DIY through the roof WiFi in pictures (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Very good John, I'm sure it won't be detrimental but the Status foam gasket is supposed to be used without sealant.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Andy, if it shows any signs in a year or so I can cut a new one, just wanted a good tight seal. Very pleased with result, just need to get away now and play with it. I'm also looking at one of these:

This has better db gain than the current one. I will update here my finding if I can get one for tests.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Whats the benefit of using this rather than a mifi or is this some sort of mifi? Thanks

I had one of these but gave it away, I now just use my iPhone tethered to my laptop which I find sufficient for browsing. OK I know its not wifi but I am not so sure I need wifi any longer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Update 3: Final.

We thought we would try out the place recommended by Phil J. as we are keen walkers and not being far from us worth a look: Broken Link Removed
Now on arrival I asked about wifi and was informed yes it's free only in the bar/restaurant area and 5 euro's a day around the park!!!!!!! Well time to test the new "outside" system I fitted about a week ago.
Went to bar and got the wifi "password" and tested it on iPhone around bar and true enough range was around 5 metres. Walked back to MH distance in straight line is 243 metres. Fired up TV, Box for Sky UK ( Dreambox 500S ) and Router ( http://www.motorhomewifi.com ) and of course Sat dish. Logged into router look for bar/restaurant signal, found it and logged in......... Scanned Satellite and receiving 520 channels most requiring sky card ( not a problem for me, but thats another story ) and many "free sat" like channel4 ITV Ireland, but no BBC channels ( not worried ). Wifi working a treat, Skype, emails etc ( saving 5 euro's / 3.90 quid a day ). PERFECT.
Worth the time and effort YES.
Photo's:
roof1.jpg

Distance:
bar.jpg

Signal:
roof2.jpg

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I have same unit as Andy (Techno 100) but having problems getting it to run on new windows 8.1 laptop. I emailed Faculty X where i bought it, and they sent me link for new drivers

I sent him photos of the innards and got this:

"That looks like the ralink so you need the RT307X driver for windows machines from here:

Broken Link Removed"

have installed drivers but cant open it on laptop. sometimes the config box appears for a second and disappears. and laptop beeps all the time as if trying to connect......has anyone got an idea plse :censored:

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
First time abroad since this project and without doubt I would be struggling to connect if it wasn't for the height advantage.
I also discovered with the help of FUN topics the answer to why I could not initially get an SFR FON log in page
This was due to a clash of LAN address
and now that I've revised mine to the one pictured it connects immediately.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
never mind the internet,,what happened to the Milf from earlier posts, is she still being connected to by 5 devices ?.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Hi Andy, nice job! The router in your pic. Is it the Alpha r36? Will it work with any USB Ralink antenna do you know? Did you have to update firmware?

Dick

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It is the original one that Motorhome wifi sold and is still sold in @Jim 's shop. The instructions will say what is suitable but not got them to hand just now.

EDIT any usb aerial with
  • Ralink RT3070L Chipset

The router used to be sold with an optional cigarette lighter supply but I discovered those are only 9 volts and often the router did not like it. Since I cut the plug off and connected straight to battery voltage it has been fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
This is our last night in France and the only place I could not get a good FON connection was at a remote spot/car park/aire on Il de Re that was surrounded by tall trees and all the buildings are bungalows. Even the mobile phone tower is disguised as a frikin tree :LOL:
Pre roof antenna the only success I had last year was walking the streets with an iPad
So pending free roaming across europe on your contract this is a winner! looking forwards to Germany in September (y)
Yes this is a telecoms tower @ (Les Portes-en-Re)
image.jpg

Here at Saint-Malo
image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
FYI
This has now been through atrocious weather and two winters with no ill effect.
Unless you plan on submersing it it IS waterproof.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I have one of the 2512 USB aerials techno the same as yours, never been used but after coming across this thread am thinking of using it. But what router/extender can I use with it? I know I can plug it directly into my computor, but I want to be able to use it all round the motorhome. Any ideas.
It doesnt have a built in router. What makes you think that?
http://www.motorhomeplanet.co.uk/archives/5086
wifi3-XL.jpg

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Thanks Andy, already bought the plastic pole and roof gland. :)
Now bought that repeater.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Just for you matey
http://www.yachtingsoftware.com/usb...GbCRvU77n0u9fSGkedxXLdhbPXX3cdCT8TxoCFWDw_wcB

That is what motorhomewifi originally sold with that antenna and until recently was sold in @Jim shop
If you copy the theme of this thread you will have wifi access as good as anything else on the market. If you look at their new products you'll see that going through the roof is the way to go as if I didn't know :LOL:
Or if you don't want to go through the roof, do what I did, but an aluminium window cleaner 3 tier pole and fasten it to tow bar. I also installed a waterproof RJ45 box under the MH which is linked to the router inside the MH so I simply plug it in and can twist the pole 360 degrees to get the best reception :)

image.jpeg

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
May have a problem Andy, the roof gland only allows for a 50mm thick roof, I think mine is thicker than that, I have a figure of 75mm in my head from when I fitted the maxwell sat. But that was 8-9 years ago so I could be totally wrong. :D I will have to measure one of the roof vents.
The plastic tube seems quite a tight fit so could I dispense with the locking nut? If indeed it is thicker, that would give me enough.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Andy is semi-responsible for inspiring me to produce a retail version of this, which we called the iBoost Connect.

Unfortunately, it does cost a fair bit more then a home brew with almost none of the satisfaction of creating your own thing, but will suit those who want an off the shelf solution. I might actually break even on the tooling cost if I'm lucky :whistle:

We do it as a full kit with a roof foot and also as a retro-fit into an existing 'Status' type TV antenna if yours is redundant through having a Satellite TV system installed.

BROKEN LINK

I do like the telescopic mast though @dspsuk999 !

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Andy is semi-responsible for inspiring me to produce a retail version of this, which we called the iBoost Connect.

Unfortunately, it does cost a fair bit more then a home brew with almost none of the satisfaction of creating your own thing, but will suit those who want an off the shelf solution. I might actually break even on the tooling cost if I'm lucky :whistle:

We do it as a full kit with a roof foot and also as a retro-fit into an existing 'Status' type TV antenna if yours is redundant through having a Satellite TV system installed.

BROKEN LINK

I do like the telescopic mast though @dspsuk999 !
Thanks @Addie. I was inspired by @Techno but wanted the added benefit of more height. The wire passes down the centre of the pole and with it fully extended gives me enough to the plug into the waterproof RJ45 box fitted under the van which in turn is routed into the van to the router. Granted I have to fasten it to the tow ball in all weather but there has not been a place where I have not been able to pick up a wifi signal when fully extended (y)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
The AR 3000 was delivered today, got it home and fired it up, all good then decided to do a speed test and compare with my lappy connected to our Vigin Wifi and connected to our Virgin wifi via the AR and usb aerial. Heck of a difference, Download on our wifi was 55Mb, download via the AR was around 2.5Mb, upload was almost the same at 3Mb. Tried it several times and results were similar each time.

Anyone else done a speed test?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back