Do all motorhomes have there faults?please do tell (1 Viewer)

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
over the next few weeks have a good look round your motorhome.
get underneath is if you can ?? whats the script with motorhomes or in my case an auto trail 2001 shower tray is like mega thin,, god help it if someone was over 14 stones and stood on it to have a riddle,
also underneath , left and right of the spare wheel its marine ply untreated used for my marine batterys storage, roton angle iron everywhere if now treated buy should be galvanised or well treated on build.. come on as customers its not much to ask for well undersealed bodywork,
bin theold two leav spring rear suspension, replace heavy duty,,
now iv found a leak around the gas fire roof outtake flue,, sorted it today,
small factory fitted rubber collar seal its simply shite and not good enough , these vans are traveling all over the place in all weathers ,
just changed completely front brake system with pipes and brake system.
back hubs,drums,bearings,calipers ,
sorted leak from up,pipe on roof ,nightmare because thats the flattest point in roof thats where the decided to put up-pipe?? stupid or what.
it stupid because its to close to the upturn of the fibreglass edge roof has slight angle and rubber dosnt sit and seal flat---option to fix this increase with better rubber sleeve seal,then seal with sealent,:thumb:

still to do.. totally seal under body clean any rust and rust protect then seal...
also stupid badly enameled door frame and white metal work has peeled back to they alloy , my opinion is that the undercoat or prepping for enamel was not done correctly , clean hang powdercoat and ovan ,,job done , auto trail factory should know this is simple practice ,,
quality control and materials used i would say as an engineer is shocking , time scale from new to looking shit 5 winters and summers or 35k miles.
so again if your having a good look round your motorhome sort it all out before it really eats up your money and your time...

I ' like everyone bought this m/home to detach myself from the city every friday however this weekend GRRRR under over sorting this out,,
always something,,, once iv added everything possible a motorhome can have which iv just about done this ,somethings sitting yet to be fitted
then the time will come to part with this van,,, it will all have been done
nothing more will go wrong and it will yes it will look the dogz bollox,,,
gona go for a 2005-2008 deathleff or hymer or something big solid and all the gizmos and gadgets ,,,,, :Angry:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
If you're asking after the existence of a motorhome without any issues I'm certain you'll be left wanting.

If owners are "hands on" they find and fix faults often without going back to the dealer.

If owners are not "hands on" they must be regulars at the dealer's workshop.

Me? I've never been back despite some pretty major issues. I don't hold my dealer in very high regard.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I got a ammer a screwdriver, gaffer tape an loads of sealer:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If you plan to buy Hymer or Dethleffs, I would second that, but my advice would be to buy a Hymer that is no younger than 2005/6 model year, before they went for the tear-drop headlamps on A (B) class. The earlier ones are better built in my opinion.

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
Do all motorhomes have there faults

Hi, We loolked for two years before buying ours,we had it undersealed and built to our spec, after four years and 30k the only problem is the main fuse bourd dropped its earth so no 12v or electric,but my son fixed it with a very small bit of electric cable aand two connectors cost 50p,but we do have a hab check every year done by the selling dealer IH CAMPERS and the mercedes service for the motor side,most of our travels include Europe about five times a year,so you pays your money and get value for it,but a lot of the motorhomes we looked at we would not buy as they are built to a price and that is cheap rubbish and do not last without problems,so it looks like we done our honework.regards H::bigsmile:

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
With respect, my 2012 Hymer A Class with teardrop headlamps, has been absolutely fine for the 18000 miles it has completed in 18 months and is still as good as it was when it left the factory. The only fault being an earth related to Fiat. I understand that Hymer had some quality issues around 2006-2008 whilst they became familiar with using modern materials and construction methods, the same applies to the marine industry. Simply to say that all new Hymer's are not as good as the old ones is imho misguided and misleading.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
I think that most motorhomes will have some minor and major faults, fail to meet everyone's mechanical expectations, ideal layout and fittings etc.
At the end of the day I get far more positives from my motorhome than I do negatives. They are, at the end of the day, very complex bits of kit and with most sophisticated things they are prone to issues.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Towards the end of last year I had to sort out issues with 3 newish Hymers and a FEW later Swifts.

All in built faults I am afraid.. All easily sorted but I would have to agree with JeanLuc.

Of course there are good and bad in all marques and the chances are you will get a better rather than poor unit

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back