DIY backbox

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Terry, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Terry

Terry Funster

Thinking about making a backbox and fitting onto the back of the van (where else:BigGrin:) problem is I have both water filling and fridge vents on the back:Sad:
    Idea is to make a couple of ali brackets out of 3mm angle iron that can fold down and sit the box onto them leaving around a 4 or 5 ins gap for the fridge vents and fit above the water filling inlet.This should then allow another fixing to be made around 3/4s way up the box/brackets :thumb:
    Any thoughts on the idea and if 4 to 5 ins will be wide enough for the vents or even if I could get away with 3 ins gap from the vents ?
    Box size at the moment is 10 ins wide by 39 ins long and 30 ins deep ish (250mm x 1 mtr x750mm ish:Wink:) it may also grow to 1.5 mtrs long
    Terry

• Like Like x 1
  2. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Can you not get one on top?

May need to think about departue angles/parking/recovery length of vehicle. From your avatar, it looks like yuou have roof bars, so a large roof box should do the job fine.

3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

your likely going to need to fit a fan to draw air over the fridge and duct the hot air and any gasses from the flue when on gas up and out behind the box

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Ooooh !!! a massive airbrake on the roof.

its even advised to remove roof racks, not just box's, from vehicles when not in use to reduce drag and improve fuel economy...no reason why that shouldnt apply to a motorhome as well.
    in addition, if you place heavy-ish objects in the roof box the vans handling can be affected due to a higher centre of gravity.

as a rule of thumb...heavy weight low..light weight high

• Like Like x 1
  5. Terry

Terry Funster

Already got the top one, wanting to remove it as it costs around 4mpg:Eeek: hence the BB idea:Wink: and the not so sure on length. At the moment only carry a couple of chairs, spare wheel, jack and tub of dogfood up there.If I go for shorter length no room for spare wheel, but it will look neater, if I go wider it will have to fit to one side of the ladder or further away from rear of van partially over the ladder
    See link below to see pics of van rear:thumb:
    I am on tab so cannot post pics as they are on main comp :Wink:
    Terry

6. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi Terry, this is something we saw in Germany, thought it was a good idea. :thumb:

Its hinged on one side, and a jockey wheel on the other. :BigGrin:

Bit of RSJ and a welder and away you go. :Rofl1: Bob.

Attached Files:

7. Terry

Terry Funster

Heres a pic of rear :thumb: smaller box could be centred larger would need to be off centre or be forward ie 5 ins to get centred but blocking ladder --alternative would be to remove rack and ladder :Eeek::BigGrin:
    terry

Attached Files:

8. Terry

Terry Funster

If I have my thoughts and info right 3 ins should give ample for gasses to vent :thumb:but also if I centralise box that means it has to sit 5 ins away to clear the ladder :Smile:Hope you can visulise what I mean :Wink:-l bottom of box would be above water filler and top would be below window -but this in turn would funnel the gas flue close to the rear window :Eeek:
    terry

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

small trailer....

best of both worlds with heavier/larger load carried and.no van payload used ... except the hitch download weight. :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Terry

Terry Funster

No good John -no towbar :BigGrin: plus I have almost 3/4 ton spare payload when full inc full fuel and water tanks :Wink:
    terry

• Like Like x 2
  11. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Beeny box/s?

12. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

This isn't looking one of your best ideas.

13. keith

keith Funster

This what you after Terry?

Doesn't solve your ventilation problems but made a nice job for me. Built by a guy near Skeggy' on our return earlier this year.

We towed a trailer for 3 years on winter trips but a small trailer is a pain to reverse or to remove if in a tight situation so have now gone down your route and I am very pleased with the finished job.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  14. GlobeStar

GlobeStar Read Only Funster

Why not make a tall cupboard type box and hang off the ladder if it has the weight to do so. It is designed to carry the weight of a man at the end of the day. Be out of the way of the fridge altogether then.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Hi Terry. I have a full width alloy back box that I had made with the German runners attached. You will have to fabricate the sleeves that they run into, but that should be no problem. This system is designed to slide in and out, allowing different settings. Its lockable and all alloy construction. You can have it at scrap value weight even though it cost me £700 to have built.

• Like Like x 2
  16. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

without a top box you dont realy need the ladder so mount it on the ladder

• Like Like x 1
  17. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Mel thanks for the offer but I have everything in garage to build one for nowt or maybe 1 sheet of ply depending on size I go for :thumb:
    terry

18. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

They aren't too bad, as most of the air has come over the overcab anyway, and the box at the rear being lower and aero style anyway, most just carries over. Ideal for putting tables/chairs, barbeque and windbreak in which are bulky, but not heavy items.

I don't like the square ones you often see, though!

19. peter marshall

peter marshall

A pal of ours took his back box off, he was followed by an other friend who told him the back of the MH was flexing, his is a one piece back where your already has weaker points due to the fridge vents etc, you might be better off having a tow bar mounted box. Pete

Ps pals box wasn't overloaded.

Pete

20. Terry

Terry Funster

You are forgetting it's a self build with 6x2and 4x2 timber frame made for the hole the doors left,this was then covered with 1.5 mm ali sheeting instead of the 0.5 mm ali that most vans are covered with.This also gives me a pretty unique 6 ins wide window sill at the rear for the boss to stick handwash and bananas on :BigGrin:(don't even go there):Wink:
    terry