waynesworld

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
RADCLIFFE
Funster No
MH
non yet
Exp
Hi all, this mite be a mad idea but i am always thinking out of the box, now i have this pick up

tn_IMG_3025.jpg

tn_IMG_3027.jpg

It has a 1100kg payload, tow capacity of 3.5 ton, the rear axle payload is 750kg, now my main problem is the regs of a DIY built 5th wheeler, i would be using, up to now, a 50mm ball hitch ( unless other will advice different ) and removable frame hitch bolted to the tractor unit chassis, the main body will be around 12 foot from back of camper to tailgate of tractor unit and then 3 foot over the unit bed, as i will be building my own the CoG can be adjusted with the position of the camper axle to give the required nose weight, i believe is 150kg...?

Upto know this is all i have found out, but the main Q, what are the regs needed to both build my own ( as there are new self build rear hitch trailer regs ) is it the same with artic type trailers.

Do i need a certain type of category on my licnece for a unit of this type?

Please bare with me on this :Smile:

wayne::bigsmile:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
VWalan is your boy best PM him what he dosn't know abour self build mini artic/5th wheelers you could fit on a matchbox.......and he knows the law on them as well.....so no my mate says.

All the best and good luck Rick.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, may i suggest you use a conventional small fifth wheel in the back.
its not too difficult to build . you will have to decide how you are going to work brakes etc . could be air . or some use electric to a solenoid that pulls cables . the yank systems arent normally up to eu spec so i cant advise them.
to be an artic 20%of the load must be imposed on the towing vehicle . very few 5ers are in fact artics .
more details would be needed to let you know if you can tow what you think of doing .date passed car licence etc.
if you do take it to artic then again is the vehicle going to be used commercially or just private this all changes the way to go.
also more vehicle details . gvw .front axle weight .rear axle weight . plus train weight .
it may be you can build a normal 5er.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
W

waynesworld

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
RADCLIFFE
Funster No
MH
non yet
Exp
hi, may i suggest you use a conventional small fifth wheel in the back.
its not too difficult to build . you will have to decide how you are going to work brakes etc . could be air . or some use electric to a solenoid that pulls cables . the yank systems arent normally up to eu spec so i cant advise them.
to be an artic 20%of the load must be imposed on the towing vehicle . very few 5ers are in fact artics .
more details would be needed to let you know if you can tow what you think of dpoing .date passed car licence etc.
if you do take it to artic then again is the vehicle going to be used commercially or just private this all changes the way to go.
also more vehicle details . gvw .front axle weight .rear axle weight . plus train weight .
it may be you can build a normal 5er.

I was about to PM you.

To answer

The small 5th wheel you mention, have you a link to see one, and if it can be removed when not needed?

For now i have a cable setup as in trailers for the brakes, but that will depend on the hitch used now.

Passed in 1991, but as diabetic got the 7.5 ton removed some years ago and never bothered to get it back.

Will be used as Private use only.

GVW 1.7t

Towing weight 3.5t

rear axle 750kg and 350kg front, i will get a real figure tomoz as its dark now and no torch to look on the plates.

What do you mean by a `normal 5er`

Good to hear from a chap who isnt critical and helpfull:Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
think something is wrong with those weights you give .
there should be a plate on the vehicle,the front axle and rear dont even total the gvw you gave .
right normal 5er what most have like landy lover or niche marketting stuff etc .
mine is a mini artic . actually puts 50%of load on to towing vehicle . its not just fit a ball in the pickup bed and have an overrun hitch set up .
mine uses a gast compressor from califonia . a hydraulic to air operating valve in your vehicles brake lines . air tanks . on the vehicle plus another on the trailer . axle equalising valves . its not simple . airis sent to the tank on the trailer through the red pipe .then sits waiting till i press the pedal . the hydraulics operate an air valve that sends air to realease the stored air to the brake actuators . they then pull cables .could be bars .
give a pm . its hard to write easy talking . or ring 07971962361 .

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
vwalan I bet you are now drawing things on the back of fag packets and anything else you can find in readyness:ROFLMAO:

great to have people like you on here:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its not that difficult .the worst part is the cost of these things like 700quid for the compressor 350for hydraulic to air valve 450 for the trailer valves never mind pipes tanks susies etc i like the leccy version but havent seen it on new ones for a while .talking with vosa it should be ok .but the air system is to an eu approval. they keep telling me the yank system doesnt have eu approval. so i never use it. i know fifth wheel company use the same system as me and i copied lynton as they are the bees knees in trailers .

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
its not that difficult .the worst part is the cost of these things like 700quid for the compressor 350for hydraulic to air valve 450 for the trailer valves never mind pipes tanks susies etc i like the leccy version but havent seen it on new ones for a while .talking with vosa it should be ok .but the air system is to an eu approval. they keep telling me the yank system doesnt have eu approval. so i never use it. i know fifth wheel company use the same system as me and i copied lynton as they are the bees knees in trailers .

jees! thats a lot of dosh, could he not just mount that boat in the picture on the back :ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi building to a proper spec is never cheap cost a couple of thu in bits when i converted my mitzy. i replaced the valves on my trailer soon after i got it . but it is 25 yr old this year. . lynton have used an electric solenoid system had it on another trailer . that was nice but again expensive . think many would be amazed at the cost of trailers like mine when new . possibly the strongest construction ever . all alloy chassis and floor .alloy frame work and sides . clear fibre roof . incredible strength . youve seen where i take it . there was one on e bay a few weeks ago ideal base for someone that wants to self build . might be the way for wayne . things have to built right or every one gets it in the neck.
try a google on lynton trailers or vipex .both top of the range . nice 5er on lyntons but i,m still not sure if the genny is big enough .

OP
OP
W

waynesworld

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
RADCLIFFE
Funster No
MH
non yet
Exp
This is going to be to expensive for me to do:Sad:, so i will stick with the demountable camper as from the start :Smile: Atleast then i can trailer my off road toy around aswell.

Thanks vwalan for the help:winky:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
keep your eyes on ebay .some come up with really crappy tow units .but you can use the fittings etc . never say never . next week might be just what you need .

OP
OP
W

waynesworld

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
RADCLIFFE
Funster No
MH
non yet
Exp
Ok, i have been looking into this and the camper that i will want to build will not be all that big actualy, do the regs stand with these 5th wheelers as with hitched trailers and brakes, if i was to build one of a max gross weight of 750kg then i dont need a brake system? The main body will only be 11 foot and the luton 4 foot, the construction will be of foam and GRP with ply inner on a steel chassis. I think i can build it less than 750kg.

I will also be building my own hitch frame for a 50mm ball hitch, would this be legal or need to be tested now, i say now as i have heard of new DIY trailer regs.

Wayne:Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi ,mine is 12 ft on the bottom and 8ft up the step. you may be able to build it but then not carry anything . also i think you would struggle to build one .most demountables are about 750kg . thats with out axles and wheels hitches etc.
you still havent given proper weights for a decision if you can or what you can tow.
i,m also in the teardrop club of great britain having a 30 yr old tear . mine is incredibly light to go behind a m,bike and sidecar . but many tears are over 750kg . i think you will struggle .
dont mean to put you off but not sure if you really know where you are going . have to have quite a chassis to span 15 ft.
mine is built almost of aluminium . only the wheel boogie is steel and the axles etc . the rest is very light but i do think you are on a loser . sorry if i bring doom but 750kg is very light.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Agree Alan.

my little 12ft caravan on an ALKO chassis weights in at 650 kg with a max weight of 850kg.. can't see how you could keep a 5er under 750kg MAM

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

waynesworld

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
RADCLIFFE
Funster No
MH
non yet
Exp
Fair do`s, back to the drawing board then, sorry i havnt got the weights yet i am home tomorrow and i will see if i get them, i am sure they are still on the plaque on the bulkhead of the UMM,, i first i forgot as got distracted with a job i had on, then i gave up on the idea as the idea got to expensive for me with the brake set up, i had a look at a few old 5ers but even they were over my budget.

Thansk for help, much greatfull:Smile:

OP
OP
W

waynesworld

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
RADCLIFFE
Funster No
MH
non yet
Exp
Here you go Alan, i taken pictures of the weights, hope these make sence. They dont all that much to me, i am trying to search for the actual specs on the internet for these UMM`s, i have just joined and UMM club who will have all info i need.

tn_IMG_3102.jpg

tn_IMG_3100.jpg

talsvo

Free Member
Dec 12, 2012
NORTH
Funster No
MH
TECHNICAL
Exp
THIRTY PLUS
I was about to PM you.

To answer

The small 5th wheel you mention, have you a link to see one, and if it can be removed when not needed?

Passed in 1991, but as diabetic got the 7.5 ton removed some years ago and never bothered to get it back.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JOST JSK 26 D is one mini 5th wheel (0161 763 0244 ) . George Fischer also make one.

If your 7.5 t grandfather rights have been removed , have they also removed your trailer rights ? ( little image of car and trailer on your licence). If so you need to re take or get back your 7.5 t rights. Just apply and see what they say !!

As several others said I doubt you could build a sub 750 kg 'mini artic' , the pin,plate,and axle / chassis would be quite heavy to start with. Even the 'Alco' mini artic chassis was to heavy for this ( don't know if they still do this !) Brake laws have changed but I have always used air , simple and safe !

On your plate my guess is the 2720 ish Kg is the max kerb weight of the truck 5120 ish kg is the max mass ( weight) of truck and any trailer ! 1 & 2 are max front and rear axle loads.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back