Ditching my TomTom

Discussion in 'GPS Navigation' started by Jim, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Had a few over the years. Ive put up with their dodgy mounts, dodgy maps and expensive map upgrades. Now it keeps letting me down, it just stopped working twice in Lincoln last week. Then very often the map just disappears, the instructions are there but no road.:Eeek: Now they want £50 to upgrade my 1 year old map. Well they are not getting another penny from me.

Looking at this Garmin, http://www.johnlewis.com/231547412/Product.aspx I especially like the free lifetime map update part.:Smile: Who has an opinion on Garmin satnavs - Thanks

2. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

Get a SNOOPER Jim - its got all the Acsii sites and Camperstop Europe sites which includes most of the Aires in France on it plus other stuff as well:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  3. Camdoon

Camdoon Funster Life Member

Sat Navs will not be sold in a couple of years they will all be free/penny apps on Ip's or Android phones or tablets.

Interesting for social history but not much else.

Good value but look on this as being for 3 years tops.

• Like Like x 2
  4. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

Thanks for this Jim. We thought it was our cab overhang was the problem, but could not understand how random this was. Free map updates on the Garmin looks good, as does that advance get in right lane feature.
    Just waiting for Garmin comments now.
    Another request folks, anyone using iPad for navigation, how good is it and what bracket do you use please?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Leftlegger

Leftlegger Funster

I,ve been using a garmin nuvi for the last 3 years,got the updated europe maps.I got it because of the big screen ,I find it,s not so good as my Navman for getting the routes right,buy i couldn,t get updated maps for the navman:Angry:.The Garmin tends to take you round the houses a bit,like a woman,treat it right dont get angry with it and it,s a dream.Too often it freezes ,usually at a crucial roundabout or intersection.Now whats the model of that Snooper?:Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I wouldn't swap my antiquated TomTom 700 for anything. It has the whole of Europe down to Turkey and Morocco on it with all the Aires and Stellplats as Hagers will confirm :thumb:. Never had any problems with it at all. New technology is not always best.

• Like Like x 3
  7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 1300T about 2 and a half years ago after getting sick of Tom Tom mapping and upgrade costs. I also bought a lifetime map subscription so probably paid a little more than JL are asking for the 2445LMT.

There were one or two features I missed first off (differences between Garmin & Tom Tom) but overall the Garmin is better IMO. Lane Assist is very good but the Traffic information is just a gimmick and you are better off setting the radio to get the traffic broadcasts.

I looked at Snooper and spoke to some of their people at a show but they put me off by total refusal to contemplate allowing addition of user PoIs - sort of Apple attitude, you get what we think is good for you.

I also wouldn't go for any of the so-called caravan editions because the base mapping is just the same. Most PoIs that motorhomers would want are downloadable either free or cheaply.

• Like Like x 1
  8. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I already have sat-nav on my phone, Samsung galaxy S3, but the screen would be a bit small to see whilst driving so would still want to use my Snooper or similar large unit.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Leftlegger

Leftlegger Funster

just an added bit of info,my brother uses a small netbook on a cradle,with autoroute and a gps dongle £20 from maplin.
    ref the garmin.The lane information and pop up pics of approaching motorway junctions are great,but still let down by the idiscriminate freezing,may be improved on later models,mines a nuvi 1490.cheers

• Like Like x 2
  10. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

To be honest I have been thinking about one of these on evilbay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251044768269?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
    or
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260898929607?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

look good for the money just waiting for the seller to be back from holiday to ask some questions

I used to have an old garmin very old street pilot 111, it was good with free map upgrades but was a hassle cos had to do everything via comp (it was in the days of buy blank mem sticks and transfer from comp) having to type everything in full though was not fun.
    Nothing wrong with my tomtom just have never upgraded the maps in the 4 years i have had it other than that mapshare thing and these are as cheap as an upgrade.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Leftlegger

Leftlegger Funster

• Like Like x 2
  12. lorger

lorger Funster

I have had a Garmin Nuvi (number i cant remember) for 5 years now got the lifetime updates for one off payment of £75 which allows me to update 4 times a year i tend to do it about 2 times.

We haven't had many issues with it or its directions although pablomc might disagree when he was following us through parts of France at Easter and we ended up on this little ferry on the plus side ferry was free :Rofl1::Rofl1:

Friends of ours use their Ipad and have a bracket screwed on to the bottom of the drop down bed in their a class Hymer works really well and massive screen compared to ours.

• Like Like x 3
  13. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 1
  14. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Well I'm on my third TOM TOM, wouldn't look at anything else as I've never been let down. In fact Mike Beeches is buying my 5 month old 1000 Europe from me and I was going to splash out on the 1005 Europe Camper job at £380-£399, that is how much faith I have in the product.

As regards mounts, the mount that you get with the 1000 and 1005 is brilliant plus the magnetic placement makes mounting and storing a piece of cake..... are you sure it's not pilot error Jim?
    :Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  15. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

We still have the Garmin Nuvi 660 but the bloody thing will still send you down roads you should'nt ought to be on. I remember trying to avoid the M1 road works at Luton a few years back. The Garmin never sent me the same way twice which was a bit disconcerting:Angry:

The Snooper takes account of the MH size and routes accordingly. Just done 2500 miles in France and apart from an operator faux pax which consequently sent us through the middle of Dijon, it worked very well indeed:Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Camdoon

Camdoon Funster Life Member

Used a TomTom 720 and an Ipad down and back to Italy this year. Ipad was slow in kicking back into life coming off the Ferry at Calais but picked up a signal on the boat on the way back. Apart from that little difference(the ipad (male) was always 5 seconds faster then the 720 (female) which sounded like a nag).

Large display for old eyes was brilliant - just waiting for them to put the motorhome version as an option.

I did not buy a bracket but threaded a shoe string between the two centre air vents (the vents still worked and could be moved up and down, and left and right). The Ipad is then looped throught this and held with its cover (not an Apple cover). Easy to attach and detach and no tell-tail sucker marks. On my car this covers the radio (buttons on steering wheel) and heating controls (auto aircon so not an issue). A lot cheaper, safer and more robust option than any bracket

17. pablomc

pablomc Funster Life Member

I use CoPilot Live on my iPhone. Works a treat and you can download the maps you want to use in Europe to save space. Its main downside was that you cannot officially add bulk POIs, but there is a work around and it does not involve jail breaking. :Wink:

It has an RV mode which mainly prevents it from telling you to u-turn if you miss a turn and also the route preferences and speeds can be user set dependant on vehicle type selected.

No really problems apart from it screaming at me when we where heading for a ferry crossing at Easter when following Gerry. :Laughing:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Used to swear by it. The mount issue was about 3 generations ago, but debated plenty here on fun, it would just fall off and break. My last one the touchscreen went doolally and it took an age to input a postcode as it kept inputting letters and numbers other than those we were typing. That was a 910. Now this one 1000 really is poor, its needed upgrades because a software glitch meant it would not pick up a signal, that was fixed and now I have this intermittent freezing stuff and the map disappearing. All TT want is me to fork out for a new map. :Doh: Their customer service?.. Well they couldn't spell it..let alone deliver it..

19. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

I've had a nüvi 255W for about 4 years and purchased the lifetime maps a couple of years ago. Nice wide screen. Don't use half the features. Battery life OK when I can't be bothered to plug it in. Has received a few software updates with no issues. No freezing so far.

I've learnt the hard way not to blindly follow its advice and it took a while to realise that the "quickest route" option was not great unless you liked single-track roads all the time!

Overall though, it usually does a better job than me when it comes to navigating unfamiliar roads. Mind you, that's not difficult :Blush:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  20. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

I've got a map.

Craig

• Like Like x 2