DIY SOG info needed

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jaws, May 7, 2014.

1. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Gonna fit a SOG on the new van..
    But what is and where can I get the right angle attachment that the pipe goes on, on top of the tank ?

2. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

It comes with the kit

3. Techno

Last edited: May 7, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Very funny ... Git !!! LOL !!! :BigGrin:

I aint paying another £90 for a muff fan, microswitch, 50cm washing machine drain pipe a jubilee clip and a cover !!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

6. Techno

I hope you'll do us all a guide with piccies :thumb: :Cool:

7. Techno

To be fair if I had designed and put the SOG into production myself I would charge the prices they do.
    I am however all in favour of DIY as you know and copying is the best form of flattery :thumb:

8. Techno

BTW
    If I were to embark on such a mission I think I would adopt the Through the floor or roof method :thumb:

9. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Will not know for sure which Way I will go at the moment but like you, I am not looking to go through the door.. I am hoping to go through the floor but will figure it out when I get the van home

So far, I have the fan ( 80mm ), the pipe and microswitch and will order a couple of the widgets as I have done a deal for a second tank now

To be fair to SOG, I did buy and have them fit the one on our existing fan.. But the guy who fitted it made a right mess of the tank door.. Put a big scratch right across it ( looks like the screwdriver slipped ) and instead of just saying sorry, he swore he had not done it !!
    If that had not happened they would now be getting another £110 off me, but once bitten and all that

Last edited: May 8, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  10. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Hi John, our SOG is connected to the large yellow cap on the spout so you don't actually have to touch the cassette. The plastic angle piece on the flexy tube basically just pushes into a grommet drilled into the cap.

For emptying I pull the pipe out of the grommet and have a plug which fills the hole to prevent spillage while carrying the cassette. I also carry a spare cap incase of problems.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Terry

Terry Funster

Morning John, I have a couple of posts on a DIY sog showing exactly what to do with pics posted on here :thumb:A bath overflow pipe fits straight onto the cassette :thumb:and the flex pipe works fine -the hardest job is positioning the micro switch ,but that was overcome by super glueing in place then screwing :thumb:-total cost was a couple of cups of coffee :thumb::BigGrin:-Search for SOG in my posts -if no luck I will post all the picks again later --BTW I have a new complete SOG kit that I picked up off car boot sale for a fiver :Smile:-I am cleaning/clearing the part of the garage out today that has all the parts for a Sog DIY I can send it to you if you want -Fan pipe with at least one overflow end on and Micro switch also a 4 ins surface mount BBox to house fan in -not sure where the filter stuff is but I used from a cooker hood Don't have a blanking plate for the face of BB though but come Sunday I can beg one off a mate :BigGrin::thumb:
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  12. Terry

Terry Funster

Here's the pics John

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Terry

Terry Funster

a couple more

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

This may be of interest to people, I have the Thetford C250 toilet and it has its own type of SOG unit fitted, you can buy a kit from Thetford if yours didn't come already fitted,
    I decided to improve its operation in as much as you are expected to press the fan button manually first before opening the slide, when you are half a sleep you often forget to do it until you are ready to flush,this defeated the whole idea of venting noxious smells before using the loo,
    I decided to fit a second fan downstream of the first and switched it on by a PIR as you enter the toilet,
    This I also connected to a small strip of LEDs at low level so any nocturnal trips didn't disturb others sleeping by using the main lights,
    It works a treat and is adjusted to switch off after four mins unless you trigger the PIR again:thumb:

• Like Like x 5
  15. Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil Read Only Funster

Thats exactly what we are fitting, as we have a large holding tank, to have the pir on it will mean that it will start automatically.

Still to fit it yet, think we are going out near the roof, was thinking of the floor, but thought the smell might hang around.

Pat

• Like Like x 1
  16. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Our USRV had a 2" vent to the roof from the black tank , the natural draught means it doesn't need a fan .. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  17. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

No you are not. You are paying for all the tooling and excellent quality parts made with that tooling. I was very impressed with the quality.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Wellll.. At Peterborough I arranged to buy a spare cassette off of Scotties.. and it already has a vent fitted, so that is one less expense .. :thumb:

Love the idea of an LED or some such indicator.. The amount of times I have got up in the night, done the biz, and being half asleep left the bloody flap open !!
    Get all tucked in and then wonder what the very faint whirring noise iS :Doh:

Terry, many thanks for that :thumb:
    Will study what you have done and may be asking questions :Wink:

Jim, trying to keep roof holes down to a bare minimum at the moment but lets face it, there are an awful lot of bloody good ideas and inventions that come via the USA RV scene and can appreciate the advantages of such a set up

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  19. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

You spin that up too fast and sure as hell you'll never suffer constipation. Problem is you may lose your manhood.

We will know this when you change your handle from Jaws to OneHungLow.

20. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

I bought a SOG Type A DIY at the NEC but when I read the instructions about sawing the saddle bracket in half, I bottled out of fitting it. Perhaps I may now pluck up the courage to have a go :Rofl1: