the hob, and a couple of locker door hinges that needed a little re-adjustment (y)

I'd love to know where you got those from, as that is the only thing that has 'gone wrong' on our three year old TEC (another German).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Knockinonabit must be grinding his teeth reading this thread.. He had a list of about 5 million faults on his new van !!
Our Autotrail was" spot on". The hab door flyscreen tensioning strings snapped and the fridge exhaust was at the wrong angle, so burnt the outer grille surround... Both rectified under warranty (new hab flyscreenscreen and grille surround) by Simpsons of Gt Yarmouth no problem..
I hope all you folks awaiting your new vans are as lucky.. (y)

Oct 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadcruiser PVC
Exp
Since 2011
I'd love to know where you got those from, as that is the only thing that has 'gone wrong' on our three year old TEC (another German).

Try here

Google Smev grommets and you'll get quite a few hits.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few minor snagging points but nothing really major. The piezo igniter went in the oven but I really cant be bothered to replace it. The wardrobe rail pulled through its support...too much on it I expect!!!!! One of the drawer knobs works when it feels like ....easily fixed. otherwise very happy and packing for our ski holiday next week :)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We bought a new Autotrail Apache last year and have to say we have had more faults both serious and minor with this motorhome than the two previous models put together.

The biggest shame is with the builder as most of the faults were found within days of owning it, why on earth were`t they picked up in their quality control checks.
Clearly they don`t have any quality control, it`s left up to the dealer to find and sort out these faults.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Nothing wrong for the first year, except those things that were my fault - driving away with the electric lead in!

Then only the kitchen sink drain pipe coming adrift at a joint, bit of water around but fixed immediately under warranty!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988

This sums up this thread.

Some people regard the above as minor, or teething problems, as would I, while others would claim that two lots of problems with the cooker top, (why couldn't it be fixed the first time or be delivered fault free?), and ill fitting locker door hinges unacceptable on a M/ H costing £xxxxxxxxx.

Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
I am taking delivery of a new van in the next month or so, I do expect to find a few minor problems with the van. Their are so many parts in a new van you are bound to fine some (Hopefully minor problems) But I would expect any major problems to be picked up either in the factory or during PDI.

I dont believe any van from any manufacturer would come out of the factory 100% perfect. Some people will find faults that other people would miss. It all depends on how hard you look and what you would class as a fault.

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Our bathroom door handle fell off , just put it back on and tightened grub screw . one small design faux pas , the n/s mirror wide angle bit is obscured by the window blind housing , I may remove it . ( the blind , not the mirror ! :doh: ). Any more faults will be duly reported . our van is an Adria .

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
very very pleased with our Adria Coral... 3 years old now and not a blip of any kind.

on time for delivery.
great handover from dealer.
no issues not even a small one.

thats not to say there are 1 or 2 things that we would change if we could;
e.g.
the work tops are shiny charcoal colour so show smears when wiped with a damp cloth.
the dinnet extra bed is a pain to put up. ( but we use it about 1 week a year )

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User

I see an answer has already been posted. All I did was ring the dealer and he put them in the post (y)

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
One more , the pre wiring for the lounge speakers was wired up wrong ,traced it back and rewired a junction block . if these are my only problems , I'll be happy .

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Our 2009 new autocruise starspirit had so many problems with it that we dont even think that it was p.d.i 'd by the dealer prior to handover. Inexcusable!
They were'nt just annoying little things either, they were major habitational issues which made the camper unusable.
We had to drive it back up to Essex from Dorset and demand that they put everything right before we accepted it again. We gave them 2 weeks and thankfully they then got it right. (Why risk losing a potential repeat customer you might ask, but they certainly lost one in me.)

Bad workmanship by Swift/Autocruise.
Bad customer care and service by the dealer ...

Incidentally, there didnt seem to be any Assocoation or Body interested in the problems and our protection. The Trade press were obviosuly never going to publish any complaint letters against a major advertiser. Such is the power of reduced competition.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Only had one new motorhome current one) but had 7 new caravans. 2 of the vans were perfect and developed no faults through our ownership (3 to 4 years each) both of those were Adrias, All other 5 (Bailey, Swift, Abbey) had many faults most of which had to go back to dealer (broken bed slats, bed slats not fitted, heater not working, battery charger u/s etc). Current motorhome (Elddis) looking good and about to go for first service.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back