DIY Fitting LPG tank

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Kon tiki, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Kon tiki

Kon tiki Read Only Funster

Has anybody fitted their own LPG tank? Is it difficult to do as DIY? Does anybody know what the largest size you can fit on a Renault Master chassis? I am looking at the MTH gas tank I fitted a Gasgow bottle on my last van but like the idea of freeing a locker & having the tank fixed on the chassis.
    At the moment I have been told by a dealer that the biggest size I can fit on a renault is only 20 litres:Sad: was hoping for something a bit bigger.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  2. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Cool: Hi Kon tiki. Fitting an LPG tank isn't that difficult. Straightforwards DIY dependant on where the tank(s) are sited. With regards to size you can fit to a Kontiki? If it's anything like our's? Then the 20 litre sounds about right. How about on the roof or at the rear above the Tow bar? I have seen boxes fitted to the rear in that position. :Wink:

3. Kon tiki

20 litres is slightly smaller than the standard 11 kg bottle & the cost of the MTH tanks is the same from 20 to 70 litres. I can get it fitted at the dealers before I collect the van but I'm not getting it much cheaper than if I go to MTH (do they do them cheaper at the shows :RollEyes: I could always wait), I am contemplating fitting it myself & saving about £200 but I would obviously like to get the largest size possible for the convienence.

I wouldn't have thought fitting on the back or the roof would be practical or even safe :Wacko: It could be fitted in the garage but it would defeat the object of giving me extra storage space.

Has anybody got a Renault Master based motorhome fitted with a LPG tank, if so what size is it?

4. vicdicdoc

vicdicdoc Read Only Funster

Have a look at the pic's on my jokingly called 'website' . . . you'll see the size of tank fitted under the chassis of our van - a for DIY, I think unless you 100% sure you can tackle the whole job its best left to experts.
    Vic & Sylvia's : Photos

5. olley

olley Funster

6. Baldy

Baldy Read Only Funster

Sure

I am sure it can be done, although on a personal level, it is not a task I would undertake. Oh yes, and do not weld it in place, when it is full.

7. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Boxes fitted to the rear do not contain a combustable material, rear shunt, bang, oops:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

8. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

remove the last two letters from the address (to) for it to work

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  9. Kon tiki

There was me thinking I could weld it straight to the chassis & then use a candle to check for leaks :Rofl1: Reminds me of the time when we lived in the USA & the exhaust had broke, the place I took it to just gas welded it back together (I moved off down the street as he was welding it right next to the petrol tank:Eeek:)

Thanks for the pics Vic,
    I don't have a problem with attempting most jobs DIY I have an engineering background, but I am not as fit as I used to be. In fact after building my last campervan in November I decided that it's just not worth the effort. I always like to get all the information I can before tackling any job, if I can get it done for not much more than the DIY I am happy to let somebody else do all the sweating & swearing that is required & I will just make the coffee. I fitted the Gaslow bottles on my Frankia which ws simple. Mechanically I'm pretty confident electrically I read a lot before I start & double or treble check eveerything to make sure its ok.

Olley
    I couldn't get the link to work & couldn't find any info on the site but have emailled them for info.

I won't be picking the van up until next week but I am thinking of not having them fit the tank as it is very expensive (over £600) for a 20 litre one DIY price is around £400. Might still have to consider the Gaslow or other refillable cylinder type. Until I get the van I don't know how much space there is to fit a under floor one.

Thanks for all the advice

10. Kon tiki

11. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I have heard good things about this guy previously.

12. Kon tiki