DIY Satellite Broadband (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Thanks Steve, adding internet to an existing dish is obviously more complicated than just adding the iLNB.

For that reason I am leaning towards the free standing option. Nowhere near as convenient, but would only use it when on site for a few days or more. I suppose it does give you more flexibility as to where you can park, in shade etc.

I have emailed SI with these questions but will post them here in case anyone knows the answers.......

How difficult (time consuming) is the set-up process with the free standing dish?
Can I have a plug fitted on the MH so the cable plugs in, rather than having it stuck through a window?
Does this kit give me a wifi zone in and around the MH?
Can I stop and start the contract?
Is there anything else above and beyond the supplied kit that I would need?

Thanks

Steve

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The best cabling option is to use 3.6mm Mini RG59 cable, we used it a lot when we used to repair Alden roof units that had a tendency to "snag" the coax in the central feed tube (the bit that allows the cable to go into a fixed base and allow the head to rotate 359 degrees) At only 3.9mm you can easily get a couple of cables through. On the Alden SatNet Internet system we would replace three cables with no problems.

Ku band is a lower frequency that Ka (hence the name) and "most" current Ka iLNB's are massive in comparison, and not ideally suited for mobile operation. Ku on Astra3 seems a very good compromise, or performance, coverage and cost

I would suggest that anyone wanting to convert a redundant system ensure that they can acquire Astra3 before spending any money. It would be extremely frustrating to build a unit only to find that your system cant be reprogrammed to Astra3 or that the manufacturers will only do it by selling you an expensive new control unit.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Yes you can run twin shotgun cable as this is what I did last year as I installed a twin LNB onto my Oyster system. Here are a few pictures:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
How difficult (time consuming) is the set-up process with the free standing dish?
Can I have a plug fitted on the MH so the cable plugs in, rather than having it stuck through a window?
Hi Encantador,
See @shawn&emma post above they say quite quick with practice.

You would need two "F" plugs, units are available in motorhome accessory shops, as it uses two cables but best not to have joints as they reduce the signal.

No, but simple wifi routers are available look at the Solwise one £48 or I think MotorhomeWifi do the same one.

I think you can but have to pay the set-up fee £50 each time

A tripod mount or a good pole on MH?

Hope this helps.
Steve

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thanks for your time Eddie, glad you are busy, I have emailed Newtec so just waiting to see what they have to say. If they reply!
Steve

If you want to be taken seriously always best to call in the first instance, make a connection followed up with emails.....

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Thanks Steve, adding internet to an existing dish is obviously more complicated than just adding the iLNB.
Yes it is, mainly time consuming stripping down the old system and re-engineering bits and then getting the new cabling into the motorhome.

For that reason I am leaning towards the free standing option. Nowhere near as convenient, but would only use it when on site for a few days or more. I suppose it does give you more flexibility as to where you can park, in shade etc.
Yes it does, but! consider the theft aspect, meaning that you'll be tempted to put the system away every time you go out, and with a heavier than normal iLNB securing the tripod when it is windy will be an issue. iLNB's are pretty fragile things when blown over and dragged along the ground. Using your old system will be hassle to convert but much more convenient once done.

I have emailed SI with these questions but will post them here in case anyone knows the answers.......

With Astra 19.2 degrees, Astra 23.2 degrees and Astra28.2 degrees its pretty busy up there, I have no experience of setting up a manual internet system, but, setting up a manual system on Astra28.2 can be "challenging some days lol
Yes Maxview sell a twin RF inlet. If you are going to lobb in through the window use a couple of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1712...ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80
No, when we install the Newtec box with the Oyster system we install it with a 12volt wireless router to allow multiple WiFi users. You would have to do the same.
Don't know with that particular ISP but IPCopter do/did a "nomad" contract allowing you a set number of days that you had, that didn't need to be used consecutively IE a few this month, a few next month and so on.

Hope that this helps a bit

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Agree with Eddie if your going to do this do it properly with an automatic roof system. Theft, damage, high wind and setting up hassles all much easier. The cost will pale into insignificance eventually and for a business tax deductable?

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Using your old system will be hassle to convert but much more convenient once done.

Thanks Eddie, very useful.
Unfortunately, I don't have an old system.

Thanks
Steve

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Interesting, I stripped the Teleco Satellite dish down, first problem was getting the top off, it needed the plastic to flex to get past the spindle that holds the dish assembly. Ok when the plastic is nice and new but after a few years in the sun! So a bit of heat to soften it from a hair dryer and off it came. After seeing the pictures from @dpsuk999 above I was a bit surprised to find that everything was mounted on the rotating plate.
But the centre tube which takes the LNB cable and the control cable is nice and large so I should be able to get 3 or possibly 4 cables through.
Next problem getting good quality cable locally in South of France. Finally gave up and ordered 10mtr of Shotgun cable from SatCure. £8.50 postage but still cheaper than 10mtr of no name standard 6mm cable here.
So just waiting for that to arrive to continue the modification.
Steve

Dish Motor Top off.jpg

Dish Motor Plate bottom.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Hi Shawn,
My mistake, I didn't realise the Ku band had zones so mistook it for the Ka band which has many zones just to cover Europe.
A picture would still be nice of the kit that Sat-Internet supplies and also the diameter of the iLNB boss if you can measure it because if it is different to the 40mm of the normal LNB I will have to make a new clamp or try and find one somewhere to fit my Teleco dish. Don't worry about scanning the manual.
It is a shame if S-I's customer service is so bad as they seem to have the best offer by far.
@Jim reported earlier in the thread that he was getting good internet in the Algarve on the Ku band, so hopefully the same for you.
Thanks for the help.
Steve

Hello Steve. Sorry about the slow response, had lots of goodbyes to do in Kent as we are hitting the road for a while. Arrived in Dorset yesterday and just set the dish up this morning. 20 miniutes from start to finish.
What I found in the highlands of Scotland and being on the edge of the zone was that dish needed a little more fine tuning to get the best signal.

Here's a couple of photos and the LNB is 40mm

Shawn.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    300.5 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
That's great Shawn, quite a set-up you have, exactly what I wanted to know and see, great that the boss is 40mm, I have a few good 40mm LNB clamps so saves fabricating one.
Your photo's should answer some of the questions from @Encantador rather than him using a tripod.
The only problem I have now is whether Teleco will come up with the Criteria for automatically seeking the Astra3 satellite. Which I actually doubt, so will have to do a bit of fiddly manual tuning then add the second LNB pointed from the side to Astra 2 at 28.2E then from then on search for Astra2, so not insurmountable.
If anybody knows whether these are standard figures or something special to the Teleco box I would be grateful to hear.
For 28.2 east they say to use the figures below. it may be a common set-up or particular to them. I have searched for satellite transponder frequencies but can't find anything to match those figures, but then I often ask the wrong questions..
Steve
upload_2015-10-26_14-38-50.png

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hello Steve. Sorry about the slow response, had lots of goodbyes to do in Kent as we are hitting the road for a while. Arrived in Dorset yesterday and just set the dish up this morning. 20 miniutes from start to finish.
What I found in the highlands of Scotland and being on the edge of the zone was that dish needed a little more fine tuning to get the best signal.

Here's a couple of photos and the LNB is 40mm

Shawn.
I notice you have fitted an earth cable, is that just connected to the dish assembly to eliminate static or do you put an earth spike in the ground? A bit difficult on concrete. :unsure::confused:
Steve

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
I notice you have fitted an earth cable, is that just connected to the dish assembly to eliminate static or do you put an earth spike in the ground? A bit difficult on concrete. :unsure::confused:
Steve

Couldn't get to the bottom of if I needed to earth or not.
So put it in anyway, goes to the dish assembly then runs down to the chassis. Maybe someone can confirm if this is needed or not

Shawn.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Couldn't get to the bottom of if I needed to earth or not.
So put it in anyway, goes to the dish assembly then runs down to the chassis. Maybe someone can confirm if this is needed or not
Shawn.
I would think it would keep everything at the same potential as the iLNB is plastic but unless it has a ground spike it will just float rather than being grounded. Big rubber tyres are a great insulator.
Interesting I just spoke to S-I rather than waiting for an answer, really nice guy Michael O’Donnell, I said about them having a bad reputation for replying to emails and he thanked me for saying as he was the only one on Sales to do emails so should give him something to report.
So I am about to order everything from him to set up the house and Motorhome. Teleco have come back with the standard "You need a new controll box" rubbish as @eddievanbitz suggested they would, but I think I can get round that by using the two LNB set-up, hope so or I will be putting a scaffold pole on the back like yours.:(:eek:
Steve

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back